This is now the fourth year that I have gone without getting sick [or is it the fifth... I'm losing track!]. Last week my sb and I had an evening together just before she got sick, so she was almost certainly contagious. This has happened before and once again, nothing. Not a sniffle. Before going low carb, I normally got sick twice a year.

I eat well, exercise, and take vitamins, but I have done this for a significant portion of my life. I was always an athlete. It was only after about age 40 that I let myself go and lost control of my health. The only difference that I can see now compared to the rest of my life is that I have been on a low carb diet for four years. In fact, I haven't been sick since the day I went low carb; this in spite of repeated and prolonged exposure to people who were sick or getting sick, including intimacy with my sb while she was certainly contagious.

I started off with about 18 months of being in and out of ketosis. Once I hit my goal - a 34 inch waist [down from a 46" waist.. or was it 48"? :laugh: I think I hit 48" before I went on the Atkins diet] - I went into a long term, low-carb maintenance program. And while I know people who take better care of themselves than I do, they don't stick to the rigid low-carb diet that I do. And they still get sick regularly.

My sb is now calling me Superman! :laugh: It actually pisses her off because she works so hard to be fit and healthy. But she still gets sick and I NEVER get sick any more; this in spite of working long and irregular hours and almost never getting enough sleep. I have also been under phenomenal stress due to a huge financial risk that I've taken, not to mention still duking it out in court with the ex wife over property.

Edited by Robert Z
  • Like 1
loveweary11

I don't get sick either. (present weekend of absolute exhaustion excepted).

I think it has a lot more to do with your state of mind affecting your immune system's response. When people are down, they get sick more often. Now that you feel well mentally, your body is running at optimum performance.

Certainly the meat and vegetables diet was what out bodies evolved to run on. Gathering plants and animals to eat... not farming grains.

But I think you are just in good health, mentally and physically, which is what promotes a well functioning immune system.

• Author
I don't get sick either. (present weekend of absolute exhaustion excepted).

I think it has a lot more to do with your state of mind affecting your immune system's response. When people are down, they get sick more often. Now that you feel well mentally, your body is running at optimum performance.

Certainly the meat and vegetables diet was what out bodies evolved to run on. Gathering plants and animals to eat... not farming grains.

But I think you are just in good health, mentally and physically, which is what promotes a well functioning immune system.

While I think this is generally true, I didn't start with a good state of mind. I was semi-suicidal and had recently nearly committed suicide. And I felt terrible for years. My health was so bad that I was going to die soon either way if I didn't make huge changes. So I would argue that in my case, the metal state clearly follows the health, and not the other way around. The diet made it possible to change the rest of my life.

I would add that I had heart burn since I was a kid - gone. Joint pain including wrists and elbows - gone. Blood sugar problems - gone. BP down from hypertensive to 120/80 or less. Blood work is all good. And I can give guys in their twenties a run for their money at the gym.

Edited by Robert Z
loveweary11
While I think this is generally true, I didn't start with a good state of mind. I was semi-suicidal and had recently nearly committed suicide. And I felt terrible for years. My health was so bad that I was going to die soon either way if I didn't make huge changes. So I would argue that in my case, the metal state clearly follows the health, and not the other way around. The diet made it possible to change the rest of my life.

Oh, I thought you felt better mentally after being free from marriage, got on Atkins/SoBe diet around the same time.

Felt generally well from then on.

Guess my timeline was off. Well, congratulations on all. :)

startinganew777

I went gluten free, got off all meds and take herbs and I feel great and haven't gotten sick in a long time. I have an auto immune disease too but as long as I take care of myself, I feel awesome. Haven't taken meds for a couple years now and I have arthritis. I think meds are toxic to our bodies.

I_Give_Up67
This is now the fourth year that I have gone without getting sick [or is it the fifth... I'm losing track!]. Last week my sb and I had an evening together just before she got sick, so she was almost certainly contagious. This has happened before and once again, nothing. Not a sniffle. Before going low carb, I normally got sick twice a year.

I eat well, exercise, and take vitamins, but I have done this for a significant portion of my life. I was always an athlete. It was only after about age 40 that I let myself go and lost control of my health. The only difference that I can see now compared to the rest of my life is that I have been on a low carb diet for four years. In fact, I haven't been sick since the day I went low carb; this in spite of repeated and prolonged exposure to people who were sick or getting sick, including intimacy with my sb while she was certainly contagious.

I started off with about 18 months of being in and out of ketosis. Once I hit my goal - a 34 inch waist [down from a 46" waist.. or was it 48"? :laugh: I think I hit 48" before I went on the Atkins diet] - I went into a long term, low-carb maintenance program. And while I know people who take better care of themselves than I do, they don't stick to the rigid low-carb diet that I do. And they still get sick regularly.

My sb is now calling me Superman! :laugh: It actually pisses her off because she works so hard to be fit and healthy. But she still gets sick and I NEVER get sick any more; this in spite of working long and irregular hours and almost never getting enough sleep. I have also been under phenomenal stress due to a huge financial risk that I've taken, not to mention still duking it out in court with the ex wife over property.

I've been a low carb'er since September of 2013. I've pissed my Physician off because I have taken myself off of all the medications that he'd prescribed. Not only do I not get sick, I have not suffered a headache or even heartburn since I went low carb! My goal was complete carb elimination, but since there are carbs in most green vegetables, I can't get to true zero. On an average day I probably consume under 20 grams per day. I do drink 3 liters of water per day to protect my kidneys.

I've dropped a bunch of weight also and maintained it. Without the carbs in my diet, I typically consume around 2500 to 3500 (mainly due to nuts being so calorically dense) calories per day and never get hungry. I also workout when my schedule permits. My diet or lifestyle change, consists of meat, nuts and green vegetables, that's it. By eliminating the carbs, and being in ketosis 24/7 365, I never get hungry! A normal meal plan for me is, nuts for breakfast, no lunch, meat and veggies for supper.

My diet / lifestyle change, is a hybrid of the Atkins and the Paleo diets. I stole from both to suit my on tastes. I've never felt this good in my life! No more joint pains, no more gas and bloating, strong erections, and increased libido are just a few of the benefits I've notice so far. I hate using the term diet because of what it has come to mean, I prefer saying lifestyle change.

Hope Shimmers

WHOA!

Your goal was complete elimination of all carbs?!?

You can't eliminate a critical component of your diet totally.

Eliminate all simple carbs, but complex carbs are both healthy and necessary. Your body needs fuel and that's what carbs provide.

• Like 1
I_Give_Up67
WHOA!

Your goal was complete elimination of all carbs?!?

You can't eliminate a critical component of your diet totally.

Eliminate all simple carbs, but complex carbs are both healthy and necessary. Your body needs fuel and that's what carbs provide.

Hope, have you been collaborating with my Physician? :)

I when I first started, it took some getting used to. I had zero energy for about 3 weeks while I was trying to get used to ketosis. Once my body acclimated, my energy returned with a vengeance. I can do things today that would have killed me just a few years ago. I do still get the carbs that are naturally found in green veggies. So I am never actually ever at zero. 60 grams in a day (family cookout) for me, is considered a splurge. :)

Hope Shimmers
Hope, have you been collaborating with my Physician? :)

I when I first started, it took some getting used to. I had zero energy for about 3 weeks while I was trying to get used to ketosis. Once my body acclimated, my energy returned with a vengeance. I can do things today that would have killed me just a few years ago. I do still get the carbs that are naturally found in green veggies. So I am never actually ever at zero. 60 grams in a day (family cookout) for me, is considered a splurge. :)

Sorry, I sound like a physician sometimes because, well you know.

Just the sound of TOTALLY cutting out all carbs freaked me out a little.

I limit carbs too but I more closely follow a Paleo type diet.

edit: with pizza thrown in there for good measure

• Like 1