Building muscle while on low protein diet

regine_phalange

So, I'm on a low protein diet due to health reasons. More specifically, I eat limited meat (small portion once a week), fish (small portion once a week), eggs (two a week) and dairy (I can eat small portions daily). I'm also allowed to eat one dish of legumes per week (fava, lentils, beans).

Is it possible to build muscle mass with this kind of diet? Is it going to be slower? Or is it going to be impossible?

SycamoreCircle

That doesn't really sound like a low protein diet to me.

I'm a 230lb, 39 year-old, jacked vegetarian man(eat fish and dairy) who has been bodybuilding since my mid-teens. The diet you describe sounds like my protein intake for a week.

I don't know your stats, but I would say you should be fine.

• Like 4
Clarence_Boddicker

Most humans eat far more protein than they need. Animal sources are the best way to get protein, especially cooked.

• Like 1
  • Author
regine_phalange

Awesome! :D Thank you guys. So in order to build muscle (not something significant since I'm a girl and I just want to tighten) what's more important is the total calorie intake? And lots of water?

I'm 5.4 inch and 132 pounds and a serving of fish and meat is supposed to be 70-80g for me.

To gain muscle you need to be at a caloric surplus and consume about 0.9 to 1.5 grams of protein per 1 lb of body weight per day.

• Like 2
Clarence_Boddicker

Since I can't edit my post & my phone is junk, I meant to post: animal based protein are NOT the best sources of protein for humans.

• Like 2
DivorcedDad123

What is in protein that you have to monitor your intake for?

My son has pku, so he cant have the amino acid phenylalinine. He only gets about 6 grams of protein per day because of that, but has to take a supplental formula to get all of the vitamins and amino acids that your body needs.

His diet is no meat, no dairy, no breads, no nuts, and limited veggies and fruits. When you restrict protein, you're also restricting other needed things like amino acids.

• Like 1

Well, if you are limited in your diet (sounds like you can get enough protein from the foods you eat though) you can try to get protein from beans, chia seeds, peas, dark greens or other legumes or a plant based protein powder. Usually to sustain or build muscle you would have to consume 1g of protein per lb of body weight, so if you weight 132lbs you should be eating 132g of protein per day to maintain and/or build muscle. This is what I was told by my trainer at least!

• Like 1

If you are having to limit protein due to a medical condition (I can think of one off the top of my head), do NOT try to 'supplement' with plant protein. The kidney does not care whether you are getting your protein from animals or plants, going over your limit will be equally dangerous either way.

• Like 1
  • Author
regine_phalange

Yes, I have a kidney condition in which there's protein leaking from my kidneys. It followed an episode of acute kidney injury and it didn't go away after I got better. As I mentioned in my first post even legumes are limited to once a week. I also kind of limit dairy.

Hey, I guess we'll see what'll happen in the long run with the muscles.

• Like 1
If you are having to limit protein due to a medical condition (I can think of one off the top of my head), do NOT try to 'supplement' with plant protein. The kidney does not care whether you are getting your protein from animals or plants, going over your limit will be equally dangerous either way.

Ah, I missed the medical condition part - reading too fast. Above post is right in regards to protein is protein. I honestly don't know the answer if you can build muscle with limited protein intake...you would most likely have to ask a professional such as a doctor/nutritionist or a certified trainer.

• Like 1
Yes, I have a kidney condition in which there's protein leaking from my kidneys. It followed an episode of acute kidney injury and it didn't go away after I got better. As I mentioned in my first post even legumes are limited to once a week. I also kind of limit dairy.

Hey, I guess we'll see what'll happen in the long run with the muscles.

I think you'll be mostly fine, from what I've seen. I don't think you can get ripped like the female fitness models, but there's way more to life and fitness than looking like that anyway. I DO think you will be able to maintain decent physical strength and muscle tone with reasonable exercise while adhering to your protein intake limit.

All the best! Take care, it must be difficult having to deal with that condition. :(

• Like 1
  • Author
regine_phalange
I think you'll be mostly fine, from what I've seen. I don't think you can get ripped like the female fitness models, but there's way more to life and fitness than looking like that anyway. I DO think you will be able to maintain decent physical strength and muscle tone with reasonable exercise while adhering to your protein intake limit.

All the best! Take care, it must be difficult having to deal with that condition. :(

Thank you sweet Elswyth. Thankfully the kidney condition is not painful or anything so at least I can move and do things and exercise. I don't care about the "ripped" look, it wouldn't suit my flowery personality :D But i do want to be tighter and be able to have a good range of motion. I guess I'll be able to build muscle, little by little. I was thinking that I can eat meat the days I workout, after exercise so I can help the muscles heal and grow.

• Like 1

I think you are getting enough protein, should not be a problem. Most people eat too much.

Check out vegan bodybuilders website. They probably don't consume excessive protein.

You do need to lift the weights though :)

What workouts are you planning to put on muscle?

Edited by joseb
  • Like 1
  • Author
regine_phalange
I think you are getting enough protein, should not be a problem. Most people eat too much.

Check out vegan bodybuilders website. They probably don't consume excessive protein.

You do need to lift the weights though :)

What workouts are you planning to put on muscle?

Oh, I didn't know such a website existed! Even though I need to limit vegetable protein as well I'll check it out! 1000 thanks.

I don't exactly lift weights, I don't enjoy it. I prefer girlier exercise :D I'm doing the ballet beautiful workout which is rather tiresome and burns a lot. I wanted something that's challenging but not tearing the muscles too much at that phase. I eat my protein after the workouts. I've started noticing lovely results two and a half weeks now, so I guess the low-protein diet is sufficient.

More specifically I do the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXv8j3Lxtac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KlnteHnZaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l-scthNLrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CleZelki_L8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A3f_Gk0RsM