fitnessfan365

To this day, running sprints is still one of my favorite forms of conditioning. My favorite sprint workout is on a track where you sprint the 100 yard straight way sections as fast as you can, and walk the curves for recovery. You do two sprints per 1/4 mile, so doing 8 sprints over a mile in this fashion is an AWESOME workout.

• Like 5

I have always loved sprints. They make me feel so high. Unfortunately I invariably pull a muscle (quad usually), which renders me injured for months at a time. Hence I've given them up. :-( How do you keep from getting injured? It doesn't seem to matter how long I warm up or stretch...

regine_phalange

I'm a beginner in running but I also love sprints! I can't do them for long, but I attempt them anyways. It's the only way for me to have fun during running - I don't like running slowly.

• Author
fitnessfan365
I have always loved sprints. They make me feel so high. Unfortunately I invariably pull a muscle (quad usually), which renders me injured for months at a time. Hence I've given them up. :-( How do you keep from getting injured? It doesn't seem to matter how long I warm up or stretch...

1) Strength training - It's the foundation of a healthy body. The stronger you are, the better you move, and the less injuries you sustain. A lot of people (women especially) avoid it. Doing full body weight training 2x a week including squats, lunges, etc can go a long way.

2) Proper conditioning - High intensity exercise (Crossfit, sprints, boot camps, etc) is really popular now. One selling point is better results/less time. The problem though is that no one gets in proper shape first. People that don't workout at all or that do low-moderate intensity exercise (walking, running, swimming, cardio equipment, exercise classes, etc) jump right in. Then they either get injured or burned out.

I have all my clients build a base level of conditioning for a minimum of three months before they even attempt sprints or any other form of super high intensity exercise.

• Like 1

I'm no "runner" but this workout is pretty fun!

OP ~ you say this is good for conditioning...what kind of conditioning (cardio, strength, fat-burning)? Also, do you ever try to build on the workout you mentioned (like run longer sprints, or more of them)?

Sprinting is really amazing except that I hurt my back and i can't pin the reason why, either weight lifting, traveling with a heavy backpack or sprinting with no sufficient stretching and warming up.. I could be the combination of all of these I don't know, all I know is that I can't even walk like before without my lower back hurting me ......

So my advice is to stretch real good before and after sprinting ..