dilemmas everywhere i look

i really gotta stop smoking. im the type who can do it quite easily i just gotta buy a box of patches and i'll stick to them. i only started again 5 months ago after 4 years off when someone left a packet on my doorstep :) i enjoyed having a puff, it really broke up a heavy anxiety i was going through

but knowing how its denting my lifestyle and denting the quality of person i am today, soul full of toxins etc etc id prefer to be off them now

but thing is to do so i like to jog on beach often and go to gym often

but currently suffering from piriformis sciatica in my glute that wont go away, and my deltoid has a strain that also wont go away either. this means i cant jog nor can i do weights

so how am i supposed to substitute smoking with fitness training when im incapacitated physically

id like to go to yoga class but by the time evening arrives ive smoked 25 cigarettes and feel like crap

i dont know where to start, to become that fitness involved non smoker that i want to be, any ideas?

oh and i cant afford physio, because am only getting 10 hours work a week right now and having serious trouble getting more work which means im bored and smoking more just to pass the time

Edited by thunder777

Sounds like you just need to get more imaginative.

You can walk for a start.

I often get up before the sun comes up, chuck on some clothes and go for a walk for about an hour. I occasionally get sciatica and walking helps.

Take a look here for how to avoid pain and how walking actually helps:

2 Walking Tips to Avoid Sciatica Pain

I do some light yoga and there are tonnes of yoga vids on the internet which you can follow. I don't do as much yoga as I used to as I have a neck issue though.

My physio recommended a couple of things to me also, one was Intu-flow and the other was a Body Blade.

I follow some of the into flow vids on you tube and I had a pretty broke month so I watched a few demos of the Body Blade and I initially made myself one out of scraps of wood and a length of somewhat bendy plastic that I got for free with a purchase of some glue at my local DIY store. I did actually ask to buy some bits of wood etc. but they found some cut offs in the back and just gave them to me. :)

After a coupe of months using my bodged up version I bought the real thing with the full instruction video from QVC - it's superb!

Having said that though..my bodged version worked pretty much just as well but was a little lighter.

The Body Blade is great as it was designed for rehab but you can use it to the level of what you can cope with. I'm not all that strong so I am not near the bend of the guy who designed the thing.

Another thing with the blade is that it actually makes me laugh out loud (and sweat like hell too!)...the sideways steps mostly.. I have to stop, regain control of giggling and start again.

Use your imagination, there are cheaper ways to exercise.

I'm also a smoker but I also vape as well, I haven't totally switched yet though.

I have found when I use patches that I feel like my blood is coursing through my veins at break neck speed and I have have HAVE to be active. Maybe you get the same feeling? If you do perhaps patches are not for you. They don't make me feel calm at all. I felt calmer going cold turkey.

With vaping I don't get that blood coursing feeling either.

Vaping is also much cheaper than smoking. I would recommend getting a vape with a button to heat up the coil if you choose to try it out and go to a vape shop to try flavours.

Beware though that the standard liquids are 80% PG and 20% VG. PG is the stuff they make dry ice out of and many people including me have a severe reaction to it. VG is vegetable glycerine and I have no issues with it aside from a tiny cough on my first inhale. You can get VG only vape juice online and in some shops.

For physio you can try tennis balls...again..look it up online and learn how to.

I use them for my shoulders and back. Go very easy to begin with though...