For those of you who are above 30, how has working out changed for you?

Is it harder to lift the same amount as before? Have you had to lessen to amount of workouts you do every week? How has it changed?

I'm more concerned with injuring my joints so don't do high impact nor heavy weights any more. I've always liked walking outside which I continue to do. Two or three miles every other day at minimum depending on the weather and how much time I have. I like to see gardens change with the seasons, note who has a new dog, who is remodeling their house, etc. I do endurance style workouts which can mean 50-70 reps of a particular move using slightly lighter dumbbells. You feel it!

I listen very carefully to my body now. I learned the hard way through repeated injuries when I couldn't work out for weeks at a time. I'd rather be consistent. I'm not competing with anyone and my goal is health, feeling and looking good. I actually think my body looks better now than it did before. I refuse to age gracefully = age lazily.

The best exercise for you is the one you will do. There is no one right way for everyone, even though some people insist their way is best!

Edited by FitChick
  • Like 6
I'm more concerned with injuring my joints so don't do high impact nor heavy weights any more. I've always liked walking outside which I continue to do. Two or three miles every other day at minimum depending on the weather and how much time I have. I like to see gardens change with the seasons, note who has a new dog, who is remodeling their house, etc. I do endurance style workouts which can mean 50-70 reps of a particular move using slightly lighter dumbbells. You feel it!

I listen very carefully to my body now. I learned the hard way through repeated injuries when I couldn't work out for weeks at a time. I'd rather be consistent. I'm not competing with anyone and my goal is health, feeling and looking good. I actually think my body looks better now than it did before. I refuse to age gracefully = age lazily.

The best exercise for you is the one you will do. There is no one right way for everyone, even though some people insist their way is best!

Re bolded: wouldn't this be more dangerous for joint injuries considering the high reps? (repetitive movements and all...)

I prefer strength training - lower reps with heavier weight. Heavy is relative of course, and you have to know your body.

For me as i age I am focusing more on limiting injuries and recovery. Much or my workouts and gear - now include things which involve recovery, repair and such. For example foam rollers, ankle braces, special shoes, special lifting bars, stretching/yoga, massage therapy, ointments, and more. Always constantly researching what I can do as alternatives to things that cause issues for my body (example no back squats so what I can do instead?), or to help work on weakness. Also gotten much better at listening to my body.

HazyCosmicJive
Is it harder to lift the same amount as before? Have you had to lessen to amount of workouts you do every week? How has it changed?

I'm in my 40s and I'm in much better shape then when I was under 30. I think it's because I finally learned how to work out effectively. I'm also more dedicated to it than I was back then.

• Like 2
HazyCosmicJive
I prefer strength training - lower reps with heavier weight. Heavy is relative of course, and you have to know your body.

For me as i age I am focusing more on limiting injuries and recovery. Much or my workouts and gear - now include things which involve recovery, repair and such. For example foam rollers, ankle braces, special shoes, special lifting bars, stretching/yoga, massage therapy, ointments, and more. Always constantly researching what I can do as alternatives to things that cause issues for my body (example no back squats so what I can do instead?), or to help work on weakness. Also gotten much better at listening to my body.

Try pistols in place of back squats. I've found that nothing burns out my quads like pistol squats and you won't trash your back doing them. The problem with back squats is that if your core is weaker than your legs (like mine) then you will never be able to burn out your legs until your core catches up, which may not happen before you injure yourself. In general, you can get quite strong using bodyweight exercises and it is very difficult to injure yourself doing them.

• Like 1
HazyCosmicJive
Re bolded: wouldn't this be more dangerous for joint injuries considering the high reps? (repetitive movements and all...)

Yes, this increases the chance of a repetitive motion injury. I gave myself tendonitis in the elbows by doing too many pull ups. It still bothers me a little, but I've gotten it to a manageable point by doing fewer reps, adding weight, and sometimes breaking up the exercise volume over the week (instead of doing 12 sets in one workout, do 6 sets one day and 6 sets later in the week). I've found that my progress is actually better now.

Try pistols in place of back squats. I've found that nothing burns out my quads like pistol squats and you won't trash your back doing them. The problem with back squats is that if your core is weaker than your legs (like mine) then you will never be able to burn out your legs until your core catches up, which may not happen before you injure yourself. In general, you can get quite strong using bodyweight exercises and it is very difficult to injure yourself doing them.

Thanks - yep wise advise.

I gave up on dead-lifts and squats a while ago, and started using trap bar dead lifts. I was able to finally build some strength in my legs with this, but even there I am hitting limits with how much I can lift with my back issues. I would love to hit 300, but 250ish is were I am seem to be settling in - and I only do trap deads once a week.

I recently searched for substitutes for squats and dead's..and of course got pistol squats, Bulgarian split squats, also weighted pelvic lifts, and more.

This is were I think aging exercisers need to do their home work. If something is hurting or injuring you - you need to look into alternatives, or substitutes, or even as you mention just body weight stuff (TRX might be good). The internet and youtube are so helpful for this.

• Author

Do you guys think part of the reason older people get hurt and can't do some exercises anymore is because they don't stretch properly? Or are the effects of age inevitable?

Years of high level sports have done good and bad for me. It taught me how to push my body and limits. Unfortunately everyone reaches there limits at some point, and mine prevented me from playing at an even higher level. I still apply my competitive nature from sports in the gym. I always increase intensity either in reps or weight. If you use good form and technique then there will be no long term diminishing effects from working out.

• Author
Years of high level sports have done good and bad for me. It taught me how to push my body and limits. Unfortunately everyone reaches there limits at some point, and mine prevented me from playing at an even higher level. I still apply my competitive nature from sports in the gym. I always increase intensity either in reps or weight. If you use good form and technique then there will be no long term diminishing effects from working out.

Holy moly. How old are you? I assumed you were like 19 or something.

• Like 1
HazyCosmicJive
Do you guys think part of the reason older people get hurt and can't do some exercises anymore is because they don't stretch properly? Or are the effects of age inevitable?

I think not stretching and warming up are a big reason. I'm terrible at both and every now and then I'll tweak a muscle because I started out too fast. I think the effects of age are cumulative, not necessarily inevitable. I'm in great shape for my age I think because when I was young I wasn't terribly athletic so I didn't do any damage to myself. I know guys who were into sports when they were young and they now have chronic problems.

Holy moly. How old are you? I assumed you were like 19 or something.

Oh ****, I misread. Thought it said below 30 oops hahaha my bad.

But I'd say the same principles apply.... My guess is that as you get older it's harder to make fitness a priority, this more injury, harder to workout. Again sorry for misreading, no more liquor before posting hahaha

HazyCosmicJive
Thanks - yep wise advise.

I gave up on dead-lifts and squats a while ago, and started using trap bar dead lifts. I was able to finally build some strength in my legs with this, but even there I am hitting limits with how much I can lift with my back issues. I would love to hit 300, but 250ish is were I am seem to be settling in - and I only do trap deads once a week.

I recently searched for substitutes for squats and dead's..and of course got pistol squats, Bulgarian split squats, also weighted pelvic lifts, and more.

This is were I think aging exercisers need to do their home work. If something is hurting or injuring you - you need to look into alternatives, or substitutes, or even as you mention just body weight stuff (TRX might be good). The internet and youtube are so helpful for this.

I do deadlifts but I take it easy. There are a couple variations that are easy on your lower back (sumo deadlifts and nutcrushers). Sometimes I'll mix these in. Single-leg Romanian deadlifts are great too. I've read that the trap bar deadlifts are a good exercise, but I haven't done them. I don't back squat much only because I don't really like it and I can't burn out my thighs like when I do the pistols. For some reason I hate lunges and Bulgarian split squats, but they're both good exercises. There's a book by Bret Contreras that has excellent bodyweight routines.

Unless you want to be a power lifter or bodybuilder, there's really no need to be lifting a crap load of weight; and unless you're in your early 20s or younger I don't see why you'd even want to start off on that path.

• Like 1

I got the ultimate body works gym, which uses your body as the weights. Instead of me buying a weight bench then you need weight bar, and finally the weights. Seems like a lot to get. But with the body gym you don't all the extras. Can do leg crunches, you can pull your entire body up, you can sit and pull your entire body up. Pretty interesting. There is resistance too so just don't think it's easy. You can use the 4 ties to get some resistance in anything you do. Also can do sit-ups . Can work on your arms, chest, legs and sides also so many different positions to work on.

It's inevitable.

As you get older, you heal more slowly. That means injuries are more severe and you need more rest between workouts. Basically, your body grows until you're about 25 and then you start dying. If you have any doubt about it, just look at pro athletes in physically demanding sports. After 30 or so, it's common to hear that players are slowing down or "losing a step". You can compensate for aging by appropriate exercise, but you can never overcome it.

• Like 1
wouldn't this be more dangerous for joint injuries considering the high reps? (repetitive movements and all...)

Oddly enough, no. Having proper form is important and stopping if you cannot maintain proper form. Rarely a joint will hurt so then I don't work that muscle for a period of time or do something different to hit it at a different angle.

I got recurring elbow tendonitis years ago from heavier lifting. Doesn't happen with lighter weights. Yet my results are better in terms of how I look. I have lost little strength.

Margaret Richard is my role model, paving the way ahead for people who want to be fit for the rest of their lives, instead of just resting. She is single and I had to laugh at what she said in this list (#2).

I am 38. I hate cardio. When I was young, I'd force myself to do it. Now I realize it's unnecessary. I weight train and look better than I ever did from cardio. Planks tone my abs better than sit ups or crunches ever did. Squats and lunges make my thighs and ass look better than any treadmill. So I have to say that as I've aged, I've realized that strength training benefits me so much more than cardio.

• Like 3

Just turned 31 about a month ago...and nothing has changed about my approach to training from when I was in my 20s.

I'm 42. I have been concerned whether my tendons would suffer but that hasn't been the case so far. I'm mindful and try to train smart in general but I think it's more about strength and a balanced physique than age.

• Like 1

Unless you want to be a power lifter or bodybuilder, there's really no need to be lifting a crap load of weight; and unless you're in your early 20s or younger I don't see why you'd even want to start off on that path.

Why not? You are training to better yourself. Not making progress is wasting time at best and regressing at worst. Those people lifting a crap load of weight didn't start lifting a crap load of weight. If anything (training) age has everything to do with lifting more.

Early 30's now but will be sorely dissappointed if I don't lift a significant amount more in the next 2 decades or so...

• Like 1
HazyCosmicJive
Why not? You are training to better yourself. Not making progress is wasting time at best and regressing at worst. Those people lifting a crap load of weight didn't start lifting a crap load of weight. If anything (training) age has everything to do with lifting more.

Early 30's now but will be sorely dissappointed if I don't lift a significant amount more in the next 2 decades or so...

I didn't mean to not continue working towards these goals if you're older, I meant I don't think it's realistic to START working towards them if you're older. Who would suddenly decide at age 40 that they want to be a powerlifter when it's already too late at that point?

HazyCosmicJive
I didn't start to seriously exercise until I was in my forties. It's never too late.

Same here, but I think that "exercising seriously" is a far cry from training to be a powerlifter.

Early 40s, nothing has changed for me. I've always listened to my body, never pushed. Other than an occasional muscle strain, I haven't had any injuries. My knees don't even hurt yet, knock on wood!

I run 5k distance about 3x a week, walk my dog 2 miles on the other days, and sprinkle in some hiking, skateboarding (just cruising), and sports with the kids.

• Like 1