!!!!need Help Losing 20 Pounds In 16 Days!!!!

Im trying to get into the ARMY & they said that they wanted to see me shed all this weight in so lil time.The only way i could possibly do this is to starve & work out.Am i screwed on this??

A pound of fat is 3500 calories (if I remember correctly). A typical diet would be a 500 calorie deficit for 7 days, which would yield a pound of fat lost per week, which is a pretty reasonable goal. To lose 20 pounds in 16 days, you would need to have more than a 3500 calorie deficit per day. That would be like not eating at all (-2500 calories) and then burning an additional 1000 calories on top of that.

Basically, you'd have to run 10 miles a day and never eat for 3 weeks. If you really attempted to do that you'd either get really sick, or die.

You can't just go on a crash diet and expect to shed the pounds. Your metabolism will slow down if you starve yourself (as opposed to just cutting back caloric intake), so it will be even harder to drop the weight. Finally, if you try to lose weight this fast, you'll be losing muscle along with fat (not to mention a number of other health problems), so you'd feel noticably weaker at the end of it all.

In short, better explore other options than the Army.

• Author

I dunno why in so lil time.But i thik i will give him a call tommorrow about it.

Im 5 '10 & 3/4 and about 225 to 230.They want me to be down to either 188 or 198.One suggestion i got was to eat meats & salads.Another friend said to do a liquid diet of soy mildk & something.Someone else mentioned that they fasted for 7 days & lost 16 pounds.So im confused about this as well & just moved my old weight bench into the house.Im concerned that i may build muscle & gain more wieght because of it.

Whoever told you they lost 16 lbs in 7 days was either lying, or lost most of it as water weight due to dehydration. You can't lose 16 lbs of fat in 7 days. It's just a numbers game:

(calories consumed) - (calories expended) = net gain or loss

Also, it's almost impossible to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. The former requires a calorie surplus, the latter a calorie deficit. Unless you have exactly the protein/fat/carb intake you need, it's probably not going to happen.

Tanbark's right. 16 pds in that amount of time is losing water.

Muscle might make you gain wt to start with, but in long run, the extra mass means you burn more cals per day as well as up your metabolism...and can lose weight easier.

Good luck, jackie

what im doing right now is jus stayin under 2000 calories a day, and playing basketball, its made me lose a ton of weight but not in the time period you're lookin for

• Author

I was watching the biggest loser last night on tv and there was a lady that was like 210 that lost 14 pounds int that week alone.& there where many other ppl on there that had lost dramatic amounts like that.Is this because i guess their more obeist than i?

BTW i just got done with a 5 mile walk with a lil bit of jogging.Hope thatll burn some of the fatty boom batty from my body.Damn those stupid goals i thinkit was a mind game hes tryin to play.

Originally posted by MrE

I was watching the biggest loser last night on tv and there was a lady that was like 210 that lost 14 pounds int that week alone.& there where many other ppl on there that had lost dramatic amounts like that.Is this because i guess their more obeist than i?

It's because it's a TV show so they exaggerate to get better ratings. As was said before, anyone who claims to lose weight that fast lost water, not fat. Don't make yourself sick, man.

First, losing that much weight in such a short time is very unhealthy and probably impossible. Second, be glad that they don´t take you. They are just looking for kids from blue collar families as cannon fodder.

• Author
Originally posted by kooky

First, losing that much weight in such a short time is very unhealthy and probably impossible. Second, be glad that they don´t take you. They are just looking for kids from blue collar families as cannon fodder.

Trust me i am not nieve about the situation.& I an not a conservative.It is in my opinion that i would rather it be me over there than someone else.I dont like bush but i feel i can make atleast a small deifference.Silly sounding it may be but i have bigger plans for when i leave the military such as becoming a firefighter then pursueing a career in politics if possible.This is just a small step in my skeem of life.

I do appreciate it a lot when people want to fight for their country and protect people, but on the other hand I have to say, in order for a soldier to function properly he will need some serious brainwashing and it´s not always the best for the people when they give up thinking for themselves. It is of course necessary, because if everybody started exploring and wanting to express his individuality in a battle it´s not really good for himself and his comrades, but you do end up being the pawn for politicians.

It´s the hierarchical structures in any army that are the cause for cases like Abu Ghureib.

• Author

I shant let my mind be taken away.I have plans for politics in the future though & this imo is the first step.I just figured this year politics would be a thing to pursue for me cause im tired of the BS that we have now.SO i figured if i can role with these punches they could elevate me in a sense closer to my goal.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by MrE

I shant let my mind be taken away.I have plans for politics in the future though & this imo is the first step.I just figured this year politics would be a thing to pursue for me cause im tired of the BS that we have now.SO i figured if i can role with these punches they could elevate me in a sense closer to my goal.

If you have plans for politics I would suggest getting a bachelors first and going into the military as an officer - those are the people who make it up the politcal ladder. Entering on the bottom rung and trying to kill yourself to get in right away is not a smart move for your plans. Get that degree and lose the weight at a healthy pace while you're in school. And if you already have a degree and are going in as an officer, well you have a degree so use it and get a good job while you lose the weight... then persue your military plans. Chances are your big political career isn't going to pass you by if you don't start fighting this month.

• 2 weeks later...

easy. do more cardio workouts than strength work outs, every day of the week except sunday for at least 30 minutes, and eat a little less calorie filled foods, but careful not to not eat at all. if u dont eat you gain weight and not eating is dangerous.

Try the cabbage soup diet but consult a doctor 1st. you can still eat and work out on this diet you will lose alot of water weight and you will STINK to high heavens for a few weeks..... Believe me you'll be peeling the paint off the walls!!! But it cleans you out and personally I think it works great, I wouldn't say you can lose 16 lbs that quick but it will deff jump start any diet you try. plus this diet allows you to eat plenty of fruits and veggies along with your soup.. You can find the recipie somewhere online. But once you lose the weight you must change your lifestyle or it will just come back.

Good Luck with the service.

Patiently waiting

I lost 10 lbs in 14 days once. It was when I found out my stbex was cheating on me. I literally did not eat anything during that time. I was crying a lot so probably expended a lot of energy doing that too. The only thing I did have was 3 shots of tequila every night to make myself pass out and not have to deal with the pain of seeing him when I got home from work. I don't recommend this method however......But I did look good! :cool: