Trying Cross Fit! Anyone have luck with it?

I'm 48 years old and would like to lose about 30 lbs. I carry it well, but it's there, ugh. So, I bought a groupon that I found to give it a try, if it doesn't kill me first. I will start with 4 intro. classes, then 10 real classes.

Does this really work? Any tips? My core strength is weak, so I'd like to not kill myself!

Thanks!

thefooloftheyear

When it comes to workouts, everything has the potential to "work"

The key is how much are you willing to put into it...

Its as simple as that...

TFY

CrossFit progresses as you progress.

Many "boxes" will let you advance at your own pace.

It's like the previous person posted, anything exercise related can work, but it's also is very dependent on your diet. Eat right, exercise well, learn good form, and yes... it'll work.

Cross Fit helped me with my weight lifting form and the support system is great for motivation.

I loved Crossfit! I have never been as strong as when I was wodding. However, I did not lose weight (on the scale) but did lose sizes.

I would have kept going but it was expensive, and there ended up being gym drama that I didn't like.

1_trick_pony

I'm about 6 weeks in for crossfit and so far, I'm really enjoying it. From what I understand, the experience is directly correlated with one's particular gym and coaches. I feel mine have been excellent, encouraging to put in max effort, yet not shaming or pushing beyond what I feel I'm capable of on a given day. They are also big on safety and technique. They don't really say I have to heavier or harder, but they will say to lighten up, slow down and do it right. Need to have good coaches, if you don't find another box.

Having said that, you also need to be smart and need to check the ego at the door. Only compete with yourself and be patient. Resutls don't come over night and it's hard, hard work. The first couple of weeks I was super sore and exhausted, all I could do was go to work, crossfit and sleep and I was only doing it 3 times a week. Get easier, but never gets easy. Also, it's not instant weight loss, you have to adjust your diet at least some, but they can advise you on that.

I retired from competitive sports about a year ago and been dragging myself and half assing at a gym, this really helped me refocus and bring some intensity and structure back to my fitness regime.

Good luck, I hope you like it.

• Author

Thank you! I'm am excited to give this a try. Not only for weight loss and conditioning, but for something to do. With my youngest daughter graduating high school, and my other finishing her 1st year of college, it seems mom isn't needed anymore, lol. I work and go home, do chores, go to bed and repeat. I've decided it's time for some "me" self-improvement. I did some personal training workouts last year while doing Atkins, and was making progress, but my work schedule got in the way, so I do understand it is what I put into it. I'm just excited and was hoping to hear success stories.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

I did CrossFit for two years and was in the best shape of my life during that time. I absolutely loved it!

I stopped because I had to cut back on expenses plus it was beginning to take a toll on my body (knee and right shoulder pain). Any workout regime can do that to you, not just CrossFit. However, the timed workouts and competitive nature of the sport make it very easy for you to overexert yourself and lift more than you should, leading to bad form and injury.

Just be cautious and go at your OWN pace. Don't feel pressured by the clock, the whiteboard stats, or what everyone else is doing. Listen to your body. Most importantly....TAKE SOME REST DAYS!

WasOtherWoman

I started Cross Fitting when I was 48, nearly four years ago. I have always done cardio, but I am now in the best shape of my life.

Just work at your own place, and don't worry about how much the other folks around you are lifting. Some of them are at least 20 years younger than you are. A friend and I crossfit together at the 6 am class. She is near to my age and we keep each other motivated to get our butts out of bed.

I love it....

• Like 1
Maleficent

I did crossfit for a few months last year. It definitely put me back in shape!

The only thing I can tell you is to be careful with the amraps (as many reps as possible). It's really easy to screw all techniques to go faster and that's when you get hurt.

Don't sacrifice form for speed.

• Like 2

I have a coworker who does Cross Fit and yes she is very in shape but OMG SHE TALKS ABOUT IT NON STOP. It is insufferable. Just don't become one of "those" Cross Fitters....for the mental health of all the people that surround you ;)

• Like 6
WasOtherWoman
I have a coworker who does Cross Fit and yes she is very in shape but OMG SHE TALKS ABOUT IT NON STOP. It is insufferable. Just don't become one of "those" Cross Fitters....for the mental health of all the people that surround you ;)

The above is so true! I only discuss crossfitting with my crossfitting friends. These folks who go on and on about it... good lord. No one cares!

For some, it truly becomes a cult.

SomeDude16

Personally I would much rather do a gym jones workout than a crossfit workout. Crossfit is a brand and doesn't care about their product. Gym jones is all about results and the person.

I love cross fit. I started about 15 months ago. I immediately got into the best shape of my life. I hurt my knee giving Orange Theory a try and then tore a muscle doing bicep curls at home and had to take a couple of months off. Feel fat and weak now. Starting back up on Thursday.

One thing to know aside from all of the advice above - you will feel physically blown when you finish a WOD. Especially at first. I remember coming home and passing out on my bed for 45 minutes. But it is a great feeling and the results will shock you. Your core will DEFINITELY get strong!

Crossfit is all about olympic lifts. Not everyone is cut out to do them hence the injury comments on this thread. There is also pressure to perform these lifts under fatigue and every experienced lifter knows form is the first thing that goes when you are tired. Those that are smart stop training when form starts becoming poor, these are the guys that keep training for years. Many of us that strength train decide at one point whether it's worth putting our bodies through olympic lifts and the higher chances of injury. At the age of 48 you are too old as a complete beginner. As for losing weight and gaining strength, go circuit training and start on the weights. You will at least have a chance of not ruining your joints and if you are weak pretty much anything will make you stronger. Crossfit is stupid and has ruined many bodies.

• Like 1
Maleficent
Crossfit is all about olympic lifts. Not everyone is cut out to do them hence the injury comments on this thread. There is also pressure to perform these lifts under fatigue and every experienced lifter knows form is the first thing that goes when you are tired. Those that are smart stop training when form starts becoming poor, these are the guys that keep training for years. Many of us that strength train decide at one point whether it's worth putting our bodies through olympic lifts and the higher chances of injury. At the age of 48 you are too old as a complete beginner. As for losing weight and gaining strength, go circuit training and start on the weights. You will at least have a chance of not ruining your joints and if you are weak pretty much anything will make you stronger. Crossfit is stupid and has ruined many bodies.

It is one of the main reasons I stopped. I started training for olympic weightlifting and the more I could lift, the more I wanted to stop crossfit. Imo, Olifts should never be part of WODS, especially the AMRAP ones, ever. They are too technical and I really don't see the point of lining up 10 clean and jerks at 45% of my RM...

Though I would be more enclined to say people who do crossfit like idiots that are stupid rather than crossfit itself...

• Like 1

Absolutely this. I know people that stopped doing it because of the cult-like atmosphere and the way a lot of the cross-fitters (not all, but MANY) judged everyone for not eating a strict paleo diet. Some people can't witness someone eating rice without making a comment about it.