Unexplained arm and chest pain

Been having a bit of a rough time lately with some pain that started last Wednesday.

Something is cutting off circulation in the right side of my chest, all the way down my arm to my hand. I've got blue veins sticking out from my chest, through my shoulder, into bicep and forearm. My arm is slightly puffy, and reddish. When held next to my other arm it definitely is noticeable that it's discolored and swollen.

The pain is originating in my armpit area, all around it, from above the armpit, below the armpit, and near my chest. Can't lift my hand higher than head height because of the swelling in the armpit area. When I lay down the throbbing pain reaches to the right side of my neck, and into the back of my shoulder. Nevermind the pain in my arm that keeps me up at night.

My health insurance expired on June 6th, and I'm in the process of getting enrolled in a new one, but it could take up to 30 days for them to confirm. If I went to my ER, the copay just to be seen would be $900. I'll wait til my arm is purple and falling off before I go there.

I can't figure out what's going on. On wednesday the pain was light, and I figured maybe I strained a muscle a bit working out. Over the days it's gotten worse, and while I'm not ruling out muscle strain, I question how long it would take for muscle strain to start getting better. Would it really take this long, getting worse, before getting better?

A friend suggested a blood clot. Not impossible, my mother has had 6 surgeries due to blood clots and artery issues, so it wouldn't be surprising.

A coworker suggested lymph nodes, and this makes sense. Considering the swelling and pain is originating all through the axillary area, lymph nodes seems logical. She thinks maybe my body is trying to fight off a sickness, and the swelling in the lymph nodes is pushing against a vein, cutting off my circulation.

Ibuprofen and ice haven't helped. Heat makes it worse. My goodness, my veins freak out just from taking a shower. Trying to go about a normal day at work, lifting heavy things and moving around alot, being quite active, is very hard and putting a strain on me. I was nearly in tears by the time I left work today.

Anyone experienced something like this? Anyone familiar with muscle strains or wonky lymph nodes? Not sure what I can do to help relieve the pain until I can get to a doctor. Mostly, I just want to be able to sleep.

Anything vascular should be looked into immediately.

You can pay off the $900 in payments.

• Like 5
whichwayisup

BORROW money from family or a good friend. Waiting is not good, you should go to the ER stat!

I'm not going to even try to guess at what is going on with you.

• Like 1
  • Author
Anything vascular should be looked into immediately.

You can pay off the $900 in payments.

My friend who told me that he had to pay $900 did mention payments. He also told me that since it's 4th of July weekend it'll be a madhouse in the ER, and that I should go at 2 am. He even said that him and his wife would come get me at 2 am and take me there themselves...

My mother also wants to take me to the ER. Which alarmed me. My mother is always the first one to have a "suck it up, throw some dirt on it" attitude about things. Heck, the day after I had oral surgery as a child, she made me go to school! The fact that she immediately got serious and offered to take me to the ER.... that's a strong influence on me.

My truck had glorious timing, and took a dump this morning. It needs to go to the mechanic ASAP. That's gonna cost money... probably way more than I'd be okay with. Without my truck, I can't get to work. I barely make above minimum wage as it is, and only just scrape by with bills. Add on a mechanic bill and whatever medical crap I might end up with, and there's no getting by...

The $900 is JUST the copay. That was for my friend to be seen by the doctor, and the doctor gave him ibuprofen. I'm probably gonna at least need an x-ray, and lord knows that'll be a couple grand. I had an MRI at an ER about 10 years ago and that was $6000 alone.

Last thing I wanna do is raise a fuss over this, spend hours in the ER and pay almost $1000, just to see him and tell me I'm fine and to take some advil. Good god....

The dilemma is just so frustrating...

loveweary11

Literally don't worry about co pays or whatever.

Get it checked out soon.

Did you get bit by something out in the wild desert maybe?

Either way, if it hasn't gone down by morning, I'd go straight to the ER uninsured. Don't worry about the bill.Hospital bills are grossly over inflated. You can negotiate it down later. Hell, I'll go in halvsies on the $900. We could do a go fund me campaign. Enough of us here appreciate who you are and the help you give here, I'm sure we could knock the whole $900 out in 24 hours.

Additionally, the price is not the price with medical stuff. They over inflate it to stick it to the insurance companies.

I had a $10,000 overnight stay once. Went to the billing office in the morning on my way out. Said I'm uninsured. Price changed, i kid you not, to $1,000, which I paid on the spot.

Scary part is, they still made something off $1,000. That was over their cost. It's criminal what they do if you don't negotiate.

Get the service, worry about billing later. I m happy to help in any way I can. PM me after the service. I can even knock them down in price later if that's not your thing.

NOT A DOCTOR disclaimer.

Lymph nodes sounds legit, as in fighting off some infection or what have you, also there are nodes in the armpit area. If you feel around there, is there a particular sensation of soreness?

One comforting thing about lymph node pain I never used to know is that when they're sore, that means they're doing their job. I used to always think that a sensitive lymph node was a reason in itself to worry, but they can get sensitive just from cleaning yourself up from the flu, etc.

• Author

Heh, I DO have a bugbite on my left shoulder, but that happened on Friday. I get bugbites a lot actually =/

I'm hoping that if I end up going, by the time billing comes around my insurance will be official and all of that can be handled properly at that time. I don't know if that's a thing that's possible, but I would hope so.

It's kind of you to want to help LW, but I'd hate to do that. If the bill becomes an issue I will figure it out as best I can, but moreso I'm just glad to hear stories from others who've dealt with ridiculous ER situations. I don't feel so alone knowing that it's something others have handled and made it past.

Jen, when I even just lightly press my armpit, the pain is excruciating. The area of it nearest my bicep is quite swollen, a bit hard. The areas lower near my ribcage are also very tender and swollen. The right side of my chest, just above my breast, is also tender to touch, but not as bad. It's swollen enough to make the veins visible though.

loveweary11

Pain wise, you can definitely go the ibuprofen route and exceed the recommend dose on the bottle by quitema bit, temporarily, as that's what they do in the hospital anyway. They juyst give you some ibuprofen horse pills foir pain. 800mg a day is normal.

However!! You must rule out any cardiovascular issues, since ibuprofen is not suitable for those with cardiovascular problems!!!!

Ibuprofen 800mg - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses

So be cautious there, even at the OTC dosage.

Sounds like its time to take your friends up on the offer of a ride to the ED.

Stuff like this never happens at the "right" time and your health is more important than your truck.

• Like 1
  • Author

Interesting thing about the bugbite scenario... when my mom got a clot in her leg artery, her foot swelled up and was painful. She thought she'd been bitten by some nasty spider.

After weeks of not getting better, she thought it was gout... several months later excruciating pain for her, and the clot dislodging and heading towards her heart had her emergency lifted to an ER. I remember the nurse telling me quite matter of factly that my mother had almost died. Not sure it was the most prudent thing to tell a 15 year old, because I promptly freaked out.

But I would never wait so long as she did.

loveweary11

Usually, you can feel the swollen lymph node sticking out like ba tumor.

Jen, when I even just lightly press my armpit, the pain is excruciating. The area of it nearest my bicep is quite swollen, a bit hard. The areas lower near my ribcage are also very tender and swollen. The right side of my chest, just above my breast, is also tender to touch, but not as bad. It's swollen enough to make the veins visible though.

You could always try urgent care first, altho by the sound I'd guess they'd want to send you to the ER anyway. I think you should go hon. :)

Do you have anyone to go w/you?

I'm hoping that if I end up going, by the time billing comes around my insurance will be official and all of that can be handled properly at that time. I don't know if that's a thing that's possible, but I would hope so.

It's kind of you to want to help LW, but I'd hate to do that. If the bill becomes an issue I will figure it out as best I can, but moreso I'm just glad to hear stories from others who've dealt with ridiculous ER situations. .

Also if you live in an area that has a large university, they are bound to have free or discount clinics.

Clarence_Boddicker

Go to ER as a homeless person. Don't bring ID. Give a fake name & SSN. Don't park in their parking lot & don't bring any IDing info with you. They can't refuse you & are not gonna call the cops to fingerprint you. You have something potentially very serious. I'd go now, not wait a month.

• Like 2
Interesting thing about the bugbite scenario... when my mom got a clot in her leg artery, her foot swelled up and was painful. She thought she'd been bitten by some nasty spider.

After weeks of not getting better, she thought it was gout... several months later excruciating pain for her, and the clot dislodging and heading towards her heart had her emergency lifted to an ER. I remember the nurse telling me quite matter of factly that my mother had almost died. Not sure it was the most prudent thing to tell a 15 year old, because I promptly freaked out.

I would take a baby aspirin, not for the pain but for mild blood thinning properties. That's part of the protocol in the ED for anyone suspected of having a stroke or heart attack.

If it turns out to not be vascular, it won't make any difference but if it is vascular, it could make a huge difference.

• Like 1
  • Author

If I go, it'll be tomorrow, I'll have my mom take me after I drop my truck off at the mechanic (joy -__-). My friends have work but my mom is off for the summer, so she will be free to take me.

I don't want to freak you out any more than you already may be, but this is tough for me to read because when I was in my early 20s, a very good friend of mine died from a bloodclot. She was far too young and didn't know what hit her. She was not as lucky as your mother. It doesn't take months for it to happen.

I would get yourself checked out ASAP.

I'd just go Phoe - get it off your plate sooner rather than later. They'll probably just give you some antibiotics and you'll be home tonight in time for True Detective. ;)

• Author
I would take a baby aspirin, not for the pain but for mild blood thinning properties. That's part of the protocol in the ED for anyone suspected of having a stroke or heart attack.

If it turns out to not be vascular, it won't make any difference but if it is vascular, it could make a huge difference.

My mom's on blood thinners due to her vascular issues, so that makes sense. Do you know what it is that's in baby aspirin? An ingredient to look out for?

I've got advil right now (not helping)

My mom's on blood thinners due to her vascular issues, so that makes sense. Do you know what it is that's in baby aspirin? An ingredient to look out for?

Go to the ER. You can always work out a payment plan with the hospital *If* you're alive. If you wait you might not have that option.

• Author
I don't want to freak you out any more than you already may be, but this is tough for me to read because when I was in my early 20s, a very good friend of mine died from a bloodclot. She was far too young and didn't know what hit her. She was not as lucky as your mother. It doesn't take months for it to happen.

I would get yourself checked out ASAP.

As far as the freak out are concerned, I'm keeping calm and not jumping to conclusions, because I do think it's probably just some wonky infection or a badly placed muscle strain making things swell up.

I honestly am amazed my mother is still here. That clot could've stopped her heart, given her a stroke, any number of things. She spent months waiting it out, despite mine and my father's pleading for her to get to a doctor.

I'm sure the ER is swamped with post Independence Day drunken/firework accident stuff right now... I want to wait it out until tomorrow. And partly just want to wait one more day just to see if maybe it gets better.

loveweary11

Best short term advice ^^^^^

Its just one ingredient but its different than Advil (Ibuprofen) or Tylenol (Acetominophen.)

Try soaking in an epsom salt bath?

The ED today may not even be that bad. Most likely all the chaos that was going to happen has already happened last night and earlier today.

Are you attention seeking? None of this should be diagnosed by lay people on the Internet. Get to a doctor ASAP.

• Like 2