Ninjainpajamas

One of the most contentious topics of our age, is "beauty standards", "fat shaming", and in general what is a "healthy weight".

You can't escape the topic, nearly every woman thinks about it, or talks about...every person is concerned about it, millions of dollars are spent on dieting and you know the rest, I don't really have to make a case about such an obvious issue but an article on CNN caught my eye today in a disturbing way, and as I am not in my home country to see on the grocery aisle stands, I am really wondering if this is what people want or are asking for...

The article link to CNN: Size 22 SUPERMODEL 5'5 ft (165cm) 280 pounds (127 kg) on the cover of a popular magazine called PEOPLE

Is this REALLY what women are asking for?

I understand that as men we are basically as vicious and cruel as the marketing machine that force feeds all you women "unrealistic" images of beautiful skinny women, but when is it going too far? Do you really expect the "standard of beauty" to be defined by....well, just about ANYTHING? Is there even a "standard" of beauty anymore, or is everyone just "beautiful" these days?

I feel like there's a psychological revolution taking place with feminism, and it's this never-ending push to gain as much territory before men and even women to figure out what's going on and that's its gone too far...because essentially, men are being expected to be attracted to a woman that essentially looks like...

THIS

THIS

OR THIS

*all the same model in the magazine*

I understand that for women, you're all batting for the same team here...you don't want to be judged for a little fat there, or that perfect round butt or breasts you don't have, or whatever the situation may be...we'll pretend you're not jealous and wouldn't want it all as a woman and typically dislike other women that are better looking and skinnier than you even...

But seriously, if there's a sympathetic bone in your body, like the same bone that wouldn't let a little child starve...are you so completely removed from sensibility and what...dare I say, what a man should "expect" (without being beaten by 10 feminist bats) that you would just allow this kind of situation continue on? do you really need a woman who is double your size to be on the front page of a magazine so you don't feel fat or ugly about yourself or your body? are these the type of women you want your own daughters looking up to and feeling that it's "ok" to look that way, and all that mumbo-jumbo about BMI and "healthy" is just a farce and you should just be happy for "who you are" and "love yourself" no matter what you look like?

Is there not some line, where people at some point say "Ok, I want some leeway with my own laziness and inability to lose weight or not have to face the fact that I am a supermodel, but ok...this is a bit too much"...not that women would ever look out for men and what is "right" by us...because of course we should just accept every woman for who she is, or simply date the ones we want...even if the number of "wants" is decreasing ever so slowly, especially if this is where the bar is set for the future for "normal".

You can say whatever you want to men about what they should like and be attracted to, and yes there is a few small minority that do enjoy women of larger size...but let's be just realistic and honest, as men we can't all date supermodels, because we are not supermodels ourselves....but are you ready for fat, bald and ugly to become the "standard of beauty" for men...are these the "hotties" you want to see in the James Bond movies or actions flicks, are you going to drool over that? are you going to watch the "Notebook" a hundred times if the lead role was played by Danny Devito? I didn't think so, so why are men expected to be attracted to something most of us are inherently not? why is that ok? when is fat, bald, ugly guy making the cover of PEOPLE magazine as the a supermodel and a change in "standard of beauty"? not any time soon I'm guessing.

• Like 7
lollipopspot
I feel like there's a psychological revolution taking place with feminism

Why is everything related to women that people don't like labeled "feminism?" I don't think whatever this trend is has much if anything to do with serious feminism, and I doubt those models would even call themselves feminists.

• Like 8
CrystalCastles

I don't think feminism is at fault here. I'm a feminist, in the sense that I want equality for women AND men, but I don't support obese people being role models, sorry.

I think its got to do with the fact that people feel like we are all special snowflakes and everyone should be attracted to, and accept us as we are. This is not going to happen. I think I would be more sympathetic to people who are overweight or obese if they were not constantly being catty and insecure about their weight to a point where they have to bash thin people. I'm a thin woman, and I don't find it pleasant at all that "fat acceptance" seems to also go hand-in-hand with thin shaming. I defriended a woman on facebook a while ago because every day, she would post things on News Feed about how real men like curves, and dogs like bones. And how only women who are fat are beautiful. I remember that, one time when we were hanging out, she told me that if she had my body she would "bear all". Great. :rolleyes:

While I think that the modelling industry does need to rethink its models, because some models on the catwalk really do look like their skin has been stretched over a skeleton, I think that modelling obese people is the other side of the extreme. I think that if the modelling industry were to use healthy women with a normal weight, rather than obese women covered in cellulite or anorexic women, people wouldn't have this many issues with the industry. If I had kids, I would not want to have them look up to the likes of Tess Holliday. I would like them to look up to people who lead healthy, active lifestyles.

• Like 7
thefooloftheyear
Why is everything related to women that people don't like labeled "feminism?" I don't think whatever this trend is has much if anything to do with serious feminism, and I doubt those models would even call themselves feminists.

If I am reading the tea leaves here, it's because there is a growing movement among women(mostly progressive types=feminists) to take the typical look that drives men nuts (lean but with big tits, nice ass and hips, etc) and "replace" it with something absurd like whats in the OP...

I mean, only chubby chasers are gonna find that appealing, so if the majority of men reject it, then by default, it must be "good" for those women...

But what the hell do I know, right?

TFY

• Like 5

Healthy, normal models don't sell magazines.

They do sell clothes, though. Catalog models still look pretty healthy to me.

Here's an example of where I might vote with my dollar: Athleta

• Like 2

Also, fitness companies like Beachbody are thriving with female customers. Fit and strong is in. Is it really so dangerous for a fat model to get some work? I don't think women are stupid, nor do most strive to look like Tess. But if you do look like Tess, is it so wrong to feel sexy? I don't think so. Good for her.

• Like 2

5 foot 280 lbs size 22. Yeah keep raising the bar.

Where are we headed?

• Like 3

It is a very big world, some love bbw others hate them, but there is plenty room for everyone no?

Don't like a fat woman on the cover, don't buy it, don't look at her, don't go looking for fat women to judge or post links for others to laugh at or shake their heads at.

Or is this just another fat shaming thread with a covert or perhaps not too covert, bitter, misogynist, anti-feminist agenda...

• Like 7
Michelle ma Belle

I love how you assume overweight are simply lazy. Not necessarily true.

Besides OP, what do you care what the "trend" is regarding beauty standards? You're attracted to what you're attracted to. No one is going to force you to date or f*ck anyone you don't find appealing.

Don't worry.

• Like 11
autumnnight

For me it is not so much about beauty as it is about health. Telling young girls and women that 1280/5'5" is good and something to strive for is putting their health at risk. We can talk about the outlier exceptions all we want, but stastically, someone THAT size is going to have or develop heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, joint and muscle problems, lunch compromise...and on and on.

I have no problem with a woman being a size 12 instead of a size 2. But morbid obesity is a health danger.

• Like 5

I have the sense that many people are giving up on health and fitness. They can't stop shoving food down their mouths so they try to make fat desirable. You know, like smoking is desirable.

All about that bass.

There is nothing sexier than a woman with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. So why not add fat. Woohoo! You have to appreciate the irony of men like me in their fifties who are busting ass to stay fit and be as presentable as possible for potential mates, while younger people who could make twice the gains with half the effort, just give up and let themselves go. Just too much work eh?

Edited by Robert Z
  • Like 3
lollipopspot
You have to appreciate the irony of men like me in their fifties who are busting ass to stay fit and be as presentable as possible for potential mates, while younger people who could make twice the gains with half the effort, just give up and let themselves go. Just too much work eh?

But when you were younger I don't think you weren't into fitness either, from what I understand?

whirl3daway

There is nothing sexier than a woman with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. So why not add fat. Woohoo! You have to appreciate the irony of men like me in their fifties who are busting ass to stay fit and be as presentable as possible for potential mates, while younger people who could make twice the gains with half the effort, just give up and let themselves go. Just too much work eh?

As a female, I bet even your 50s-gainz are easier to come by than mine. :(

• Like 1
serial muse
I have the sense that many people are giving up on health and fitness. They can't stop shoving food down their mouths so they try to make fat desirable. You know, like smoking is desirable.

All about that bass.

Exactly. What's hilarious about this is that the All About That Bass lady, and People magazine for that matter, are hardly feminist icons. :lmao: WTF. It's just bizarre and kitchen-sink-ish to lump these various things together.

And I don't really get the pearl-clutching about ONE overweight model on the cover of a magazine that nobody takes seriously anyway. This is not life-altering stuff. I'm sure that the vast majority of future covers will feature slim women. Relax already.

• Like 6
As a female, I bet even your 50s-gainz are easier to come by than mine. :(

Ditto. :(

Id be happy if I could get half of roberts gainz.

Ive been into fitness for years. I definitely see a lot of youngsters blowing up, but then again I do live in the most obese state. *shrug*

whirl3daway

To be perfectly honest, I don't give a crap about who they put on the cover of magazines. Most of the time it's super hot models who I don't look like, and now it's some super fat chick who I also don't look like. This is why I don't buy magazines. I wish we could just celebrate people for who they are instead of what they look like. Fat shaming, skinny shaming, black shaming, height shaming, ughhhhhhhh. I can't stand this facet of humanity. I'm shaming-shaming.

Edited by whirl3daway
  • Like 1
Maleficent

I think the whole point is to break beauty standards and show women come in all shapes and sizes. So do men.

No one is trying to tell you what kind of woman you should or shouldn't be attracted to. If you don't want to date women larger than a size x, it's perfectly. It doesn't give you power to say women above that size shouldn't exist. Some people are attracted to obese women and some people simply don't care wgat size their partners are and have other preferences in a mate.

This all applies to men as well. There is just as much pressure on men to have a certain body type and there comes a point where we have to stop obsessing over what total strangers decide to do with their bodies.

• Like 5
sweetjasmine
If I had kids, I would not want to have them look up to the likes of Tess Holliday.

If your kids are looking up to celebrities who are on the cover of People magazine, then you've probably got a bigger problem on your hands. We're talking about a magazine that regularly runs stories on "Stars in Rehab." They've had celebrities like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robert Downey Jr. on the cover, and no one panicked about their kids looking up to heroin addicts as role models.

I would like them to look up to people who lead healthy, active lifestyles.

How many of the skinny people in People lead healthy, active lifestyles?

I just don't understand why anyone really cares that much. If having skinny people in the media affected people's behavior and encouraged fitness, we wouldn't have seen obesity rates rise in the first place. Why is everyone all of a sudden convinced that media drive health behaviors?

And I really have to laugh at people freaking out about this model being on the cover of People. Really? You guys are talking about People magazine, a garbage celebrity rag. Every single issue of People has weight loss tips this and "how I lost 100 lbs!" that and "beach body at 40" and "celebrity diet secrets revealed!". EVERY SINGLE ISSUE. But put one fat lady on the cover, and it's the end of the world.

• Like 5

It's not just the physical aspect of an overweight and/or obese person that is unappealing, but also the mentality that comes with it.

What mentality? The "blame Thyroid or some disease"...the "accept me as I am and if not, you're a jerk". The laziness - yes I said it.

I hate working out at times, but our bodies were made to be in motion. The body is a simple machine - what you put in (food) and how you maintain it (physical activity) is what makes it what it is.

Too many Americans don't cook and/or live off of a steady diet of Red Bull. Your body needs you to eat properly so it has fuel for physical activities and to not store fat (keep your metabolism normal).

Also, too many Americans have sedentary life styles. I see people with dogs who not ONCE will take them for a walk around the block. They pay people to cut their grass and/or do it once in a blue moon.

Now mind you, I'm not a fan of uber-skinny chicks either....

I'm a fan of "fit" women. A woman who is lean and mean. Watches what she eats (no diets, just moderation/substitution/cooking) and stays active - even if it's walking around the block.

So, I can't stand it when people wanna get mad when I call someone a "fatty with a cute face" cuz, sorry, a lazy mindset...a chick who just "lets herself go and has the audacity to present that to her man in a take it or leave it mentality" is disrespecting herself, her man, and no matter how cute her face is, her mentality and laziness is far from "attractive" to me and I don't get guys who put up/settle for that....but to each their own.

But that's the society we live in now a days - lazy people and women just emasculating men every chance they get. I've said this for years, which is if I were a guy, I'd be gay or perpetually single...cuz of the crap you gotta put up with women now a days.

• Like 4

More power to her but why do some feminists get all angry about the dad bod trend?

More power to her but why do some feminists get all angry about the dad bod trend?

Who knows, who cares. Do we have to take everyone with a blog seriously?

I love dad bod!

• Like 2

All about that bass.

NOT in "my" AO....

Guys around my age and/or older have bellies, do not work out, etc....:sick: Of the rare ones I see, they appear to be playas.

Even young men now a days....no "tone" to their bodies, no muscle. They are just skinny and when their metabolism slows down with age, I'm sure they'll de-volve into pot-belly carriers.

Hopeful714

To me that girl in those pictures looks unhealthy. But it's her life and her body and if she is comfortable with who she is that's great for her. She obviously feels awesome enough to pose like she did and feels beautiful which is fine in my book.

Why do we always have to pick on women? No women on here post pics of fat men and dissect them to pieces. Do any men care about anything these days aside from appearance and whether someone is attractive enough to have sex with?

• Like 3
CrystalCastles
If your kids are looking up to celebrities who are on the cover of People magazine, then you've probably got a bigger problem on your hands. We're talking about a magazine that regularly runs stories on "Stars in Rehab." They've had celebrities like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robert Downey Jr. on the cover, and no one panicked about their kids looking up to heroin addicts as role models.

Well someone is looking up to celebrities because why else are there so many people with weight issues hm? Why are there so many people who suffer anorexia, why are there things like "beauty standards"? Somebody IS looking up to these people. I mean, there do exist courses at universities about how media and images affect you, so obviously these pictures and these celebrities are being used as role models and being looked up to by some people. I don't have kids, so your point about my supposed parenting is moot.

How many of the skinny people in People lead healthy, active lifestyles?

I don't know and I don't care. I never said anything about "skinny people leading active lifestyles". I said "PEOPLE who lead active lifestyles". PEOPLE can be thin, fat, whatever their normal weight is. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I just don't understand why anyone really cares that much. If having skinny people in the media affected people's behavior and encouraged fitness, we wouldn't have seen obesity rates rise in the first place. Why is everyone all of a sudden convinced that media drive health behaviors?

And I really have to laugh at people freaking out about this model being on the cover of People. Really? You guys are talking about People magazine, a garbage celebrity rag. Every single issue of People has weight loss tips this and "how I lost 100 lbs!" that and "beach body at 40" and "celebrity diet secrets revealed!". EVERY SINGLE ISSUE. But put one fat lady on the cover, and it's the end of the world.

Who is freaking out? Nobody is freaking out. Gimme a break. We are just discussing.

I am responding to the OP's post about Tess Holliday. I don't read People, I don't read magazines at all. I'm not even sure what it was about my post that got your pants in a wad.

• Like 1