What's a good OTC appetite suppressant that works?

enchanted771

I am an emotional eater and while I don't condone the whole Magic pill method,

I just need something to take the edge off. I do well for about 2 weeks,

Then I go on a sugar binge. I'm going to see a dietician in the next 2 weeks but in the meantime, I need help. Also, need energy to work out. If im tired & sluggish i just won't move.

I have my eating back to normal, but I know when my emotions start (stress, worry, etc), I will turn to sugar.

stephancoehn

There are no pills for this. Get or revisit a general physical with a full panel work up to look for physical causes leading to the bimonthly binges. Work with the dietician. Take notes or journal to look at external influence the binge. Reverse you actions slowly, avoid rebound and compounded emotions from the source. The body works hard enough as it is, asking more by way of a pill or an overly strict plan is probably not a good idea. Ask the dietician for a stomach filling lo calorie food to eat when the binge starts. Just be careful, it's easy enough to swap one problem for another.

If you're craving sugar that much, I agree with the above poster... get some panels done. Sometimes craving sugar out of the normal range can be signs of something going on. Either that, or you just have a massive sweet tooth ;)

And as for appetite suppressant? I know it sounds stupid, but water. If I feel like I want to eat something (and it's emotional or boredom hunger), I grab a water bottle with one of those Crystal Light packets. That satisfies my craving for something sweet (I love soda) and drinking water fills you up. Plus... it's just super healthy.

I'm a binge sugar eater as well. Unfortunately, the only thing that works for me is not OTC (aderol or phentermine).

I have found that calorie counting is a much better option than trying to cut carbs or sugar. Depriving myself compeletly is what leads to the binging.

• 1 month later...

ironically to suppress it you"ll need to partake of some foods. preferably high fiber or protein enriched. In corporating these thru out your day will give you that fullness.

yogurt w/bran, apples,juices, all can help curb it. your nutritionist should be able to assist with your peak time frames.

• Like 1

FORGIVE MY IGNORANCE, but I have no idea what OTC means, so this may not be what you're looking for. But I do the same thing, and while I recommend you just holding out as best you can until you see a your dietitian, I've been there with wanting suggestions. My aunt and her daughter recently started using THRIVE and they're both doing really well as far as not eating loads and also feeling better (not sluggish, full of energy, etc.) so maybe that could be something for you/something to talk to your doctor about. One thing I like personally is the gummies from "Bikini Body" - I tested those for the company and they helped to suppress my appetite and also gave me tons of energy. There's less caffeine in a serving than in the recommended serving of most green tea fat burners.

• 4 weeks later...

OTC = over the counter

There are a few techniques to ... avoid this binge eating :

- warm/hot water ... lots of it; drink it before you are in the presence of sugar or starch

Works especially well before eating.

- foods loaded with water, green beans for instance [or cucumbers].

- avoid salty stuff

- avoid anything with caffeine and teine, as they accelerate digestion

- if you cook, add more onions because it will make the food 'heavier' and also, it will decrease long term your chances of developing cancer if you cook it properly

- if you can get it, buy Chromium, 200ug doses [i use Wallmark], 1 pill in the evening for next day ... it kinda kills your desire for sweet.

But, if you take it ... do not eat sweet, because it interferes with creation of insuline ... as a reaction to you eating sweets.

So if you take it and you eat sweets, your body will not produce enough insuline.

For the purpose of the above instructions, sugar = starch pretty much for the human body, so avoid that too.

Clarence_Boddicker

Broccoli, Carrots, Celery & water.

loveweary11

A few nuts or a small hunk of cheese to stop the hunger, then see Clarence's post for the rest.

A moderate amount of carbs are ok. If you have heavily removed carbs from your diet, the low blood sugar will make you cranky. Also, it's helpful to recognize when it's time for a break from calorie restriction. I need it 1-2 a week typically. That doesn't mean gorge yourself, it just means a little extra to refuel and give your body a chance to recover.

What are some "OTC" options?:

Exercising

Adequate sleep (huge!)

Keeping busy, mind occupied

Water

Protein

Fiber

Avoiding overly sweet and salty foods

keeping a daily food journal

weighing yourself every morning (recognize difference between daily fluctuations and long term trends)

Edited by PogoStick