The next timee you consider calling a fit, in shape woman anorexic, just stop...

ascendotum

Its ridiculous how that word gets misused for skinny people. I guess people can also say obese gets thrown around inappropriately too. I guess she would have had a few think she was a meth head too.

I would have thought something like hypnotism could help. Most anorexic stories that I have read the younger women seem to be single. Its unusual to find a married one as I thought the normality of married life / being accepted as a desirable wife / and the ongoing support of a husband who wants her to put on weight, would help (on top of the medical protocols)

• Like 1

Anorexia is a behaviour/mental illness, not an appearance or a weight range. The weight is just a symptom of the behaviour. So early-stage anorexics will not necessarily look like this woman, and many of them may well be within the commonly accepted weight range. But on the other hand not all thin people are anorexic, either, and the word IS misused a lot.

As for the husband I suspect he is an enabler and might even have played a part in pushing her into this, similar to the case of a husband constantly feeding an obese woman due to a BBW fetish. He could have had her admitted at any point prior to this if he had genuinely wanted to. But that's besides the point...

• Like 6

Who does that?! Who does this?! I don't feel either way, I'm just confused as to whats going through everyone's minds.

My step sister is anorexic and she doesn't look like that. Never has. And she's been one for at least 10 years.

And no, I'm not "slim shaming". She's currently in hospital, with acute kidney failure and severe anemia. She weighs about 5 stone, to her 5'6".

While she's been in hospital she's been eating and putting on weight. but as soon as she leaves, she's stop eating again. And will go back to hospital (or maybe even die soon), due to severe deficiencies of everything.

So.. yes... Some people are thin and not anorexic. But extreme thinness should be looked at with care. You'll die faster for that than from being over weight!

• Author
loveweary11
Who does that?! Who does this?! I don't feel either way, I'm just confused as to whats going through everyone's minds.

It happens all the time. Heavy chicks will quite often call slim, healthy, in shape chicks "anorexic" because they have a different body type.

I'm sure I could search the forum and pull up a couple misuses of the word.

Happened 2 days ago in my life. One person who works for me and was on her last straw of almost being fired for having a bad attitude called another anorexic in my presence. That was enough to break the last straw and I fired her.

• Like 5
Woman battling anorexia pleads for help online - CNN.com

This is what an anorexic person looks like.

Um no, this is not what an anorexic person looks like. This is what THIS particular anorexic person looks likes.

Anorexia isn't just about appearance, it's about behaviors too. A fit and in shape woman can be anorexic as well. An obsession with exercise is another sign of anorexia. Some anorexic women will spend hours at the gym because they fear weight gain if they don't. Anorexia nervosa - Mayo Clinic

The person sitting next to you can be anorexic; you just never know and can't assume unless you know the entire story behind the person.

Edited by michellew
  • Like 2
Um no, this is not what an anorexic person looks like. This is what THIS particular anorexic person looks likes.

Anorexia isn't just about appearance, it's about behaviors too. A fit and in shape woman can be anorexic as well. An obsession with exercise is another sign of anorexia. Some anorexic women will spend hours at the gym because they fear weight gain if they don't. Anorexia nervosa - Mayo Clinic

The person sitting next to you can be anorexic; you just never know and can't assume unless you know the entire story behind the person.

Yeap!! My step sister would spend HOURS in the gym, when she still had strength. She would run for about 2h every single day. She didn't do any muscle training, though. She didn't want to be fit. She only did cardio, to lose weight.

Her "breakfast" before going to the gym would be a cup of coffee or two and then she'd take a couple of sweets to the gym, in case her sugar dropped.

She was still at a relatively healthy weight at this stage. It didn't make her any less anorexic..

These days, she can't even go up a flight of stairs without having to sit down and rest...

• Like 1
  • Author
loveweary11

Point is.. fat chicks shouldn't go around calling in shape people "anorexic" when it's an actual, medically dangerous, health problem.

• Like 3

I pay attention to what I eat and sometimes can get rather strict about it.

Accordingly, I've been called anorexic more times than I can count. In any given week at work I can get comments about being thin - seriously though, if I am anorexic, how do I have muscle tone? One must consume calories to maintain muscle.

I like eating well and exercising. Yes I am thin due to that. But it's not an obsession or a health problem.

• Like 2
Point is.. fat chicks shouldn't go around calling in shape people "anorexic" when it's an actual, medically dangerous, health problem.

I'm pretty sure it's not just 'fat chicks' who call fit women anorexic.

The way you are fat shaming doesn't make you any better than whomever you witnessed calling someone anorexic. Such hypocrisy.

• Like 6

The US population has gotten so chubbed out, that I believe our eyes have become calibrated to see heavy as normal and appropriate, and the true appropriate body weight as bizarrely skinny (hence, "anorexic"). Check out some photos from 50+ years ago and look at the range of body sizes...most people are smaller than the fit of today. Look at cultures such as Thailand where overeating is rare (afaik, I've never been there). The people are lean, and that's normal.

BTW, I would like to lose 20 lbs, just so you know I'm talking about myself here.

Maleficent

Point is don't judge people on what their bodies look like.

• Like 6
Ninjainpajamas

I saw that report on CNN as well...as well as another one which asked the parents overweight children if they considered their children overweight, 95 percent of parents claimed that their children were not overweight whom actually were...and said their were normal. The people doing the study or whomever it was, claimed it was because the kiddies are becomes such fatties (in so many words) that the perception of parents is watered and altered down to what they believe is "normal".

Some military spokesman guy was saying by 2020 or some date like that, I can't recall (it wasn't too far in the future)...that the US military is going to find it hard to fill ranks as people are too fat to meet the physical requirements.

The funny thing, is the majority of the public/society thinks this is perfectly normal in which yet there is still fat-shaming...but comparatively to other nations, Americans are fatter or among the fattest nations in which Mexico who I believe is number one or was, is right next door, how convenient to have number 1 and 2 right next door to each other.

If there's ever a nuclear war, America is going to look like one big melted crispy cream donut from all the fat oozing into the sea.

In reality, we could stand to gain some more women who are "Anorexic" or considered anorexic by fat women whom say "I can't seem to lose weight, I've tried EVERYTHING..."*chomp chomp chomp* greasy food and snacks all day.

• Like 1
I saw that report on CNN as well...as well as another one which asked the parents overweight children if they considered their children overweight, 95 percent of parents claimed that their children were not overweight whom actually were...and said their were normal. The people doing the study or whomever it was, claimed it was because the kiddies are becomes such fatties (in so many words) that the perception of parents is watered and altered down to what they believe is "normal".

This is interesting... The other day, a friend posted something on FB about being fat and needing to lose weight. She IS indeed obese (not even just overweight) and has been taking steps to lose weight, by dieting and exercising.

However, when she posted that, everyone who commented on her status said the words "you are not fat!". Which struck me as really messed up. This is a clearly fat woman. Not even just a few pounds over her ideal weight, but full on 3 dress sizes too big.

People seem to have lost the ability to see weight (both over and under) for what is is...

Hopeful714

What cha all think of lisa zbogen from body rock? Now there's a skinny chick who's petty dang thin, but fit as all get out.

Personally I find her hot as hel# (no I'm not gay) but I think she looked better before the insane boob job.

• Author
loveweary11
What cha all think of lisa zbogen from body rock? Now there's a skinny chick who's petty dang thin, but fit as all get out.

Personally I find her hot as hel# (no I'm not gay) but I think she looked better before the insane boob job.

Jesus... that chick is in absolutely the best shape I've ever seen anyone in. 100% muscle. You can see every single on of them. Wow!

amaysngrace

Anorexia isn't a look...it's a lifestyle.

Maybe people aren't commenting on the appearance of a person as much as they're commenting on a person's unhealthy obsession with food restriction.

The first help I ever got for my eating disorder is when my best friend told me straight up "you're a bulimic".

She didn't tell me that because she was jealous of my thinness (LOL)....she told me that because she cared about me.

You may have just become an enabler of your one employee's condition, LW. Did you give her lots of compliments about how "fit" and "in shape" she is and tell her how great she looks afterwards too?

People with eating disorders thrive on those kinds of compliments. It pushes them to keep going.

Good job!

• Author
loveweary11
Anorexia isn't a look...it's a lifestyle.

Maybe people aren't commenting on the appearance of a person as much as they're commenting on a person's unhealthy obsession with food restriction.

The first help I ever got for my eating disorder is when my best friend told me straight up "you're a bulimic".

She didn't tell me that because she was jealous of my thinness (LOL)....she told me that because she cared about me.

You may have just become an enabler of your one employee's condition, LW. Did you give her lots of compliments about how "fit" and "in shape" she is and tell her how great she looks afterwards too?

People with eating disorders thrive on those kinds of compliments. It pushes them to keep going.

Good job!

Cut it out. This is the logic that enables fat chicks to continually harass in shape people.

The employee I didn't fire gorges on burgers, steaks, cheese, avocados, bacon, etc. and doesn't purge it later. She burns it all off.

Don't enable fat chicks picking on healthy weight people. I know they are the majority of the population now, but that doesn't give them the right to call healthy weight people anorexic, making them feel bad.

Edited by loveweary11
amaysngrace
Cut it out. This is the logic that enables fat chicks to continually harass in shape people.

The employee I didn't fire gorges on burgers, steaks, cheese, avocados, bacon, etc. She burns it all off.

Don't enable fat chicks picking on healthy weight people. I know they are the majority of the population now, but that doesn't give them the right to call healthy weight people anorexic, making them feel bad.

Oh yeah...cause obsessing over exercise isn't a major component of eating disorders....:rolleyes:

You cut it out. You're the one who sounds ignorant about it all. Or keep it up if you want. It's kind of amusing to hear uniformed people popping off on things that they know nothing about.

• Like 1
  • Author
loveweary11

Further, the human body did not develop to intake the number of calories the modern person eats in a day.

We were always a little hungry, looking for food, etc...

And continuing the tale of the evil step sisters, my other one is bulimic. But she's not thin. Far from it. She's quite fat. But that doesn't mean she doesn't binge eat and then purge.

loveweary... If you had ANY idea of how terrible anorexia is, you wouldn't be making light of it and saying we should all be starving a little. You can and will die faster of malnourishment than you will of overnourishment.

I am not saying that every in shape/thin person is anorexic, though. But there is NOTHING healthy about starving yourself

• Like 2
Hopeful714

I obsess over exercise but don't have an eating disorder.

It's more about challenging my body, planning workouts and meals and seeing how far I can actually take it. It's a hobby, or lifestyle actually.

I'm not concerned with those who are out of shape and eat bad. It's their choice, however those people surely seem concerned with us that are slender and fit. Assume we are uppity, vain, whatever just because we have this love of and desire to push our body to the max.

I've never called anyone fat. If anything I may describe them as heavy set if I had to. And yea...there's MANY different body types out there. Everyone's full potential to be fit, or heavy, will look different depending on their genetics.

As long as your eating...and resting when needed I say go for it.

First of all, that woman you referenced is dying of anorexia. She didn't look like that the entire time she has had anorexia. Look at her past photos, and you'll see what anorexia looked like at other stages. At some points, she was very fit! This is tragically the end stage of the disease. I dearly hope that the treatment she gets is successful and she recovers.

Second, of course people shouldn't throw around the word "anorexia" as an insult. That's extremely insensitive. Likewise is "fat chicks".

Third, you CAN NOT diagnose anorexia on sight. When I was struggling with it the most, a few men praised me for my slight weight. That was not helpful.

• Like 7
It's kind of amusing to hear uniformed people popping off on things that they know nothing about.

Right?

"Don't enable fat chicks picking on healthy weight people".

:lmao:

Keep them coming, OP!

• Like 1