DatingDirection

I hate dieting, don't you? Well, I shouldn't call it a diet, it's not, but if feels like one, when im hungry all the time, and im scared im eating the wrong foods all the time. I write down what i eat, im following a whole foods plant based diet, which should allow me to eat whatever i want as long as it's not processed or dairy. I still hate looking at the number on the scale, praying that my eating and excersice regime is going to make a big change in the whole 6 days i've been doing this stickly. I'm being sarcastic here. But still, knowing how long this will take me, i give it 6 months to 1 year to really change, lose 40-50 pounds, is daunting. I hate going to bed hungry, so tonight, im having oatmeal, and maybe some soup, im not sure about the soup, but im starving. I just came back from a long walk, speed walk, with a friend, who thank god motivated me to walk/run. But the whole idea of watching everything i eat, straving, and then weighing myself all the time, is just plain not fun at all. But then again, looking in the mirror isn't fun either, going to the mall, and wishing i can wear what i want, isn't fun. I need some fun in this "lifestyle" (DIET).

I remember my exW did the whole WW meetings, journaling, portions, points, all that stuff. Her sticking point was the aerobic stuff; doing it consistently, and sticking with the program long term.

Myself, I've done OK cutting out carbs and cutting way back on alcohol (beers are murder) and keeping up the physical stuff since I work in a physical job. I also stopped scaling myself, something I used to do nearly every shower. Meh, whatever. I was moving a scale to my new place and decided to step on it and, no surprise, I weighed a few pounds less than I did six months ago or whenever the last time I used it. No big deal.

The change for me was focusing on life. Life is my lifestyle now. Nobody lives forever.

40-50 lbs is an admirable goal. One of my customers was on death's door and he got drastic and they did some new and experimental procedure on his digestive tract beyond what we normally see in those gastric surgeries and he's down over 200lbs and off his meds and is like a new man. I was looking at someone my age I had known for 20+ years and expecting to go to his funeral in short order. So far, that appears to be premature.

Best wishes in your efforts. I wish I had an answer to make it fun. Each of us finds our own answer.

• Like 1
  • Author
DatingDirection

Thank you, just to clairify, im not on weight waters, i just used the title, because that's what im doing literally, and it's not fun :(.

"Diets" don't work...Lifestyle choices do.

For one, you shouldn't be starving and/or skipping meals.

Also, if you are increasing your physical activity, you need to refuel...in other words, if you are shrinking your food portions and increasing your physical activity, you are gonna be hungry cuz instead of increasing your food portions to meet your physical activity, you're doing the contrary.

When I was in the military and had training, I remember eating (well shoveling) three, full, square meals a day and still going to bed hungry. Why? Cuz we were running up and down from sunrise to sunset...

Now as a civilian, when I swim and/or run, those are my "hungry" days and trust me, I refuel w/o shame.

On top of eating to sustain your activity level and not skipping meals, NO dieting. No 'just eat meats'...No 'just eat veggies'...

The key is "substitution"...like don't use butter, use "I can't believe its not butter". Don't drink regular milk, drink soy milk. Don't fry...broil, bake, etc. Use olive oil vs regular oil.

Also, "treat" yourself. But don't damage your health by pigging out. I have sweets every day....BUT, I don't have a big cupcake or ginormous slice of cake. I can make the slice of cake you get at the grocery store serve for three or more servings, cuz I cut it up. I also have "junk food" once or twice a week.

I also eat what one would consider "junk" food, but I don't prepare it as such. For example, I "bake" the french fries and/or wings. I have turkey burgers on the indoor grill instead of frying it in a frying pan. When I fry an egg, I spray the pan with Pam...I don't use nasty butter and/or oil. I drink sodas, but the small cans that now Old Navy has in it's stores instead of the regular sized cans we all drink...I drink "light" beers 95% of the time.

So, you see, losing the weight and maintaining your health and figure should not be a prison sentence of "diets" and "depravation"...it's lifestyle changes, physical activity, and consistency...

Hope that helps...

• Like 3

Also, when it comes to skipping meals and/or starving...believe it or not you are making yourself fatter and it gets harder to lose the weight.

Why?

Cuz your body, when it's used to a certain intake of food and/or calories and you start decreasing it abruptly, the body goes into "survival" mode and holds on to the fat in your body. Metabolism also slows down cuz it doesn't wanna burn the bit of food/calories that you are putting in.

So, just eat right. If you feel like snackin' have some apples, nutz, etc....not a candy bar. So, you can quench your hunger and/or get a healthy sugar/energy rush w/o packing on the calories.

Yes, when you start reducing your portions your body will have to adjust, but don't do it too heavily and/or abruptly. Think of it as taking it down a notch so your body can adjust rather than just go cold turkey.

• Like 3

Gloria, great suggestions!

As someone who has (sadly) diverted from my five meal plan ... (summer heat) makes me less motivated to eat.. my weight shifted.. and not in a good way.

Getting used to hydrating more... with juices, teas(anti oxidant), water. Helps the body flush out toxins. Also with having five meals.. it paces out the digestive system. These are small portioned meals... with snacks in between. Had dried apricots... and a banana halfed to keep the potassium up.

I'd suggest a visit with a nutritionist , learned so much on which foods aide in weight loss while still gaining muscle. Keep

up the journaling.. it will become a good habit. and treat yourself to some snacks... raisins, nuts, or even a yogurt ...

• Like 3

I'd suggest a visit with a nutritionist , learned so much on which foods aide in weight loss while still gaining muscle. Keep

up the journaling.. it will become a good habit. and treat yourself to some snacks... raisins, nuts, or even a yogurt ...

Very important point too ^^. A nutritionist can help you even better, cuz everyone's bodies and habits are different.

I'd definitely suggest a nutritionist.

One thing they can tell you is why eating oatmeal is better in the morning than at night.

• Like 1
regine_phalange

I did a mediterranean diet from a greek nutritionist last year and lost 4 kgs in a couple of months. I literally ate all the time and nice pleasing foods. There were also alternative choices and i didn't get bored. in the beginning I had to use a small scale to weigh the portions, but then I learned the portions for bread, meat, cheese, rice, nuts, dark chocolate etc and could tell visually how much I should eat. And it was very sustainable, I'm thinking of starting it again.

• Like 1