I have an extreme phobia of working out in front of others

Hello all

This is my first post in here , this problem has been haunting me almost all my life .

I cannot excessive while people are watching , I cannot even go jogging ,

I would love to get a gym membership and start working out and see the positive changes on my body , its just I have an extreme fear that I might look pathetic despite the fact that my body is not that ugly

my main fears are like this :

1-Seeing all those well toned guys makes me feel worse about myself , like , they'll snicker and say see that fat dude trying to work out

2-I don't know how gym equipment work , and the assistants at the gym are kinda rude when they see someone who is not an athletic looking , because they thing like they are not serious about working out , or the equipment are pretty much easy to use

3-I hate my body , I admit it is not the worst body ever , its just ugly , fat behind and a belly .. just awful and I want to do something about that by working out . but then there is the problem

Help would be much appreciated

Ok well your post made me laugh. Not at you but (hopefully) with you. I have a ridiculous aversion to swimming laps where there are life guards.

I believe this stems from the fact I used to be on a swim team and we took underwater video to help improve our strokes and times. It was really a great tool, but I am always thinking the lifeguards sitting above are analyzing my stroke. If they were just walking around it wouldn't bother me. LOL So silly....

How about if you try staying covered up until you feel more confident and get into the routine of going? Its probably just a matter of desensitizing yourself, and seeing that the big bad bear doesn't really exist. Or, try joining a gym that is very slow, and go during even slower tie frames.

• Like 2

Also, there is absolutely zero excuse for any assistant being rude. Their sole existence at that gym is to provide assistance to members.

Most the trainers and assistants I have ever come across have a true zeal for helping people work out.

Maybe you are at the wrong gym. I did go to one gym where the management were elitists and from my experience, didn't like women. There was no way I was going to stay there and pay them money to act like a@@es.

• Author
Ok well your post made me laugh. Not at you but (hopefully) with you. I have a ridiculous aversion to swimming laps where there are life guards.

I believe this stems from the fact I used to be on a swim team and we took underwater video to help improve our strokes and times. It was really a great tool, but I am always thinking the lifeguards sitting above are analyzing my stroke. If they were just walking around it wouldn't bother me. LOL So silly....

How about if you try staying covered up until you feel more confident and get into the routine of going? Its probably just a matter of desensitizing yourself, and seeing that the big bad bear doesn't really exist. Or, try joining a gym that is very slow, and go during even slower tie frames.

thanks ,

I guess there is really no way around just facing the whole thing , add that anxiety to my introversion and it is just overwhelming

hopefully one day i can do it ...

• Author
Also, there is absolutely zero excuse for any assistant being rude. Their sole existence at that gym is to provide assistance to members.

Most the trainers and assistants I have ever come across have a true zeal for helping people work out.

Maybe you are at the wrong gym. I did go to one gym where the management were elitists and from my experience, didn't like women. There was no way I was going to stay there and pay them money to act like a@@es.

Sounds exactly like the gym that I am talking about , the thing is , this is the only gym that I can possibly afford and is near my place of work

I can relate to 2. I don't know how **** works, either, and I can get quite embarrassed about it, because I feel clumsy (and rightfully so, because I am), but I know that people usually don't give two hoots about anybody else, so I try to remind myself of that, and I'm good. Because I know they're not watching. They really don't care.

• Like 1
DivorcedDad123

Can you buy some equipment and workout from home? Most will come with a DVD or Youtube has lots of videos online to help you learn how to use the equipment. Maybe start off with a multiple use machine to save space and when you're sure you're going to keep at it,upgrade later.

• Like 6
  • Author
Can you buy some equipment and workout from home? Most will come with a DVD or Youtube has lots of videos online to help you learn how to use the equipment. Maybe start off with a multiple use machine to save space and when you're sure you're going to keep at it,upgrade later.

I can't afford a treadmill for instance , but I can afford dumbbells

I guess these have to do for now , until I feel better about my body to go to the gym .

it sucks because i cannot do cardio from home

Sounds exactly like the gym that I am talking about , the thing is , this is the only gym that I can possibly afford and is near my place of work

Do you have a YMCA in your area? I have belonged to many gyms, and I have always had good experiences at the Y. Also, they have discount programs on sliding scale basis.

DivorcedDad123

There ya go! You have a starting point then. Come up with a routine to do at home and you'll start seeing results.

• Like 1
Hello all

This is my first post in here , this problem has been haunting me almost all my life .

I cannot excessive while people are watching , I cannot even go jogging ,

I would love to get a gym membership and start working out and see the positive changes on my body , its just I have an extreme fear that I might look pathetic despite the fact that my body is not that ugly

my main fears are like this :

1-Seeing all those well toned guys makes me feel worse about myself , like , they'll snicker and say see that fat dude trying to work out

2-I don't know how gym equipment work , and the assistants at the gym are kinda rude when they see someone who is not an athletic looking , because they thing like they are not serious about working out , or the equipment are pretty much easy to use

3-I hate my body , I admit it is not the worst body ever , its just ugly , fat behind and a belly .. just awful and I want to do something about that by working out . but then there is the problem

Help would be much appreciated

1. Join Curves

2. How do you know since you don't go to a gym?

3. Do you hate your body enough to do something about it regardless of what other people "might" be thinking?

DivorcedDad123

Here's a good video I found if you're going with dumbells. He shows a full body workout. And,he's getting cardio at the same time as you can tell by his breathing.

it sucks because i cannot do cardio from home

Why not? Jump rope, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, burpees, run in place, climb the stairs.

Seriously, have you never seen a commercial for a home exercise video? P90x? Taebo? Sweatin to the oldies? :lmao:

Sorry sir, you're just full of excuses. Motivated people find solutions, not roadblocks.

• Like 2
Michelle ma Belle

What about joining a women's only gym? (That's assuming you're female of course :p) They seem to be very popular anymore. Even regular gyms are starting to include a smaller more private section for women only. World's Gym is a perfect example and they have franchises all over North America at only $10/month. It might be worth checking out.

Other than that, there are literally countless at-home programs you can use. DVD's are great but can get expensive if you're not careful. Personally I've found that YouTube has some amazing full-length programs that you can watch and in the privacy of your own home.

As for cardio, who says you can't do it at home? How about going for a brisk walk around your neighborhood or jumping on your bike and going for a ride. If you have stairs in your home or in your building why not start climbing them and time yourself so you can track and improve your time week after week.

Honestly there are zero excuses for getting into better shape anymore. You don't need a fancy gym membership or equipment or the trendiest clothes or shoes. You just need the right attitude and a plan.

Good luck!

• Like 2
DivorcedDad123

" they'll snicker and say see that fat dude trying to work out "

I think the womens only gym is out :D

• Like 3
Michelle ma Belle
" they'll snicker and say see that fat dude trying to work out "

I think the womens only gym is out :D

Haha Sorry OP!!

I clearly missed that :o

The rest of my post still stands as it applies to any gender.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Join group classes with the ladies, start exercise that way. Try various ones, with a good diet you will start losing weight and you won't be so self-conscious once you are smaller. You will also get to know the staff at the gym too so you will be more confident about asking for their help.

Women are far less judgemental in those classes, you won't have any problems. Body weight exercises are also a good way to get into the swing of things.

• Like 1
seekingpeaceinlove

Do you have a friend that you feel comfortable working out with?

I say, start working out on your own. Get a workout dvd, walk, bike, buy dumbells and cowbells.

When you feel a little more comfortable, go into the gym and talk to a trainer. IF you can afford one, buy a few sessions to get started. Don't worry about anyone else. I sometimes use the machines different then they are supposed to be used bc I want to train another muscle (eg: pullup assistant - use it to work my ass and thighs). I don't give a flying f*ck how I look to others..

Just start somewhere! Baby steps!

• Like 2
fitnessfan365

There are actually a lot of people that would rather work out alone. So don't feel like you're a freak or anything. But since I love to do hardcore athletic workouts outside, being in front of people is a necessity. I've never minded it though. Plus as a personal trainer, being in front of people is what gets me clients.

• Like 1
  • Author
Haha Sorry OP!!

I clearly missed that :o

The rest of my post still stands as it applies to any gender.

Good luck.

LOL , Yea , and I am not even fat per se , I am just round .

I started to sort of work out alone today , just a few crunches and push ups , felt kind of ok .

I just have to do the next step , just kinda nervous because all people I see in the gym are physically perfect and move with such grace and agility that make me feel kinda self conscious about myself

• Author
Join group classes with the ladies, start exercise that way. Try various ones, with a good diet you will start losing weight and you won't be so self-conscious once you are smaller. You will also get to know the staff at the gym too so you will be more confident about asking for their help.

Women are far less judgemental in those classes, you won't have any problems. Body weight exercises are also a good way to get into the swing of things.

That's a good idea but I never feel comfortable with those women who are so impressively fit , the problem is me not them being judgmental in general

• Author
There are actually a lot of people that would rather work out alone. So don't feel like you're a freak or anything. But since I love to do hardcore athletic workouts outside, being in front of people is a necessity. I've never minded it though. Plus as a personal trainer, being in front of people is what gets me clients.

oh man , that would be the panacea for this problem ,

I would definitely invest in hiring a personal trainer to guide me through the work out routine step by step , I presume after a couple of months I can do it alone at the gym

fitnessfan365
oh man , that would be the panacea for this problem ,

I would definitely invest in hiring a personal trainer to guide me through the work out routine step by step , I presume after a couple of months I can do it alone at the gym

1) I actually encourage clients to workout on their own in addition to their 2-3 sessions a week. I also tell them to stretch and keep up with their mobility drills regularly.

2) I tell people going in that my ultimate goal is for them to eventually be on their own.

But the reality of the situation is that you need to have a certain mindset to push yourself and hold yourself accountable. If someone's getting a trainer, it's because they don't have it. In my experience, it's not easily learned either. The mindset of the average client is that if they have a scheduled appointment and are investing money, they will exercise. But if they have to do it on their own, excuses and life get in the way. I've had clients take hiatuses before where they were determined to do it on their own. Then 1-2 months later they call me and start training again.

The reason why my clients stick with me long term is because they actually get results, and they like having me motivate them and hold them accountable. To them it's worth the money not to have to come up with their own routines or try to force themselves to workout on their own. Now that's not to say that I've never had clients that ended up being successful on their own before. I definitely have. But unfortunately it's rare. In most cases, clients either stay with me indefinitely, or train for awhile, leave, and come back repeatedly.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 1
  • Author
1) I actually encourage clients to workout on their own in addition to their 2-3 sessions a week. I also tell them to stretch and keep up with their mobility drills regularly.

2) I tell people going in that my ultimate goal is for them to eventually be on their own.

But the reality of the situation is that you need to have a certain mindset to push yourself and hold yourself accountable. If someone's getting a trainer, it's because they don't have it. In my experience, it's not easily learned either. The mindset of the average client is that if they have a scheduled appointment and are investing money, they will exercise. But if they have to do it on their own, excuses and life get in the way. I've had clients take hiatuses before where they were determined to do it on their own. Then 1-2 months later they call me and start training again.

The reason why my clients stick with me long term is because they actually get results, and they like having me motivate them and hold them accountable. To them it's worth the money not to have to come up with their own routines or try to force themselves to workout on their own. Now that's not to say that I've never had clients that ended up being successful on their own before. I definitely have. But unfortunately it's rare. In most cases, clients either stay with me indefinitely, or train for awhile, leave, and come back repeatedly.

interesting , I am sure I'll do it on my own after getting rid of all my insecurities regarding the whole thing , once I can confidently go to the gym I'll stick with it .

Its not the work out itself that demotivates me , its the issues that I've mentioned earlier , Thanks for the feedback

fitnessfan365
interesting , I am sure I'll do it on my own after getting rid of all my insecurities regarding the whole thing , once I can confidently go to the gym I'll stick with it .

Its not the work out itself that demotivates me , its the issues that I've mentioned earlier , Thanks for the feedback

My favorite thing about being a trainer is teaching people how to work out more efficiently. It's funny because the whole point of getting in shape is to extend your life. But so many people end up wasting theirs in the gym working out 10, 15, or even 20 hrs a week. My clients all do full body strength work and athletic performance training. So they are getting awesome results with three 30 min sessions a week. Granted they have to work their assess off and the intensity is high. But still, they don't have to waste unnecessary time working out. My own workouts range from 35-50 mins 4-6x a week. So even though I exercise regularly, the overall duration is only 3-4 hrs a week. Based on my conditioning level, people often guess I workout a lot more than I actually do.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 1