"He Didn't Hear The Insults From His Doctors. But His Phone Did."

lollipopspot

This story is so disturbing:

The phone recorded doctors talking trash about him, under the assumption he would never hear them.

But he did. And so did the court, after he sued the two doctors who performed the procedure for defamation and medical malpractice...

https://www.yahoo.com/health/he-didnt-hear-the-insults-from-his-doctors-but-122340563062.html

Not only do they degrade him, they talk about lying about his diagnosis.

• Like 1
This story is so disturbing:

https://www.yahoo.com/health/he-didnt-hear-the-insults-from-his-doctors-but-122340563062.html

Not only do they degrade him, they talk about lying about his diagnosis.

I read about that online today and actually listened to the phone recordings. It's disturbing because it's probably more commonplace than people are aware of. You put your life and health in the hands of these people when you have to be anesthetized for medical procedures. The least they could do is act professionally and not actually lie on your medical chart which is definitely a ethical violation. I'm happy that the man won a settlement. I hope that doctor lost his medical license to practice and that the medical assistant is blackballed from ever working in the medical field again.

loveweary11

I don't think it's a big deal. Guy probably should have been nicer to them in pre-op.

Also, I can't understand how normal, on the job joking and banter can be considered defamation. It's joking between 2 people at work.

If they did do something wrong on the chart or with the diagnosis, different story, buy making jokes about somebody who is under seems acceptable to me. These people work very long hours in serious, non fun positions, dealing with jerks all day. A little humor would go a long way toward keeping them in a good state of mental health.

Where's that thread asking how to make a workplace better? This is how you do it.

They should definitely be dragged in front of the medical board if they did something like write in his chart he had hemorrhoids if he didn't, but a half a million dollars because they cracked a joke about syphilis when he was asleep? You can't be serious. He wasn't really damaged in any way, except for hurt feelings. Which you shouldn't be able to win money over.

Generally doctors pay for malpractice insurance, and that cost is passed on to the consumer. So we all get to pay for that when we go to the doctor.

If the colonoscopy went off without incident and the patient recovered normally from the anesthesia, no malpractice occurred. Bonus if the patient was found to have no cancer or polyps. Big bonus. The rest is fodder for social media. Perhaps the doctors will think twice when running their mouths while a patient is out. Rib each other about their golf games, sure.