Intermittent Fasting

Hello everyone just posting up a topic that may help some of you. Its called intermittent fasting. Check out leangains.com

I've done the 20/4 version for about a month and a half and have lost 10 lbs while bodybuilding. I started out at about 18% body fat so i'm certainly already skinny fat and larger individuals may experience better results. Hoping to get down to 10% within the next 3 months and go from there.

• Like 1

I'll second this. I've used intermittent fasting as well (leangains and other styles) to lose weight successfully. It's actually the only thing that always works for me. That and keeping carbs under 100/day.

Eat Stop Eat is another good book for the 1-2x/week fasting approach (24 hour fasts). Even if you choose to fast daily as in leangains, it's a good book to read.

I'm going to plug my fav website - www.marksdailyapple.com - as well. Once I started following the (paleo-inspired) advice there, I was able to easily lose 30 lbs and maintain a healthy weight range without much effort or intentional fasting after the initial weight loss.

Edited by 1980alence
  • Like 1

I tried the 500 calories a day for three non-consecutive days in a week fasting. It worked for me. I haven't tried the 20/4 version though.

• Like 1
  • Author

Yes ive seen the many other fasting styles. I will probably try them all eventually. I have also found intermitent fasting works really well for me. I don't not fell tired at all, quite the contrary. I'm more alert during the day and workouts are great. I'm never really hungry until around 6pm which is about 30 minutes post workout and when that time hits my appateit is off the wall and i feel extraordinary when i break my fast. Usually with a spinach and tuna salad one of my favorites.

I'm down to about 160 now from my original 175. My weight loss has slowed due to consuming more calories to achieve a higher lever of muscle mass. I wasn't able to conformable fit in 150-200g of protein a day on my previous caloric intake. Not even using protein shakes and i can't eat that much tuna because of the mercury.

I don't recommend doing any type of fasting without consulting a doctor first. It can be dangerous if proper channels are not crossed.

This works...and I'll use it just for a couple weeks prior to the beach or something like that...but otherwise, it's a miserable existence and I'd rather not do it... :laugh:

I just broke a water fast last night. I think I was on the verge of a healing crisis and I just didn't want to go through it. I'm thinking of trying again after the new year and hopefully make 7 days this time. The longest I've gone is 5 days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

There is nothing unhealthy about doing 16 to 20 hour fasts. It takes many hours to digest the food in your belly and we evolved to go much longer without food.

• Like 2
  • Author
This works...and I'll use it just for a couple weeks prior to the beach or something like that...but otherwise, it's a miserable existence and I'd rather not do it... :laugh:

I have found fasting for 20 hours (over 8 are when im sleeping) to be very convenient. My body has adjusted and i never really feel hungry throughout the day

• Like 1
toscaroscura

It works. When I was getting in shape for the military and dropping weight, fasting combined with exercise did the trick.

The one that worked best for me was the "one big meal per day". I was never much of a breakfast person, and having a nice big early dinner left me satisfied. Of course, you can't eat just junk on it.

Oh, and one day per week I had a no fast day, where I just ate whenever I wanted.

• Like 2

I really like intermittent fasting. I did a long-term fast a few years ago and got really sick. I think my body was dumping toxins too quickly. But that was a long- term thing. Intermittent fasting is way different and I think it's really healthy. People seem to think if you're not eating 3 squares a day, you're doing something wrong. Our bodies need a break from the overload.

I also like the 5-bite diet. That one is pretty good, too. You can find an interview with the dr on YouTube.

todreaminblue

my mother is sixty seven she does this ....she eats one meal a day...she cant stomach much else......she lives on noodles and veggies......she can survive on next to nothing......her body fat.....not visible....she is small boned however....she is actually a fit little sprite....she has eaten one meal a day for years.......occasional day off..deb

• Like 1

I often run fasted in the a/m ...it was a tip a PT gave to me in one of my cross fit sessions. Intermittent fasting can be beneficial, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone just posting up a topic that may help some of you. Its called intermittent fasting. Check out leangains.com

I've done the 20/4 version for about a month and a half and have lost 10 lbs while bodybuilding. I started out at about 18% body fat so i'm certainly already skinny fat and larger individuals may experience better results. Hoping to get down to 10% within the next 3 months and go from there.

I.F, counting calories, calculating macros, carb cycling, none of this matters.

Your calorie deficit determines fat loss. Whatever your preferred ,method is you were in calorie deficit. It is that simple. Accounting for adequate protein to maintain muscle, it is your calorie deficit that has final say on fat loss.

I'll admit I started doing this a few weeks ago and have seen results. Although the reason I started is because I don't have enough money to eat lol. I'm not worried about starving to death. It's just that I don't have extra money to go out to eat or buy snacks anymore. So even when I crave sugar, there's no way for me to get it unless I steal it from the store.

I've tried several different diets and none of them worked. I have a husky lumberjack build. I'm strong enough to bench press over 300lbs but I still have a gut and my arms are huge without being defined. Fasting so far has been the only effective method of weight loss for me.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this to just anyone though. Everyone's body works differently. This may work for me but it might be detrimental to someone else.

organizedchaos

Been easily living an IF life for past 3 years. Dropped 30lbs and kept it off. I don't cut out any foods and just make sure I'm in range of my calories and macros. Don't really count anymore either.

Oh, and I lift. ?

organizedchaos

Your calorie deficit determines fat loss. Whatever your preferred ,method is you were in calorie deficit. It is that simple. Accounting for adequate protein to maintain muscle, it is your calorie deficit that has final say on fat loss.

True. I don't need breakfast so IF just lets me have larger lunches and dinners.

I've been experimenting with different diets as of late and have found something that really works for me. I'm a huge water drinker and can keep myself filled up for the most part with just that, however I also have a certain protein goal I am trying to meet. So throughout the day, I will drink three servings of protein powder mixed with water and just plain cold water.

That nets me 510 calories, 90g of protein, 27g carbs, and 3g of fat. With a goal of about 2000~2500 cals per day for cutting, that leaves me about 1500~2000 calories for my dinner, way more than enough to each just about anything I want (well I don't gorge a whole pizza or something crazy like that :laugh: ), but knowing at the end of the day I can eat just about anything, and still be within my caloric intake level and having a very good amount of protein makes it easy to do. Already have plans tonight to eat at Islands, love the Kilauea burger with a turkey patty :D

crosswordfiend

While this is true at a cellular level, I'm not sure how much control any individual has over how many calories they consume or expend.

There are many hormonal factors at play. For instance, does a child get taller because he is eating more food, or is he eating more because his body is growing and needs more food? Likewise, if you are stranded on a desert island or playing Survivor, the lack of available food will cause your body to become tired and thus not expend as many calories.

I hate to simply contradict, but this is simply not true. Insulin response triggers fat storage. Carbohydrates provoke insulin response. The amount of fat stored is NOT just a function of calories in vs. calories out. Read some books; expand your mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About-ebook/dp/B003WUYOQ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424103528&sr=1-1&keywords=gary+taubes

http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Blueprint-Reprogramme-effortless-boundless-ebook/dp/B004I8VGYE/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424103565&sr=1-1&keywords=primal+blueprint

• Like 1
I hate to simply contradict, but this is simply not true. Insulin response triggers fat storage. Carbohydrates provoke insulin response. The amount of fat stored is NOT just a function of calories in vs. calories out. Read some books; expand your mind.

Which is why you want to focus on foods having a low glycemic index.

• Like 1

I have looked at the paper on which all of this is based and I don't see that it ever got published. That means, assuming that I didn't miss something, that the information presented cannot be trusted. It could be total bs intended to sell books. And the write up provided by the author sounds crackpotty.

If you weed through all the controversy, you'll find that most medical experts agree on one thing: fasting is not a healthy weight loss tool.

"The appeal is that [fasting] is quick, but it is quick fluid loss, not substantial weight loss," says Madelyn Fernstrom, PhD, CNS, founder and director of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's Weight Loss Management Center.

"If it's easy off, it will come back quickly" -- as soon as you start eating normally again, she says.

Even some proponents of fasting for other medical purposes do not support fasting for weight loss. Some say it can actually make weight problems worse.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/is_fasting_healthy

Despite the growing enthusiasm for intermittent fasting, researchers have conducted few robust clinical trials, and its long-term effects in people remain uncertain. Still, a 1956 Spanish study sheds some light, says Louisiana-based physician James B. Johnson, who co-authored a 2006 analysis of the study's results. In the Spanish study, 60 elderly men and women fasted and feasted on alternate days for three years. The 60 participants spent 123 days in the infirmary, and six died. Meanwhile 60 nonfasting seniors racked up 219 infirmary days, and 13 died.

In 2007 Johnson, Mattson and their colleagues published a clinical study showing a rapid, significant alleviation of asthma symptoms and various signs of inflammation in nine overweight asthmatics who near-fasted every other day for two months.

Detracting from these promising results, however, the literature on intermittent fasting also includes several red flags. A 2011 Brazilian study in rats suggests that long-term intermittent fasting increases blood glucose and tissue levels of oxidizing compounds that could damage cells. Moreover, in a 2010 study co-authored by Mattson, periodically fasting rats mysteriously developed stiff heart tissue, which in turn impeded the organ's ability to pump blood.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-intermittent-fasting-might-help-you-live-longer-healthier-life/?page=2

Edited by Robert Z
  • Like 1
CrystalShine2011

I usually do a "meat fast" where I find protein in other foods. I don't fast with anything else though - makes me a bit nervous!