How do I avoid refined sugar foods?

I'm on a fitness kick and saw a nutritionist today, who told me to cut out all refined sugar and processed food. That's not entirely realistic for me. I do like the occasional sugar cookie or chocolate chip cookie.

Has anyone here completely eliminated refined sugar? Is it possible to make cookies without refined sugar? I don't think so?

I found out these foods have refined sugar :(

tomato-based pasta sauce (unless it's made naturally I suppose)

candy (I don't eat it except for imported Smarties and Crunches)

cake (don't like it so I don't eat it)

donuts (gave those up already)

cookies (I can't say goodbye to chocolate chip cookies!)

Lemonade (any fruit juice)

flavored coffee (noooooo goodbye dark chocolate mocha!)

smoothies (meh, ok no biggie)

soda (haven't had a soda in about 20 years)

sugary breakfast cereal (I don't eat cereal anyway)

ketchup (huh?)

barbeque sauce (don't eat it)

salad dressing (but I use vinagrette)

canned fruits and vegetables (yuck, I only eat fresh fruits and veggies)

frozen dinners (yuck, don't eat those)

According to the American Heart Association, women are supposed to limit their refined sugar intake to 24 grams a day or 6 teaspoons. And men should limit their intake to 36 grams a day or 9 teaspoons of refined sugar. Seems hard if there is high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar, white or brown sugar, sucrose, fructose, and glucose in loafs of bread or even boxes of rice packages.

Everything except organic fruits and vegetables has refined sugar in it.

It seems like it's impossible to eat a diet completely free of refined sugar.

Is it?

I'm not a fan of the whole completely cutting something out of your diet. Is there a health reason you should cut out refined sugars or is the nutritionist just being a nutritionist?

Refined sugars are definitely not the healthiest, but virtually impossible to completely avoid. Unless there is a health reason you should cut them out, stick to cutting the obvious 'loaded with sugar' options and you should be fine.

Cook from scratch. Breakfast could be eggs, oatmeal, plain yogurt with fruit, etc. If you take out the sugar, consider adding fat for flavor. Plain yogurt is very delicious if it is full fat.

Bread is tricky, because sugar helps yeast rise. Most breads include at least a small amt of added sugar. Rice and other grains can be cooked from scratch to avoid added sugar. Pasta shouldn't have sugar, either (carbs yes, but not added sweetener).

Avoid packaged sauces, as most will have some sugar added. I'm sure the Teriyaki sauce and curry sauces I have in my pantry all have sugar, as do things like stewed tomatoes. You can read labels to get tomato products with no sugar, and make other sauces from scratch.

I don't know how to make cookies without sugar, but I know it's possible. Consider maple syrup, honey, and molasses as alternatives to refined sugar. I love maple syrup drizzled over yogurt, yum.

• Like 1
  • Author

Maleficient, definitely a few health reasons why I have to stop eating sugar.

Alphamale, well I do like to eat British candy and chocolate chip cookies. Those have sugar in them. But I don't eat ice cream or candy bars, etc..

I think the nutritionist was just being a nutritionist because she didn't really address my dietary questions that well. She just rattled off standard nutritionist speak "you have to avoid eating refined sugars, blah blah blah..." and it was a wasted appointment.

I agree that refined sugar is everywhere and I don't want to starve myself.

• Author
Cook from scratch. Breakfast could be eggs, oatmeal, plain yogurt with fruit, etc. If you take out the sugar, consider adding fat for flavor. Plain yogurt is very delicious if it is full fat.

Bread is tricky, because sugar helps yeast rise. Most breads include at least a small amt of added sugar. Rice and other grains can be cooked from scratch to avoid added sugar. Pasta shouldn't have sugar, either (carbs yes, but not added sweetener).

Avoid packaged sauces, as most will have some sugar added. I'm sure the Teriyaki sauce and curry sauces I have in my pantry all have sugar, as do things like stewed tomatoes. You can read labels to get tomato products with no sugar, and make other sauces from scratch.

I don't know how to make cookies without sugar, but I know it's possible. Consider maple syrup, honey, and molasses as alternatives to refined sugar. I love maple syrup drizzled over yogurt, yum.

Good breakfast recommendations xxoo. I eat oatmeal with fruit but I'm so bored with it because the oatmeal has a ton of sugar in it since it's instant and not real steel cut oatmeal but the kind you microwave.

I think I will have to really make more of an effort to cook from scratch things that have a lot of refined sugar like red spaghetti sauce for example. It will be expensive but I have to do it.

I don't have a bread maker, but I will look into buying one to see if I can pull off making my own bread, like zucchini bread which is delicious.

Yeah, I also have a lot of packaged dry sauces that require water but they all have lots of sugar. So I have to use those and give them up.

Stop the microwaved, instant oatmeal!!!!

To make it microwaveable *and* instant, all the nutrients and fiber get stripped out. Try and get up a few minutes earlier to make it from scratch.

The other thing you can do for breakfast is a giant frittata that can be made ahead-of-time; just sauté your favorite veggies (I use leek, chard, zucchini and mushrooms), then add 8 or 10 eggs mixed with a bit of milk. Top with cheese and put it in the oven until it poofs up (20 minutes or so - I never time it). A slice for breakfast is fast and easy.

Also, look at the website 101Cookbooks; Heidi Swanson is BRILLIANT at creative, vegetarian options that are healthier.

• Like 1
Good breakfast recommendations xxoo. I eat oatmeal with fruit but I'm so bored with it because the oatmeal has a ton of sugar in it since it's instant and not real steel cut oatmeal but the kind you microwave.

Look around the store. I can buy pouches of steel cut oatmeal, no sweetener, that go in the microwave. Or just get the container of oats, as it's cheaper that way.

Zucchini bread is a "quick bread", which are typically sweetened. Something like a baguette may not have sugar. It's denser and doesn't rise much. When I baked my own bread products, the bread I made had some sugar, but the pizza dough had none at all. A pizza dough recipe makes a nice focaccia.

Read labels. I'm certain you can find tomato sauces without sugar.

For lunch today, I had rice with sauteed brussel sprouts and sardines. The brussel sprouts develop their own sweetness as they saute. Delicious,and no sugar.

For dinner, we had chili with beans and turkey burger. The tomato products had a little sugar, but I could have easily chosen cans without. We also had sauteed kale and grits with butter and salt. No added sugar.

It's not that hard to feed yourself simply without sugar. What's hard is dealing with the sugar cravings when you remove it abruptly :)

• Author
Stop the microwaved, instant oatmeal!!!!

To make it microwaveable *and* instant, all the nutrients and fiber get stripped out. Try and get up a few minutes earlier to make it from scratch.

The other thing you can do for breakfast is a giant frittata that can be made ahead-of-time; just sauté your favorite veggies (I use leek, chard, zucchini and mushrooms), then add 8 or 10 eggs mixed with a bit of milk. Top with cheese and put it in the oven until it poofs up (20 minutes or so - I never time it). A slice for breakfast is fast and easy.

Also, look at the website 101Cookbooks; Heidi Swanson is BRILLIANT at creative, vegetarian options that are healthier.

I know you're right CarrieT about the instant oatmeal. It barely has any nutritious value in it. I can get up early to make steel cut oatmeal though. I will try the frittata (not a giant one though) idea for breakfast too. I will check out that website you mentioned too. I need to lose about 40 pounds. So the quickest way to do that is change what I eat, not eat less, but just eat the right kinds of foods.

you could start using Splenda...sometimes i'll put it on everything. It's not bad except for the price.

It's hard. I was told to use unrefined sugars, but I've read in books that I shouldn't be using almost everything out there - one book even outlawed stevia.

Hope Shimmers

Refined white flour and other white starches (breads, potatoes) are just as bad as refined sugar. They are instantly metabolized directly to glucose in the body, with the exact same effect as eating refined sugar.

The key is not to completely avoid absolutely everything in that food class. Because actually, fructose found in fruits is quickly metabolized to glucose in the body as well - that's why diabetics have to limit fruit intake. They are better than refined sugar though, because they have some nutritional value and fiber which slows down their metabolism, whereas refined sugar has absolutely nothing to give it nutritional value or slow its metabolism.

A better approach in my opinion is to limit refined sugars (sounds like you do a decent job of that now) and make sure that when you do eat foods with sugars, you are also eating them with protein or fiber to slow their metabolism, therefore you don't get that glucose and subsequent insulin spike that leads to insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes over time. Eating whole foods is a great way to do that. It's what I do.

If you can use things like maple syrup and honey, then look at books like Against All Grain. Banana bread, chocolate chip cookies... she has all sorts of things that you can make. There are recipes on her site.

You can also use coconut sugar, maple sugar, etc, if you aren't restricting the alternatives.

• Author
Are you allowed to eat Sugar in the Raw?

It isn't white.

What is that? I've never heard of it. I was just diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. Type I Diabetes runs in both sides of my family. My grandfather lost 3 sisters to type I Diabetes, and my grandmother lost her brother to type I Diabetes.

Look around the store. I can buy pouches of steel cut oatmeal, no sweetener, that go in the microwave. Or just get the container of oats, as it's cheaper that way.

Zucchini bread is a "quick bread", which are typically sweetened. Something like a baguette may not have sugar. It's denser and doesn't rise much. When I baked my own bread products, the bread I made had some sugar, but the pizza dough had none at all. A pizza dough recipe makes a nice focaccia.

Read labels. I'm certain you can find tomato sauces without sugar.

For lunch today, I had rice with sauteed brussel sprouts and sardines. The brussel sprouts develop their own sweetness as they saute. Delicious,and no sugar.

For dinner, we had chili with beans and turkey burger. The tomato products had a little sugar, but I could have easily chosen cans without. We also had sauteed kale and grits with butter and salt. No added sugar.

It's not that hard to feed yourself simply without sugar. What's hard is dealing with the sugar cravings when you remove it abruptly :)

Figures that I would like the taste of quickbread (zucchini bread) that's not as healthy as a denser bread. What about pumpernickle bread? I wonder if that's healthy?

Tonight for dinner, I sauteed red bell peppers and steamed green beans, and ate those with buttered pasta. I screwed up on the buttered pasta though, didn't I? I love green beans with red bell pepper though. That tasted delicious.

I like your lunch items too. I want to stop eating sandwiches for lunch, like tunafish or deli meat with cheese.

Yeah, I already have the sugar cravings today and wonder how I'm going to get past it. I had no problem when I quit smoking cold turkey ironically, and fought the nicotine cravings with good results. I haven't smoked in 10 years and no longer crave cigarettes. Now, I have to get rid of the sugar cravings. I went crazy and stocked my pantry with bags of unsalted nuts tonight; walnuts, pecans, cashews, and sunflower seeds.

If you can use things like maple syrup and honey, then look at books like Against All Grain. Banana bread, chocolate chip cookies... she has all sorts of things that you can make. There are recipes on her site.

You can also use coconut sugar, maple sugar, etc, if you aren't restricting the alternatives.

are you aware of how much all these "alternatives" cost? you might as well eat refined sugar and become diabetic, it would be cheaper.

• Author
you could start using Splenda...sometimes i'll put it on everything. It's not bad except for the price.

Splenda? What is that?

It's hard. I was told to use unrefined sugars, but I've read in books that I shouldn't be using almost everything out there - one book even outlawed stevia.

What is stevia?

Refined white flour and other white starches (breads, potatoes) are just as bad as refined sugar. They are instantly metabolized directly to glucose in the body, with the exact same effect as eating refined sugar.

The key is not to completely avoid absolutely everything in that food class. Because actually, fructose found in fruits is quickly metabolized to glucose in the body as well - that's why diabetics have to limit fruit intake. They are better than refined sugar though, because they have some nutritional value and fiber which slows down their metabolism, whereas refined sugar has absolutely nothing to give it nutritional value or slow its metabolism.

A better approach in my opinion is to limit refined sugars (sounds like you do a decent job of that now) and make sure that when you do eat foods with sugars, you are also eating them with protein or fiber to slow their metabolism, therefore you don't get that glucose and subsequent insulin spike that leads to insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes over time. Eating whole foods is a great way to do that. It's what I do.

So much for my nutritionist appointment. My doc diagnosed me type II diabetes and you know more than my nutritionist about glucose. So I can't even eat fruits now? Or potatoes? Or pasta? How do I slow down refined sugars with a protein or fiber? Could you give me a menu example? Do you mean eat cheese with strawberries, or an apple with cheese? Or chicken with potatoes? That kind of combination?

I suppose I should Google type II diabetes menu items to use in my diet to lose weight and keep my blood sugar levels normal and not hypoglycemic since some foods have higher glycemic levels than others. I just learned that today, so the nutritionist wasn't a total failure but it sure feels like it.

So maple syrup and honey are not bad sugars? I'll check out Against All Grain. Thanks for that recommendation.

• Author
are you aware of how much all these "alternatives" cost? you might as well eat refined sugar and become diabetic, it would be cheaper.

I was just diagnosed type II diabetic today. Ergh. Plus, I'm low in specific vitamins and minerals. So I'm also taking a multivitamin, extra Iron, extra D. I don't even drink alcohol or fruit juice, just water and milk and tea. That's it. How did this happen to me? Stress? Middle age?

• Like 1

I make oatmeal with the regular oats (not instant) or steel-cut oats (which take longer to cook). As they're cooking, I'll add cinnamon and raisins, and then chopped banana at the last minute. It was sweet enough by itself, the last time I ate that, but you can add a little honey or maple syrup. I add coconut oil, as well.

I have a recipe for spaghetti sauce that I made last week, and mum liked it. I'll try to PM it to you tomorrow. I might be able to send a few more, as well, or post them here.

I go to bookstores, and look through all of the books available, note down a few recipes and other tips, and go gradually. I was doing pretty well until the weekend before last, then I improved, and the past few days, slipped again. I tried to cut out most unrefined sweeteners, as well, but it was crazy-making, despite the promises of these authors that I would be feeling great and enjoying what I could have. I just need to be careful.

• Like 1
amaysngrace
What is that? I've never heard of it. I was just diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. Type I Diabetes runs in both sides of my family. My grandfather lost 3 sisters to type I Diabetes, and my grandmother lost her brother to type I Diabetes.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have that. I'm not familiar with Diabetes but if I were you I'd follow your nutritionist's advice.

Raw sugar is unprocessed sugar. It tastes like sugar though, just a little bit stronger tasting.

But it is still sugar.

Can you do sugar free hard candy whenever you get a craving?

Believe me, I've had panic attacks over this - but I've been vomiting almost every day, all day and night, for just over five years. I scrimp and try different things every week, I don't eat sweet things every day. I work it out.

Spoonful of Sugar Free

http://www.iquitsugar.com

I Love Me More Than Sugar | The Book Companion Site

Against All Grain - Delectable paleo recipes to eat & feel great

The Whole30® Program - As featured in the New York Times bestselling book, It Starts With Food

Paleo diet books would probably be a big help to you. I know a woman who switched to a low-sugar, paleo-type diet. I think she drinks "bulletproof" coffee, a lot of chicken/bone broth. She's taking a break from facebook, to catch up on her painting, so I can't message her right now, but I'll see if I can find a guide that she posted.

• Like 1
sweetjasmine

You can microwave plain oatmeal, too. I get the big containers of plain oats, and cooking it takes just a little bit longer than cooking the standard sugar-loaded instant packets.

If you've just been diagnosed with diabetes, I'd recommend going to your doctor for suggestions and for recommendations on nutritionists. They can give you good information tailored to your specific needs so you don't have to wade through the internet trying to figure out what's accurate and what isn't. And they can help you figure out meal plans. If you weren't happy with the nutritionist you met with, see if you can meet with someone else, instead. It's important that you get good information and good help.

I'd suggest being careful with refined flour and fruits, like Hope Shimmers said. And be careful with honey, maple syrup, molasses, and raw or light brown or dark brown sugar. Just because it's not identical to sucrose/table sugar doesn't mean you're A-OK to eat a lot of it. You can eat these things but you need to control your diet and watch your blood sugar.

So maple syrup and honey are not bad sugars? I'll check out Against All Grain. Thanks for that recommendation.

I don't know. I don't go overboard, but I don't like really sweet things, as it is. I mostly used sugar in my tea, and only used a little bit of maple syrup or honey in oatmeal. Raw honey is very sweet, so I only need a small amount, if I use it.

I have read a few books that state you should give up maple syrup and honey, as well. The Hormone Reset Diet only allows Stevia.

• Author
I make oatmeal with the regular oats (not instant) or steel-cut oats (which take longer to cook). As they're cooking, I'll add cinnamon and raisins, and then chopped banana at the last minute. It was sweet enough by itself, the last time I ate that, but you can add a little honey or maple syrup. I add coconut oil, as well.

I have a recipe for spaghetti sauce that I made last week, and mum liked it. I'll try to PM it to you tomorrow. I might be able to send a few more, as well, or post them here.

I go to bookstores, and look through all of the books available, note down a few recipes and other tips, and go gradually. I was doing pretty well until the weekend before last, then I improved, and the past few days, slipped again. I tried to cut out most unrefined sweeteners, as well, but it was crazy-making, despite the promises of these authors that I would be feeling great and enjoying what I could have. I just need to be careful.

Yeah if you have time to PM me those recipes that would be awesome. I get overwhelmed looking online or in cookbooks for recipes when I go to the bookstore. I just don't know where to start.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have that. I'm not familiar with Diabetes but if I were you I'd follow your nutritionist's advice.

Raw sugar is unprocessed sugar. It tastes like sugar though, just a little bit stronger tasting.

But it is still sugar.

Can you do sugar free hard candy whenever you get a craving?

Thanks amaysngrace. At least with Type II I don't have to take insulin. I just have to lose the weight and lose it within the year or I could progress to type I which I definitely don't want to happen. I mean, I assume that type II is a progressive condition.

• Like 1