Got my first tattoo, but how do I care for it as it heals?

I decided I needed to face my fear and just go get it done.

That was yesterday, and while the artist did give me some tips, I was kind of in the moment and didn't really get most of it. He gave me his number, and I called and asked for more details, but that didn't help me much either.

So to the tattoo'ed portion of LS, how do I take care of this thing for the first few days?

Thanks in advance.

amaysngrace

Vaseline and keep it covered and sunblock if it's exposed to sun is what I remember but it's been years.

Aquaphor, you can get it in cosmetics isle at CVS or Walgreens.

After a shower just squeeze a little out and apply it over your tatt. Use enough to cover it, but don't drown it.

After a it peels (usually about a week) you can switch to non fragrant lotion.

• Like 1
  • Author

Right now the top layer is coming off, but I would not describe it as peeling.

Its more fibrous. Like under my shirt it kind of bunches up into little balls.

Hard to explain.

I did get some aquaphor, but when I took a shower this morning and used the natural soap, I was afraid to use any pressure.

Then when I went to get the soap off, that proved difficult without pressure.

Vaseline and keep it covered and sunblock if it's exposed to sun is what I remember but it's been years.

Big no no Amay. Vaseline is too thick. It's doesn't allow it to breath and causes it push out some ink. You must've had work done a long time ago?

I got a lot of ink. lol

amaysngrace
Big no no Amay. Vaseline is too thick. It's doesn't allow it to breath and causes it push out some ink. You must've had work done a long time ago?

I got a lot of ink. lol

It was a while ago yeah. I said that. :p

• Like 1
  • Author
Don't pick the little crusties off.

Will do, I'm trying not to touch it but HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TICKLE MY DAUGHTER WITHOUT HER TOUCHING IT :(

• Like 1
Right now the top layer is coming off, but I would not describe it as peeling.

Its more fibrous. Like under my shirt it kind of bunches up into little balls.

Hard to explain.

I did get some aquaphor, but when I took a shower this morning and used the natural soap, I was afraid to use any pressure.

Then when I went to get the soap off, that proved difficult without pressure.

I think it's pushing out ink cause you might used too aquaphor.

Ease up on the aquaphor and the soap should rinse right off. You can use a little pressure, just get be too rough with it.

• Like 1
amaysngrace
Will do, I'm trying not to touch it but HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TICKLE MY DAUGHTER WITHOUT HER TOUCHING IT :(

Grab her hands and eat her belly? :confused:

• Like 1
  • Author
I think it's pushing out ink cause you might used too aquaphor.

Ease up on the aquaphor and the soap should rinse right off. You can use a little pressure, just get be too rough with it.

I'm applying as little as possible to cover the whole thing, and then using a paper towel to dab off the excess.

I'm not quite sure how much fewer can go on without not doing it at all.

What else sucks is I sleep on my stomach, and this is on my right pectoral.

• Author
Grab her hands and eat her belly? :confused:

I did that but shes got those very quick little feetsies.

As far as what it is, if people want to see it I can take a picture, but its impossible to describe. You'll either know what it is by sight, or you'll think "what the hell is that"

• Like 1
I'm applying as little as possible to cover the whole thing, and then using a paper towel to dab off the excess.

I'm not quite sure how much fewer can go on without not doing it at all.

What else sucks is I sleep on my stomach, and this is on my right pectoral.

You're doing right then. It's just the swelling, it'll go down after a couple of days.

• Like 1
  • Author
You're doing right then. It's just the swelling, it'll go down after a couple of days.

Alright cool. I really don't want to mess it up, because I have really bad Trypanophobia, so it took some serious onions for me to go in there and do that. I have no idea how I managed to pull that off. Anything I can do to keep it as pristine as I can will be met with open ears.

amaysngrace
I did that but shes got those very quick little feetsies.

As far as what it is, if people want to see it I can take a picture, but its impossible to describe. You'll either know what it is by sight, or you'll think "what the hell is that"

My daughter had a piece of my eyeball under her nail before but lucky for me it was just the white part and not the color so I know what you mean about them being quick.

MuddyFootprints

Go to a reputable shop and get one of their artists to check it out. I've never been tattooed without being provided with printed information and after-care product!

Just wait until it starts to itch! Getting the tattoo is peanuts compared to that. Lol!

• Author
Go to a reputable shop and get one of their artists to check it out. I've never been tattooed without being provided with printed information and after-care product!

Just wait until it starts to itch! Getting the tattoo is peanuts compared to that. Lol!

Ironically, as I am reading this, it starts itching for the first time.

The artist gave me a nice little list of things but I wanted to be absolutely sure.

He said when it itches just smack it.

• Like 2

keenly, neosporin and a telfa pad first few days. Clean it each time you reapply the ointment. Proud to read you took the plunge.!

I can't remember the exact name of the ointment... A&D? I used that on all my tattoos.

Don't keep it covered unless you are showering. Let it breathe.

Do not pick at the peeling, scratch at it, or touch it other than putting ointment on it to keep it moist. Don't drown it in ointment, just keep it moisturized to minimize the peeling and such.

• Author

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll leave it alone. In the shower I just shower with my back to the water because I'm paranoid about it.

I'm glad I took the plunge too, although I'm not sure what motivated me to do so.

I'm really liking it though. I've stared at myself in the mirror for quite some time. (although, lets be honest, I'm incredibly good looking regardless ;) )

CrystalCastles
sooo whats the tattoo

I second this. Come on Keenly, don't keep us in suspense, tell us!!

I can't remember the exact name of the ointment... A&D? I used that on all my tattoos.

Don't keep it covered unless you are showering. Let it breathe.

Do not pick at the peeling, scratch at it, or touch it other than putting ointment on it to keep it moist. Don't drown it in ointment, just keep it moisturized to minimize the peeling and such.

The A&D is fine it's just a little thick and you gotta be real easy when you apply it. The aquaphor is little thinner, less gooey and has less odor.

Aquaphor is like the new A&D.

• Like 1
  • Author
I second this. Come on Keenly, don't keep us in suspense, tell us!!

Alright alright. I'm going to attempt to post a picture, but I was kicked out of my room by a sleeping toddler, so I'm attempting via phone. Let's see.if it works.

Brace.yourselves, only people that hang out in the gaming thread are going to know what this is

• Like 2