Amazing... Or Gross....?

Bear with me, this is a bit long....

OK. I'm a vegetarian.

The motive has primarily been due to health reasons, but the 'moral' issue has certainly gained ground and become prominent, although I refuse to ever become one of those rampant, militant "MEAT IS MURDER!!!" screaming fanatics (and I've met a couple, so please save me from that kind!).

However.

I have been reading several articles on the internet about nutrition, health, energy, hormone-balancing, and general well-being for myself, now that I'm fast approaching a menopausal stage, as well as being of an age where self-care and preservation should be an essential consideration....

Last Friday night, could I sleep? Could I heck-as-like. I think I was actually asleep for a little under an hour and a half. Insomnia is a curse, it's the pits. Knowing I wouldn't be able to sleep, I read, listened to the radio, filed my nails, did some knitting, completed some paperwork, watched a couple of streamed programmes on the laptop.... and finally rose at 06.00 in preparation for a long, busy saturday at work.

I showered, dressed, slapped a bit of camouflage/make-up on, and came down to eat breakfast, wondering how the hell I was actually get enough energy to work the forthcoming 8.5 hours....

Then I remembered.

I went online, did some research, and found the article i wanted.

Best energy booster, absolutely amazing. Almost a miracle food. Fantastic, matchless and so good for you.

Well, I had some in the freezer, so I cut and managed to portion myself about a tablespoonful, and just ate it. there and then.

Hell, I'm game, I'll try anything once.

What an amazing day.

One of my colleagues even asked me where I get my energy and good humour from.

I didn't share that morning's secret.

1 tablespoonful of frozen RAW BEEF LIVER.

So, what do you think?

The Liver Files | Weston A Price

The Real Food Fountain of Youth | The Healthy Home Economist | The Healthy Home Economist

Michelle ma Belle

I don't know. This sounds a lot like so many other dime-store remedies that have circulate the internet over the years.

I'm sure you would have gotten the same effect had you taken a wheat-grass shot or downed a 5-hour energy beverage. Or it could be more of a placebo effect - if you think it will work, it does.

Personally, eating any meat product raw, particularly the liver makes my stomach turn but to each their own.

If you're curious enough perhaps you might conduct your own clinical trial making sure to journal daily about how you're feeling. I'm willing to bet that whatever positive things you're experiencing will wear off within a few days.

Good luck!

If liver gave you a big boost then you may be low on iron. And it is tough for vegetarians to get enough iron without taking supplements. Low energy is one of the key indicators of that.

So you ate meat and felt better? What a shock! :) We are carnivores, after all. Rather than assuming that liver is some miracle food, more likely your diet is lacking and you aren't getting everything you need.

You might also try black liquorish. Strangely enough, it is one of the best sources of iron after red meat.

Edited by Robert Z
  • Like 1

My grandmother use to make me swallow a whole very large spoonful of olive oil whenever I was sick, was suppose to be some very old home remedy.

All it ever made me do is vomit :confused:

• Like 1
  • Author
I don't know. This sounds a lot like so many other dime-store remedies that have circulate the internet over the years.

No, actually, I have done quite a bit of research and it seems that liver is a highly under-rated food. The problem is, a huge number of people hate the thought of eating offal (it's extraordinarily good for you) and many more people hate liver, so it's rarely referred to in health-terms....

I'm lucky in that I was brought up in a household that will literally try anything once...

I'm sure you would have gotten the same effect had you taken a wheat-grass shot

No, I've had wheatgrass, and frankly, I believe THAt is over-rated and uber-hyped...

or downed a 5-hour energy beverage.
You have to be kidding me... have you seen the crap they put in that stuff!?

Or it could be more of a placebo effect - if you think it will work, it does.

No,actually, after about an hour I'd completely forgotten I'd taken it.

It was only at around 4pm, when my colelague mentioned my energy, that it occurred to me it might have had something to do with it....

Personally, eating any meat product raw, particularly the liver makes my stomach turn but to each their own.

Well there you go, hence my comment above about liver not receiving the prominence it deserves. Because eating it turns people's stomachs. I on the other hand have no qualms about eating (safe) raw meat. The French, Italians, Japanese and Turks have been doing it for millennia....It's a standard component of many forms of cuisine....

If you're curious enough perhaps you might conduct your own clinical trial making sure to journal daily about how you're feeling. I'm willing to bet that whatever positive things you're experiencing will wear off within a few days.

Good luck!

Thanks! I've been doing just that - and all looking good so far!

If liver gave you a big boost then you may be low on iron. And it is tough for vegetarians to get enough iron without taking supplements. Low energy is one of the key indicators of that.

I have thalassemia Minor and am prescribed Folic Acid, which I take religiously, so current tests show I'm not low on Iron at all. My haemoglobin/blood count came back as healthy, about three days before I took the first dose of Liver.

It's coincidental I had the test, but I've just joined a new Doctor's Clinic, and part of the standard preliminary health-check was a blood test. I gave them my medical background and history, so they're aware of the condition, too....

So you ate meat and felt better? What a shock! :) We are carnivores, after all.

No we're not, we're omnivores, but some have tendencies towards one or the other....

Rather than assuming that liver is some miracle food, more likely your diet is lacking and you aren't getting everything you need.

Thanks but that's incorrect. My Doctor tells me I have the health and constitution of a woman 20 years younger. I don't smoke, or drink, take regular exercise and am doing pretty good.

You might also try black liquorish. Strangely enough, it is one of the best sources of iron after red meat.

Yes, and it's also quite risky to the heart, so I'm steering clear of that, as my father had heart problems later in life.

autumnnight

Liver is definitely a good source of iron. When i was pregnant I had low iron and the supplement did NOT agree with me. I ate liver and spinach and was fine.

But raw.....yeah, that's gross. It might work, but I'd rather be sleepy lol

My grandmother used to love fried chicken livers, but somehow I think all that frying sort of defeats the purpose.....

I grew up eating chicken liver pate. Chopped liver. And have eaten it pan fried in chunks.

It never gave me the "boost" you're speaking of.

I think it's probably just the fact that your system has never had this before and your noticing a drastic change.