Gym newbie with questions

Hi. This week I started going to the gym for an hour after work. So far I've been to 2 classes and used the treadmill. I am super sore! Is it ok to keep going and work through the soreness? I'm so new to this that I have no idea if it is safe to keep working out or if I might injure myself.

Hi. This week I started going to the gym for an hour after work. So far I've been to 2 classes and used the treadmill. I am super sore! Is it ok to keep going and work through the soreness? I'm so new to this that I have no idea if it is safe to keep working out or if I might injure myself.

If possible, some more specific information on your workout is needed to give a a more specific answer. Which muscles you are working during the classes and how many days in between the classes?

As far as a general rule of thumb tho, enigmas advice should be followed.

• Author

Thanks for the replies. I googled it and came up with mixed responses.

There have been no days in between the workouts. I plan to do 4 days in a row just because that is most convenient for my schedule. Monday was aerobics that made my legs sore and Tuesday was a circuit class that left my upper back and and burning. I have noticed that the muscles I worked out on Monday are no longer sore but the muscles I worked out Tuesday and yesterday are killing me! So that makes me think that it's just DOMS and that it's fine to keep going like this.

Thanks for well wishes!

deathandtaxes

The worst thing as a newbie is just thinking you can take on the world at the gym and be ok. Doing too much too soon is a recipe for disaster. But it sounds like you're doing classes or somesuch and not weights? You can easily screw something up in you throw yourself in pell mell. And you don't want your first week to burn you out because you're too sore!! But it gets better!! Just enjoy it and listen to your body. Soreness is good. Pain? Mmm not so much.

• Like 2

Generally speaking if it's your muscles that are sore, you can continue to exercise, but if it's your joints, then you need rest. If you're doing four days on and three days off, you'll have plenty of recovery time in those three days.

• Like 1
Thanks for the replies. I googled it and came up with mixed responses.

There have been no days in between the workouts. I plan to do 4 days in a row just because that is most convenient for my schedule. Monday was aerobics that made my legs sore and Tuesday was a circuit class that left my upper back and and burning. I have noticed that the muscles I worked out on Monday are no longer sore but the muscles I worked out Tuesday and yesterday are killing me! So that makes me think that it's just DOMS and that it's fine to keep going like this.

Thanks for well wishes!

Sounds to me like you're doing great!! Your workout split (interval between working muscle groups) sounds good, as you're not overworking the same muscles on back to back days. Don't be afraid to push yourself. That being said just make sure you listen to your body, you know it better than any of us. If you feel like you need to take a rest day, take a rest day. Stretch, eat a balanced diet, get plenty of sleep, and drink lots of water to help prevent injury and get the best results. :)

• Author

Right now I am just doing the classes and jogging on the treadmill. I haven't worked myself up to weights yet. I have no idea how to work the machines or how to use proper methods for lifting. So far I've been too chicken to ask for help :) That's ok for now. I probably need to give myself some time to work up to them anyway.

I'll probably do 5 days per week but one of those will just be jogging or a video at home. I'm thinking two days will be enough rest.

No joint soreness yet but I will keep that advice in mind. After I left the gym today my abs were so sore I couldn't put on my seat belt! But it felt great! Thanks to everyone for the good advice and encouragement.

Ninjainpajamas

While your vigor is strong, and your determination is unwavering (always is in the beginning)...you are likely headed on a crash course to burning out of it, quick.

Going to the gym and doing all these exercises is about consistency...that's the hardest part about going to the gym...it's going to the gym, and the longer it goes the harder it becomes until it just kind of becomes a part of your life and you look forward to it.

But right now, you're just spreading the wings so to speak..so I'd be really careful about going balls to the wall, you need to pace yourself, especially since you are mostly doing lower body/leg exercises.

You're going to need a lot of rest, and also expect your appetite to shoot up. That's another unexpected for a lot of people, they don't have their diet filled out right, so when they get out of the gym they are starving, and if they want to lose weight they just try to go hungry...but you need protein and the right meal to give yourself back that energy...not pizza's and burgers or other junk foods...which look real good when you're dying of hunger.

Anyway, it's going to keep your butt but I'd say just keep it under control and give yourself a lot of rest and time to recover...the first three months is just a break in period, and it goes by fast, your ligaments and muscles don't just snap back into place and stretch out...that takes a process and if you push it too hard you might end up hurting yourself.

So give yourself lots of rest, and sleep and if you feel really sore...don't push it, once you get up to speed then your rest periods will get faster and recovery will increase..but in the beginning you have a real chance of injury, especially when the muscles get ahead of the ligaments...so make sure you stretch well too.

HazyCosmicJive

Sometimes you have to work through the soreness but you're always better off taking a long term approach and not burning yourself out. There are three aspects to fitness: exercise, nutrition and rest. All of them are equally important. I know when a few days off will do me a lot of good rather than continuing to work out. After a period of rest I always come back feeling stronger.

HazyCosmicJive
Right now I am just doing the classes and jogging on the treadmill. I haven't worked myself up to weights yet. I have no idea how to work the machines or how to use proper methods for lifting. So far I've been too chicken to ask for help :) That's ok for now. I probably need to give myself some time to work up to them anyway.

I'll probably do 5 days per week but one of those will just be jogging or a video at home. I'm thinking two days will be enough rest.

No joint soreness yet but I will keep that advice in mind. After I left the gym today my abs were so sore I couldn't put on my seat belt! But it felt great! Thanks to everyone for the good advice and encouragement.

If you want my advice, I'd advise you to avoid the machines and use bodyweight and free weight exercises. The machines are largely a waste of time. Also, don't waste a lot of time doing low-intensity cardio like the treadmill. Do high-intensity/interval type training like some of the classes and resistance (weight) training. I think you should find a few good fitness resources online or a good book on fitness training. The trainers at the gym just want you to use their equipment. I can refer you to some good websites and books if you're interested.

• Author

Thanks Hazy. It would be great it you could recommend some websites. I've found a lot of information online but much of it is contradictory. I would be helpful to get info from someone who actually uses it!

I took Friday and Sunday as rest days this week and only did lite jogging and walking on Saturday. My body feels totally rested with no sore muscles today. Does that sound like enough rest time? My body feels like it is enough.

One of the classes I'm taking is an interval strength training class. Right now I'm struggling to keep up but I know that with consistent effort I will improve.

I agree that free weights would be better to use. I am trying to work up the guts to try them out, it might take awhile! I'm using the city gym in my town so it is very low key with only 1 or 2 staff on duty.

If you want my advice, I'd advise you to avoid the machines and use bodyweight and free weight exercises. The machines are largely a waste of time. Also, don't waste a lot of time doing low-intensity cardio like the treadmill. Do high-intensity/interval type training like some of the classes and resistance (weight) training. I think you should find a few good fitness resources online or a good book on fitness training. The trainers at the gym just want you to use their equipment. I can refer you to some good websites and books if you're interested.

I'd have to disagree with you that I find bodyweight exercises to be largely inefficient and "useless," while machines definitely have their place; though I classify cable pulley systems as machines and can do entire workouts on a cable machine.

HazyCosmicJive
Thanks Hazy. It would be great it you could recommend some websites. I've found a lot of information online but much of it is contradictory. I would be helpful to get info from someone who actually uses it!

I took Friday and Sunday as rest days this week and only did lite jogging and walking on Saturday. My body feels totally rested with no sore muscles today. Does that sound like enough rest time? My body feels like it is enough.

One of the classes I'm taking is an interval strength training class. Right now I'm struggling to keep up but I know that with consistent effort I will improve.

I agree that free weights would be better to use. I am trying to work up the guts to try them out, it might take awhile! I'm using the city gym in my town so it is very low key with only 1 or 2 staff on duty.

Check out T-Nation. It's a pretty hardcore site, but they have a lot of great articles for beginners. Bodybuilding.com has good stuff too, and you can learn a lot by reading the forums.

I also like Bret Contreras' Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy; I got this book last summer and started working out with it at the park and I definitely saw noticeable improvements in my physique.

Also check out YouTube videos. Some good channels are Zuzka Light and Lee Hayward.

As for the "contradictory" part, that's unfortunately true. It's because everyone's body is different and responds differently to various exercises and techniques. You have to try different things and see what works for you. For example, some guys say they don't get a good chest workout from dips, others say they do; I'm in the latter group. As for rest, if you're not sore and have energy then you're good to go again.

Just read up and try different things and don't try to rush things. Good luck!

HazyCosmicJive
I'd have to disagree with you that I find bodyweight exercises to be largely inefficient and "useless," while machines definitely have their place; though I classify cable pulley systems as machines and can do entire workouts on a cable machine.

Bodyweight exercises are some of the best there are. If they're not working for you, then you're not doing them right or you're not exploring all the variations. For one thing, they're "closed chain" exercises that train your body as a functional unit. You can get a good core workout from doing push ups and hip thrusts, for example. Sure, if you're a bodybuilder or power lifter you wouldn't be using bodyweight exercises, but the OP is a beginner and for "normal" guys I think they're far from useless. Do you really think pull ups are useless? The lat pulldown machine - now that's useless.

HazyCosmicJive

To clarify, I'd classify cable machines as distinct from the other types of machines. I like the cables for certain isolation exercises and rowing exercises. I don't bother with any other machines.