"Granuloma" identified by radiologist. Supposed to get another xray in 6 weeks to see what it looks like then.

Granulomas tend to be no big deal, but it's still on my mind. It makes me think about my future. I've been sick lately anyway with some awful chest infection that reminded me what it feels like to really be ill.

And I'm reading into the behavior of the people at the clinic. "Oh! Obstruction on that slide, need to re-take this one. That happens sometimes." What kind of crap equipment do they use?

And the mention of the radiologist, which I told myself was a standard procedure, but is it? I don't know. I asked how big it was and the answer was "we don't know." So I should just call my doctor for another follow-up in six weeks.

• Like 4

Seems like the doctor isn't too worried. Hope you can rest easy knowing it's probably no big thing. Either way, saying a prayer, johan.

But illnesses and health conditions really can get us thinking about life. Is there something you'd like to be different about your future? What would you like to change? You don't have to answer here! But sometimes a little change is a good thing. Your current test results are probably nothing at all, but that doesn't mean it's not a good time to change something you want to change :)

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks for the support. I keep making up ways they would be strategic about it. I need my real doctor to tell me it's no big deal. I suspect they are just wanting him to see what kind of mess we're in and tell me himself. I don't know if they would do that. I just want to know the truth, every last little speck of it. Otherwise I am not going to really trust.

But yes, it would be good to think how to live better. I have a lot going on personally that is quite good, but it's all just waiting for bureaucracy to wrap up. Then my wife can come here and this will be our home. On nights like this, having her around would take the edge off my thoughts.

• Like 3
MuddyFootprints

I understand your fear and it's unfortunate that the radiology team was as unprofessional as they were. That is completely unacceptable.

Talk to your physician and get the images redone in 6 weeks.

Sometimes we need a really loud knock on the door to make lifestyle changes.

• Like 4
Fleur de cactus

Johan, unless you have other serious health issues you should not worry to much. Just take care of yourself and your healthcare providers will take care of the granuloma. it may be benign. So keep your hope and with support from your wife, enjoy your life. Good luck.

• Like 2
But yes, it would be good to think how to live better. I have a lot going on personally that is quite good, but it's all just waiting for bureaucracy to wrap up. Then my wife can come here and this will be our home. On nights like this, having her around would take the edge off my thoughts.

Waiting for a spouse is excruciating. But we're here for you in the meantime. And when you're reunited, all of the pain of waiting will disappear in an instant. Just don't lose sight of all you've made it through thus far! A little bit more and it'll be all over. :)

• Like 2
whichwayisup

Just know that the Dr's are on the ball about this and it seems they aren't concerned. Please try to not over think/over worry about it (easier said than done, I know!). Hugs to you and good thoughts only J!

• Like 3
  • Author

Thanks for the support, everyone! The little bits of peace of mind you're sending make a difference. It's great to see the good side of the site again.

• Like 1

Hey Johan,

You've been sick with a nasty chest infection.. it's just from that.

Hopefully they have you on so wicked antibiotics.. I've been sick for about 4-5 weeks with the cruddy chest infection too and only in the last week has it gotten better, being sick in the summer time just sucks..

Your wife being away and you being sick is just taking a toll on you.. hopefully you will get over the chest crud soon so your batteries can recharge, chin up till then...

You can always count on us here if your need us....

• Like 5

I went through the same thing, and it turned out to be nothing to worry about.

It actually turned out that I had scarring on the lung due to a case of TB as a child that nobody knew I had.

I was often ill and bed bound as a child, so the TB just got missed.

So thats my chest x ray story.

Take care and try not to worry.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine
Hey Johan,

You've been sick with a nasty chest infection.. it's just from that.

Hopefully they have you on so wicked antibiotics.. I've been sick for about 4-5 weeks with the cruddy chest infection too and only in the last week has it gotten better, being sick in the summer time just sucks..

Your wife being away and you being sick is just taking a toll on you.. hopefully you will get over the chest crud soon so your batteries can recharge, chin up till then...

You can always count on us here if your need us....

I second this. Granulomas are most often formed as a result of an infection. Given that you already know that you have a chest infection, it's nothing to worry about.

• Like 4
pureinheart
"Granuloma" identified by radiologist. Supposed to get another xray in 6 weeks to see what it looks like then.

Granulomas tend to be no big deal, but it's still on my mind. It makes me think about my future. I've been sick lately anyway with some awful chest infection that reminded me what it feels like to really be ill.

And I'm reading into the behavior of the people at the clinic. "Oh! Obstruction on that slide, need to re-take this one. That happens sometimes." What kind of crap equipment do they use?

And the mention of the radiologist, which I told myself was a standard procedure, but is it? I don't know. I asked how big it was and the answer was "we don't know." So I should just call my doctor for another follow-up in six weeks.

(((((((hugs)))))))) and if you don't mind sending prayers right now... I agree with Pie because I also like to read the reactions of medical personnel and typically if they don't trip, you are ok. I heard my doctor telling another patient (who was about 60-65) that he could have a full body scan, although be ready for 'checking' all of the stuff they find, like lumps and weird things that more so than not turn out to be nothing. Our bodies just do that, especially if there is inflammation.

I understand your concern ... Johan, I trip now every time I have to go to the doctor or dentist- even simple things. Ever since I got diagnosed with Graves Disease and then 2 days after that the dentist diagnosed me with periodontal disease I have panic attacks (bad ones)... so here's some warm thoughts sent your way.

Edited by pureinheart
  • Like 4
pureinheart

Now that everyone on your thread has determined there is nothing to be concerning about except for this chest cold... what are you doing for it?

Are you taking vitamins? Are you eating correctly and staying away from dairy products? (sorry, it's just the control freak mom in me)

• Like 4

Johan sorry to hear that you have a nasty chest infection. A granuloma is just a tiny area on the lung that is severely inflamed. Your lung tissue is inflamed. That's all. Happens with the flu and with pneumonia. Once the infection clears up, the inflammation will disappear and so will the spot of inflammation. So, it's nothing to worry about. Feel better soon!

• Like 3

Testing is so thorough and so risk-adverse, the pendulum has swung to 99% false positives. You know, if you took 100 perfectly healthy and symptom-free people and ran them through every common medical test available, you'd find lumps, nodes, cysts, anomalies, adhesions, calcifications, and unexplained thingies on every single one if them. The vast majority of those thingies are benign.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks, all. :)

This morning I went and picked up the radiologist report and the x-rays and saw for myself. I was so relieved to see that the spot they are concerned about is not large. Maybe the size of a pea. That doesn't mean, of course, that it's nothing, but at least it's not the football sized monstrosity that was showing up in my imagination all night. If it is just a "granuloma" that's ok with me!

I kept replaying the reactions of the people at the clinic, thinking, "they knew something... they're downplaying this until my own doctor can tell me the truth..." Awful thoughts.

I'll check in with my primary doctor on Monday, and hope to hear him say he's seen these things a million times. "No big deal!" Maybe I'd prefer to know that it's due to this bronchitis I have right now.

• Like 3
  • Author
Testing is so thorough and so risk-adverse, the pendulum has swung to 99% false positives. You know, if you took 100 perfectly healthy and symptom-free people and ran them through every common medical test available, you'd find lumps, nodes, cysts, anomalies, adhesions, calcifications, and unexplained thingies on every single one if them. The vast majority of those thingies are benign.

I hope mine also ends up that way. On the plus side the rest of the xray was crystal clear.

• Like 2
  • Author
I went through the same thing, and it turned out to be nothing to worry about.

It actually turned out that I had scarring on the lung due to a case of TB as a child that nobody knew I had.

That's amazing. If you read about these, it gives the impression TB is a pretty common disease and people often go untreated.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a history of smoking, working around other pollutants? I'm surprised they didn't go to a CT or MRI, or some imaging with contrast dyes.

What was your chest infection? Yes pneumonia and TB are possibilities too. TB isn't something to shrug off either. It has common drug resistance and the treatment is months long.

Yes, you want a radiologist to look at it. It's his specialty. General practice docs aren't as familiar with these things.

• Like 1
Realist2008

I guess I am in the minority here. If you feel in your gut instinct that something is wrong then I encourage you to investigate it. Get a 2nd opinion if you must just to make sure. It is your health and your body. You are the one that has to live with the consequences if the doctors by some chance make a mistake and underdiagnose you. It is usually good to get 2 opinions from separate doctors. I do the same thing with my car. If I take it to one mechanic and he says everything is fine and I'm not satisfied with that then I invesitgate a 2nd opinion.

The reason just about everybody here has encouraged you with a false hope that everything is going to be okay is because they come from a bias. Apparently many of them are close friends you made on this board so it is normal for friends to want to believe that their friend is going to be okay. Nobody wants to believe or think about the possibilities of their friend going through a health crisis until it is staring them in the face.

MidwestUSA

Just saw this, nahoj. Am thinking of and praying for you.

My bet is it's fine on your recheck. We're here for you.

{{{{hugs}}}}

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Was it the actual radiologist that told you this, or the rad tech? Because a rad tech isn't supposed to comment on what they see. And the radiologist would be able to answer your questions about size.

Either way, wishing you a speedy return to full health!

• Like 1