I sometimes literally forget to breathe and often don't realise it until I start getting dizzy. Does anyone know if this is normal? It's like I'm literally too busy/distracted to remember breathing sometimes.

Maybe you should see a doctor...

When my blood pressure would get too low, I'd get dizzy and haver problems breathing.

Also, when I had a period where I was getting anxiety attacks, breathing was a problem. It's so weird, it just "happens". You go to the doctor and they can't see anything wrong with you.

Meditation and yoga helped me with my breathing and anxiety/stress.

I sometimes literally forget to breathe and often don't realise it until I start getting dizzy. Does anyone know if this is normal? It's like I'm literally too busy/distracted to remember breathing sometimes.

You're not supposed to have to remember to breathe. The carbon dioxide levels in your blood signal your brain to put the next breath in action.

I do vaguely recall reading of a syndrome where this mechanism doesn't function properly. Do you also yawn a lot? Might want to get checked out.

Best of luck.

Do make a Dr appt and explain to her/him what is going on. Get a full physical to make sure that everything is OK, even ask for an ECG test to make sure your heart is working normally.

Doubtful it's your breathing, more like low blood sugar that's affecting you, hence you all of a sudden aware of your breathing.

• Author

It's not that I can't breathe... I just forget it from time to time. When I then start breathing again I have no difficulties. I don't know how long I stop breathing, though. Maybe it's only a few seconds. I don't know.

I don't know if I yawn more than people usually do... but I tend to sigh a lot. But that's more the result of me inhaling deeply.

I don't really think it has to do with blood sugar because I feel ok as soon as I start breathing normally again. It's just that sometimes I'm distracted and then my vision starts getting fuzzy and I start feeling a bit dizzy. That's when I realise I'm not breathing properly. As soon as I breathe again I feel ok.