I read a book this summer called "The Hunger Fix," which suggested that we can become addicted to certain types of food. The book mentioned high fructose corn syrup and aspartame as two substances that have been shown to be addictive in studies performed on lab rats.

I have always had a vice for soft drinks, so I began to wonder if I was addicted to high fructose corn syrup and aspartame. I realized that I was rewarding myself with Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi at work when I was stressed. I also realized that drinking a beverage with aspartame made me want to eat at the same time. Basically, I felt that I needed a snack when I drank a Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi. And I always craved something unhealthy and salty with my diet beverage. I rarely eat fast food but, when I do, I feel that I MUST have a Diet Coke with my meal. Otherwise, I would rather not eat the food. The idea of water with french fries is unappealing, so is there some connection to these foods? The idea of raw carrots (which I like) is equally unappealing when coupled with a Diet Coke.

Over the past several years, I would drink a Coke in the morning the same way a person would drink coffee. I would always feel very unfulfilled if I did not have one in the morning. It just felt like something was missing. I justified it because I would only have that one Coke each day and no more. I do not feel the need to snack when I have a Coke. All of this has led me to believe that I am addicted to aspartame and high fructose corny syrup. When I think about giving up soft drinks, it's emotionally upsetting to me. It makes me sad and embarrassed to admit as much, but I get really upset and defensive when I think about a life without soft drinks.

My question is: has anyone else had a similar experience with a certain type of food? What are your thoughts on food as an addiction or a coping mechanism?

Ideally, I want to go 90 days with no soft drinks, but I'm really scared that I can't do it. Otherwise, I am perfectly healthy. My weight is fine, and I am active. My blood sugar and cholesterol were great in April.

• Like 3

The issue is sugar and carbohydrate. A diet rich in carbohydrate promotes over eating and feeling unsatiated which in turn drives us to eat more. The American diet is full of it; sugar, maltodextrose, corn syrup, you name it. As you can tell by my username I'm a firm believer in a low carb high fat diet. Having removed most carbohydrate from my diet, my body runs on a steady ketosis which for me eliminates the need to eat regularly. I don't spike blood sugar and as a result I'm never overly hungry. I maintain 250lbs of lean body mass without the need to eat much carbohydrate. The consequence is that I eat a stupid amount of fat. Lard, duck fat, olive oil, butter, tallow, egg yolk.

My blood sugar and cholesterol were great in April.

Too bad cholesterol levels are not great reliable indicators of health.

• Author
The issue is sugar and carbohydrate. A diet rich in carbohydrate promotes over eating and feeling unsatiated which in turn drives us to eat more.

I wonder if there is an emotional component too? I can't see myself being tempted to a eat a lot of meat, veggies, or fruit. I can put it down without thinking about it. But when it comes to carbs (bread, sweets, potatoes), it seems to be more difficult to refrain. I don't even make brownies, cakes, or cookies. I don't keep them in my house because I don't trust that I won't overindulge. Carbs seem to be the foods we want to overeat.

• Like 2
  • Author
Too bad cholesterol levels are not great reliable indicators of health.

You're right. I think my low cholesterol is largely genetic.

I wonder if there is an emotional component too? I can't see myself being tempted to a eat a lot of meat, veggies, or fruit. I can put it down without thinking about it. But when it comes to carbs (bread, sweets, potatoes), it seems to be more difficult to refrain. I don't even make brownies, cakes, or cookies. I don't keep them in my house because I don't trust that I won't overindulge. Carbs seem to be the foods we want to overeat.

My philosophy is this: if you are going to eat the occasional slice of bread, or bowl of pasta, make it the BEST bread/whatever you can find. That's why I make EVERYTHING in my house from scratch. I bake my own sourdough bread which I indulge a bit on weekends. If you try substitute stuff we love for things made of ingredients we can allow, it all ends up tasting like sh*t anyway. You may as well eat the real deal less frequently.

When I started cooking with heaps of fat, I began developing a huge love for fatty food because fat adds tons of flavour. Now I find myself craving real fatty cassoulet or a thick wagyu steak. I even had butternut gnocchi in a top restaurant this past weekend and I'm still thinking about how good it was. It's just a conditioning aspect. When we let go of our addiction to sugar, it opens up so much opportunity for exploring new foods we may never have considered we would crave.

i have a serious addiction to those mellowcreme pumpkin candies they put out around this time of year, the same as candy corn, but the shape is different. i think those are high fructose corn syrup/honey. i can eat an entire bag of those, for days on end, generally when i am severely stressed. i am extremely healthy and exercise like a madwoman daily, but i get very sad/depressed about the thought of not being able to eat those pumpkin things by the bag. it is definitely an addiction, but i've always been of the opinion that the body needs sugar and that it's actually not beneficial to cut it (or any group of foods) out of a diet.

• Author
i have a serious addiction to those mellowcreme pumpkin candies they put out around this time of year, the same as candy corn, but the shape is different. i think those are high fructose corn syrup/honey. i can eat an entire bag of those, for days on end, generally when i am severely stressed. i am extremely healthy and exercise like a madwoman daily, but i get very sad/depressed about the thought of not being able to eat those pumpkin things by the bag. it is definitely an addiction, but i've always been of the opinion that the body needs sugar and that it's actually not beneficial to cut it (or any group of foods) out of a diet.

When I think of a life with no soft drinks, I get sad. It's so embarrassing to admit that, but it upsets me. I tried to stop rewarding myself with a diet drink at work, and I got really cranky. But I also don't want to be controlled by anything. It scares me. . . .

I will never buy a boxed brownie mix. I don't know what it is about brownies, but I seem to loose control around them. I haven't had a brownie in ages for that reason. I could probably eat 3-4 in one sitting.

• Like 1
  • Author
My philosophy is this: if you are going to eat the occasional slice of bread, or bowl of pasta, make it the BEST bread/whatever you can find. That's why I make EVERYTHING in my house from scratch. I bake my own sourdough bread which I indulge a bit on weekends. If you try substitute stuff we love for things made of ingredients we can allow, it all ends up tasting like sh*t anyway. You may as well eat the real deal less frequently.

When I started cooking with heaps of fat, I began developing a huge love for fatty food because fat adds tons of flavour. Now I find myself craving real fatty cassoulet or a thick wagyu steak. I even had butternut gnocchi in a top restaurant this past weekend and I'm still thinking about how good it was. It's just a conditioning aspect. When we let go of our addiction to sugar, it opens up so much opportunity for exploring new foods we may never have considered we would crave.

Were you addicted to sugar in the past? Do you think you are now addicted to fats?

Were you addicted to sugar in the past? Do you think you are now addicted to fats?

No never addicted to sugar. Although I enjoyed it a lot. Well I can't call it an "addiction". I simply really enjoy it, and the process of keeping on the wagon as far as energy levels go depends on if I can maintain the amount of fat during the week which can be tough sometimes. But no I wouldn't say I'm addicted, I just really like it :)

When I think of a life with no soft drinks, I get sad. It's so embarrassing to admit that, but it upsets me. I tried to stop rewarding myself with a diet drink at work, and I got really cranky. But I also don't want to be controlled by anything. It scares me. . . .

I will never buy a boxed brownie mix. I don't know what it is about brownies, but I seem to loose control around them. I haven't had a brownie in ages for that reason. I could probably eat 3-4 in one sitting.

One thing that's really cool that could help you is making your own carbonated drinks. Super easy and a really good way of having control of what's in it. Plus coke etc is disgusting and terrible for you. I'll never touch aspartame in my life.

• Like 1

well, they say to not stock the house/cupboards with treats for exactly that reason. if they are in the house you'll reach for it. i used to 'reward' myself w/a daily coffee at work. just a $1 coffee from the local coffee shop, but i would get quite upset if i missed that coffee one day, it was like the whole day was thrown off. i would look forward to 10am when i could go get my coffee, and etc. and then, i stopped. you have to somehow make an effort - if your issue is soda - to stop, and replace it with something else, at least a few times per week. i slowly started to replace the coffee with iced tea, and now i just go for a 10am walk. when any food is a 'reward' it's bad :(

• Author
One thing that's really cool that could help you is making your own carbonated drinks. Super easy and a really good way of having control of what's in it. Plus coke etc is disgusting and terrible for you. I'll never touch aspartame in my life.

Coke is so bad for me. I feel guilty when I buy it. I feel disgusted when I look in my recycling bin and see empty Coke cans. But yet none of that is enough to make me stop :confused:

• Author
well, they say to not stock the house/cupboards with treats for exactly that reason. if they are in the house you'll reach for it. i used to 'reward' myself w/a daily coffee at work. just a $1 coffee from the local coffee shop, but i would get quite upset if i missed that coffee one day, it was like the whole day was thrown off. i would look forward to 10am when i could go get my coffee, and etc. and then, i stopped. you have to somehow make an effort - if your issue is soda - to stop, and replace it with something else, at least a few times per week. i slowly started to replace the coffee with iced tea, and now i just go for a 10am walk. when any food is a 'reward' it's bad :([/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. It presents the ultimate quandry because we have taste buds. I can't eat something I find repulsive. So I eat stuff I like. But what if I like it too much?

well, they say to not stock the house/cupboards with treats for exactly that reason. if they are in the house you'll reach for it. i used to 'reward' myself w/a daily coffee at work. just a $1 coffee from the local coffee shop, but i would get quite upset if i missed that coffee one day, it was like the whole day was thrown off. i would look forward to 10am when i could go get my coffee, and etc. and then, i stopped. you have to somehow make an effort - if your issue is soda - to stop, and replace it with something else, at least a few times per week. i slowly started to replace the coffee with iced tea, and now i just go for a 10am walk. when any food is a 'reward' it's bad :([/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. It presents the ultimate quandry because we have taste buds. I can't eat something I find repulsive. So I eat stuff I like. But what if I like it too much?

you have to find close (and healthier) substitutes that can make you just as happy/satisfied.

• Like 1

I substituted iced tea for soda. After a month of no soda, it's really hard to go back on it. It's too sweet and sticky. I did this back in 2008 and have since been soda free. I'll have the occasional sip of soda at a party sometimes or mixed with alcohol, but I can't drink it straight.

You feel amazing once you give up soda.

• Like 3
  • Author
I substituted iced tea for soda. After a month of no soda, it's really hard to go back on it. It's too sweet and sticky. I did this back in 2008 and have since been soda free. I'll have the occasional sip of soda at a party sometimes or mixed with alcohol, but I can't drink it straight.

You feel amazing once you give up soda.

I was thinking of some kind of flavored water, but I don't want it to have aspartame or high fructose corn syrup in it.

I was thinking of some kind of flavored water, but I don't want it to have aspartame or high fructose corn syrup in it.

If you're going to do flavoured water then you absolutely should make your own. Some of these "flavoured mineral waters" have tons of sugar and other things. Doesn't really solve your problem.

One recipe that I have always loved is this, called a Rock Shandy in South Africa.. Lemonade, soda water, and Angostura bitters. Normally its made with Schweppes lemonade but it's much healthier to make your own lemonade and then carbonate it. Super addictive :) (But not really - unless you're also an alcoholic then you shouldn't use Angostura, but you're just using a few drops for the flavour - which is awesome)

Edited by lchf

Calorie ingestion in any form can be a bit of a drug. Veggies have few calories so they don't make for much of a fix.

I was reading people who get bariatric surgery have an increased risk of suicide, probably because they've had their coping drug taken away. Or at least had the dose drastically reduced.

Good luck BC, I've managed to quit soda for long periods of time but I always keep coming back to it eventually. :p

• Author
Calorie ingestion in any form can be a bit of a drug. Veggies have few calories so they don't make for much of a fix.

I was reading people who get bariatric surgery have an increased risk of suicide, probably because they've had their coping drug taken away. Or at least had the dose drastically reduced.

Good luck BC, I've managed to quit soda for long periods of time but I always keep coming back to it eventually. :p

I really think it is a coping mechanism. I've known several people who had bariatric surgery and eventually gained the weight back. I think it's because they don't get to the root of the problem that they are using food as a coping mechanism.

• Like 2
I read a book this summer called "The Hunger Fix," which suggested that we can become addicted to certain types of food. The book mentioned high fructose corn syrup and aspartame as two substances that have been shown to be addictive in studies performed on lab rats.

I have always had a vice for soft drinks, so I began to wonder if I was addicted to high fructose corn syrup and aspartame.

I deleted the part about you wanting to go 90 without coke- you can do it.

I was addicted to Diet Pepsi (really bad). They got me high, literally. I had to have at least two per day (cans), then after about a year it increased to 4 per day, then 6 and so on. When diagnosed w/Graves Disease in my studies of this new found illness, looking for the causes and ways I could make it disappear, I read that many had connected aspartame to their GD. I went cold turkey back in Jan of 2007. I have a diet coke (or pepsi) every so often now, but can feel it in my system now.

In researching aspartame (it was a long time ago) some said it was designed to be addictive along with FF (fast food). That there are chemicals in some of our foods meant to keep us hungry (per se).

Good luck BC... as far as addiction goes, I understand and know that we can become addicted to many things. Even things that we would normally say, 'you're kidding me, right?'

• Like 1
I really think it is a coping mechanism. I've known several people who had bariatric surgery and eventually gained the weight back. I think it's because they don't get to the root of the problem that they are using food as a coping mechanism.

Man, to go through all of that and then gain the weight back... my heart goes out to them and the struggle they face:(

• Like 1

I have always had a vice for soft drinks, so I began to wonder if I was addicted to high fructose corn syrup and aspartame. I realized that I was rewarding myself with Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi at work when I was stressed. I also realized that drinking a beverage with aspartame made me want to eat at the same time. Basically, I felt that I needed a snack when I drank a Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi. And I always craved something unhealthy and salty with my diet beverage. I rarely eat fast food but, when I do, I feel that I MUST have a Diet Coke with my meal. Otherwise, I would rather not eat the food. The idea of water with french fries is unappealing, so is there some connection to these foods? The idea of raw carrots (which I like) is equally unappealing when coupled with a Diet Coke.

Over the past several years, I would drink a Coke in the morning the same way a person would drink coffee. I would always feel very unfulfilled if I did not have one in the morning. It just felt like something was missing. I justified it because I would only have that one Coke each day and no more. I do not feel the need to snack when I have a Coke. All of this has led me to believe that I am addicted to aspartame and high fructose corny syrup. When I think about giving up soft drinks, it's emotionally upsetting to me. It makes me sad and embarrassed to admit as much, but I get really upset and defensive when I think about a life without soft drinks.

My question is: has anyone else had a similar experience with a certain type of food? What are your thoughts on food as an addiction or a coping mechanism?

Ideally, I want to go 90 days with no soft drinks, but I'm really scared that I can't do it. Otherwise, I am perfectly healthy. My weight is fine, and I am active. My blood sugar and cholesterol were great in April.

Its not bad. I've gone a full year with no soda. Don't miss it. My weakness has been Arnold Palmer that subway has. I need to get off sweet tea!

• Like 1
But when it comes to carbs (bread, sweets, potatoes), it seems to be more difficult to refrain. I don't even make brownies, cakes, or cookies. I don't keep them in my house because I don't trust that I won't overindulge. Carbs seem to be the foods we want to overeat.

Carbohydrates aren't bad. In fact, -whole food- starch diets are the mainstay of every great civilization. There's nothing wrong with potatoes and whole grains and corn and beans and other starches/carbohydrates...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Starch-Solution-Regain-Health/dp/1623360277

Its not bad. I've gone a full year with no soda. Don't miss it. My weakness has been Arnold Palmer that subway has. I need to get off sweet tea!

Are you speaking of Subways Sweet Tea? I totally love their Sweet Tea!

Oh yeah, I don't have too much trouble with sugar but my vice is dairy. I really don't know how to beat it. I think my only real option is to avoid it all together. Once I take a bite of cheese or a spoonfull of ice cream I lose my mind.

I did go paleo once and was without it for a good 5 months. I felt much better and lost tons of weight but I've never been able to get back to that. I might try to eliminate here again soon.