Any tips on how to look older?

purplesoccer34

I'm a 24 year old female, and literally every single person I meet gasps in shock when I mention how old I really am. They just cannot seem to believe it for some reason. Many of them tell me I look about 15, but some tell me I look as young as 13 or 14. I know it sounds a bit odd, since many people aim to look younger, but I think it would be nice to look my age for now. For example, only younger guys ever approach me, most of them being in high school or even middle school. And when I spend time with my friends (who are around the same age as me), random people single me out, asking what I'm doing hanging out with an older crowd lol.

What are some things I can do to look older in terms of dressing up, attitude, etc.? I'm naturally thin and somewhat short, and I have a major baby face lol. I've been told that I should gain weight to look older, but I don't think that would be healthy since I'm not underweight or anything.

Edited by purplesoccer34
  • Like 1

My sister has the same problem because she's 5'0". If you're short try wearing higher shoes. Maybe a litte makeup and do an updo.

loveweary11

It's all about height.

My ex and I were asked to move from the emergency seats on a plane once because you have to be 16 or something to sit there. She was 27 at the time and was way, way embarrassed.

Also had teenagers trying to pick her up.

It was her height. Best you can do is wear heels or platforms.

• Like 1
Clarence_Boddicker

Meth, sun & tobacco.

JK. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Like 2

Do you hold your chin up when you walk around? Also make a point of making direct eye contact with people. Those are both 'adult' traits. :)

• Like 2

Red lipstick (usually a deep red lipstick) always makes women look older, and that's why fashion magazines suggest that older women (40's, 50's, etc.) do not wear red lipstick. Also, bangs make women look younger, so if you have bangs it may be worth a try to let them grow out and/or comb them to the side. Also, I think dark colored blouses, (such as navy blue and black) can make people look older.

If you wear you hair up avoid a pony tail and do a French twist or a bun instead.

Wear make up - eyeliner and mascara particularly.

A black eyeliner around more of your eye (upper and lower lid ages you).

Avoid clothes and accessories with hearts and sparkles on them.

Avoid looking too casual. A vest and jeans is great but if you wear a V-necked vest and jeans you can age yourself a bit due to having the balls to show some cleavage.

Avoid heart shaped jewellery and jewellery with your name on it or your initials.

Shape your eyebrows - get them done professionally somewhere first if you don't already do it yourself.

Now you are 24 go for some more classic styles of clothing rather than high fashion.

You could also wear a tonne of make up but I don't recommend that (aside from some eye make up as mentioned above) as you can look like a doll and kinda plastic! Lol!

Wear heals & jackets. Grown women wear jackets. Younger girls wear sweaters & hoodies.

SycamoreCircle

Looking older:

I knew a really pretty woman that all the guys swooned after. We worked together. She started leading a pretty hard life, partying all night, smoking. I saw her a year later. I thought it had been 10 years later. She looked used up.

compulsivedancer

When I have short hair, I look my age. When I wear it longer, I look younger.

You could also gain weight. Very thin women tend to look like teenagers.

Ninjainpajamas

I wouldn't really worry about this all that much, I know it can be annoying and embarrassing but you definitely wouldn't want it the other way around.

Really...there's only so much you can do, you can dress and get a look that makes you a bit older, I mean if you're dressing like a kid type or thing or wearing clothes that a teenager might wear that's not going to help...otherwise, just act mature and people will figure it out.

I think you're kind of "lucky", maybe not to look 13 or 14, but you will start to change soon enough and maybe you'll age quite a bit over a short time and you'll be talking about these stories when you're 40, still thinking you look 21 when you look....40.

Structure and polish can provide a more mature look, if not older. Look for structured clothing that fits well, and carry structured bags in neutral colors.

Something like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a3/32/06/a332067c46168dda45a5ab376cb7e987.jpg

My problem, as a shorter, thin woman, is finding clothing that fits. The dept stores don't really carry my size outside the juniors dept, and the junior dept clothing makes me look like a little kid. I've found that stores like REI (outdoor gear suppliers) carry clothing sizes that work for me, esp the brand Patagonia, and it doesn't look teenage-ish. But definitely buy a mature looking bag to carry. Those fit every woman :)

The good news is that you'll likely look young well into your 40s! Esp if you stay thin.

• Like 1

As a very short woman who constantly bumps into this problem, I find that how I dress makes the most difference. Once when I was backpacking, and thus wearing a hoodie and a knapsack, the lovely bus lady asked me if I wanted an adult or child fare. :confused: But in a nice dress I sometimes even get to order drinks without getting carded (woohoo!).

Makeup and heels would be an obvious answer, but it seems a bit excessive to me to wear heels all the time just to look older, unless you actually enjoy wearing them.

I also like xxoo's bag suggestion - or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy some bags. :p