I'm training for my first half-marathon this fall. I've done up to 10 miles thus far, but that was several months ago so I'm a little out of practice. I stay in shape with weight training, so working on my cardio is key for this. :)

What is your suggestion of how I should go about this? Should I do interval training (walk for 1 min, sprint for 30 sec) or should I just go out there and run. Keep in mind, I'm slow...like 5.5 mph jog slow.

Thanks in advance.

• Author
JJCaliGirl

Thanks, Harrardin.

I do have the time during my week, so this is definitely feasible.

• Author
JJCaliGirl

I've heard mixed reviews of crossfit. It intrigues me though.

My typical week is like this now...

- Monday: Interval training

- Tuesday: Boxing

- Wednesday: Weight training

- Thursday: High intensity training including Tabata

- Friday: Yoga

- Saturday: Running/Hiking

- Sunday: Rest

I know I need to up my running, and I'm getting there.

I can do 10 miles without breaks easily.

My question to you is this: To prepare for this half marathon do you run on a treadmil or outside? This will matter. On a treadmil you want to incline it to about 1.0 or 1.5 to replicate real-world running (otherwise, you are wasting your time). Personally, I do 6mph on a treadmil and 3.5 incline for one hour, no breaks. It is much harder than it sounds and my GF can't last 25 minutes on that set up (and she's run a marathon before). She's obviously not conditioned for my set up, but still.

If your goal is to conquer the half marathon, then the best way to prepare would be to run as you would run the marathon to condition yourself for it.

Also, I don't consider 5.5mph as slow. If that's your top speed in a short sprint, then yeah, it's slow. If that's your average speed over three hours of tunning, I think that's great.

Lately I have been doing weights in the morning and running in the evening. Will probably run the LA Marathon next year with my GF. It falls on Valentine's day!

• Author
JJCaliGirl
I can do 10 miles without breaks easily.

My question to you is this: To prepare for this half marathon do you run on a treadmil or outside? This will matter. On a treadmil you want to incline it to about 1.0 or 1.5 to replicate real-world running (otherwise, you are wasting your time). Personally, I do 6mph on a treadmil and 3.5 incline for one hour, no breaks. It is much harder than it sounds and my GF can't last 25 minutes on that set up (and she's run a marathon before). She's obviously not conditioned for my set up, but still.

If your goal is to conquer the half marathon, then the best way to prepare would be to run as you would run the marathon to condition yourself for it.

Also, I don't consider 5.5mph as slow. If that's your top speed in a short sprint, then yeah, it's slow. If that's your average speed over three hours of tunning, I think that's great.

Lately I have been doing weights in the morning and running in the evening. Will probably run the LA Marathon next year with my GF. It falls on Valentine's day!

I'm definitely an outside runner. I began on the treadmill and beyond doing interval training on it, I stay as far away from a treadmill as I possibly can. It's just too boring for me. :)

My typical speed for under 5 miles is 6 mph but for longer distances I drop to 5.5 mph. I think that was my speed when I did the 15k which included a few beastly hills.

I know I just need to run more. We got a training schedule for the race and it's a little extreme for someone who hasn't run anything over 10 miles. It has us running that distance on the long day in week 3! I know it's doable but I just need to run!:p

I appreciate your advice!

Hey there 3 to 4 days of running should be enough anything between 3 to 10 miles should help you tempo long run easy run casual run speed session do at least 80% easy and 20% hard/hard easy?? lol but the key to running is building a good base > good luck with yr half training

• Author
JJCaliGirl
Hey there 3 to 4 days of running should be enough anything between 3 to 10 miles should help you tempo long run easy run casual run speed session do at least 80% easy and 20% hard/hard easy?? lol but the key to running is building a good base > good luck with yr half training

Thanks for this info. I've been told if I can do 10, 13 is doable. I know that just being part of the race will get me through whatever happens!