High blood pressure

Today I hit a record high with my high blood pressure. 172 over 112. I don't think it has ever been that high before. It may just be a fluke but I'll wait a couple days and repeat it.

• Author

Yes resting. I think part of my problem may be the thanksgiving food I ate which many of those dishes are high in sodium. Plus I snack on kettle brand potato chips at work and I tried an experiment of taking myself off the blood pressure medicine to see if I really still need it. I'm not going to tell my doctor about that. I just need to go back on it.

I get spikes occasionally even while on meds - stress, sickness, cold medications, and the like can spike it.

• Author

Yeah stress can spike it big time. During this holiday season it may be a combination of the stress and high sodium holiday foods. But to be safe I'm taking a break on the potato chips. Granted the kettle brand chips have alot of good fat and they are better nutritionally for us but they are high in sodium. I just gotta monitor my portions.

• Author

Blood pressure seems to be back to normal readings now like 128 over 71. I went back to taking my medicine too.

That record high I had the other day was most likely a fluke even without the medication but still I took it as a lesson to stay on track with the meds and watch my sodium intake.

But to anyone else who get these fluke readings don't jump to conclusions or panic based on one high reading. Do a repeat later like the next day or something.

I notice mine went up when I was drinking too much coffee. I cut back to very little and my number went back to normal. Stress, what you eat over a period of time can make a difference for sure.

• Author
I notice mine went up when I was drinking too much coffee. I cut back to very little and my number went back to normal. Stress, what you eat over a period of time can make a difference for sure.

Doctor's office is the worst place to get blood pressure testing done because of the stress factor. The readings are likely to be overdone because patients might get nervous while waiting for the doctor to talk to them about test results or CAT scan findings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Well over the last 2 weeks I have taken my own blood pressure at home and I seem to get higher readings in the daytime than at night. At night my readings would be like 126 over 75 range. But today at noon I had to take it twice 1/2 an hour apart. First reading was 159 over 97. 2nd reading was 147 over 92.

I have documented all this in writing. I guess they will have to increase the dose of my medication. I haven't used any table salt whatsoever since thanksgiving. Taco Bell food is high in sodium. I cut that out months ago. The good thing is that it never got as high as 170 like it did that one time earlier this month.

Are you taking any meds for it? That's pretty high. Prolonged high pressure damages the blood vessels by making them hard and unable to dilate/constrict (this is termed arteriosclerosis). Doctors usually prescribe beta-blocker drugs (Metoprolol, Toprol, Carvedilol) or other drugs like Lisinopril. If you have ANY family history of stroke you NEED to get this taken care of ASAP.

Well over the last 2 weeks I have taken my own blood pressure at home and I seem to get higher readings in the daytime than at night. At night my readings would be like 126 over 75 range. But today at noon I had to take it twice 1/2 an hour apart. First reading was 159 over 97. 2nd reading was 147 over 92.

I have documented all this in writing. I guess they will have to increase the dose of my medication. I haven't used any table salt whatsoever since thanksgiving. Taco Bell food is high in sodium. I cut that out months ago. The good thing is that it never got as high as 170 like it did that one time earlier this month.

Why do people default to meds?

Ever consider that exercise and/or relaxation/meditation might help?

My fav podcaster is a lady in her 60's. She went for a bone density exam and scored on the lower end. They were ready to give her a prescription. She asked them to hold off on it and she took on some strength-training activities. Well, next time she went, her bone density exam improved and she did not need meds.

I have a sibling who was obese. He was pre-diabetes, needed a sleep machine and developed high-blood pressure in his 20's. He lost a lot of weight and started working out. One day he was happy to call me and let me know that doc took him off the meds and he is no longer pre-diabetes. I've also heard similar stories to his by other people - even a lady who had joint pain at one point.

My mum's pressure is going back up, and so has her weight.

I have another sibling with high blood pressure, who fluxed between being overweight and slimming down - but like me, he's high anxiety and gets stressed. I'm trying to get him to work out and take meditation - but he won't do it - yet remains on the meds.

Some food for thought...

• Like 1
  • Author

Because the medication route is easier for some of us. I don't have time to be doing special exercises each day. I get enough moderate activity at my work. I have a good resting pulse rate of 76 beats per minute.

Certain chemotherapy drugs give high blood pressure as a long term side effect.

Edited by Darren2013
Because the medication route is easier for some of us. I don't have time to be doing special exercises each day. I get enough moderate activity at my work. I have a good resting pulse rate of 76 beats per minute.

Certain chemotherapy drugs give high blood pressure as a long term side effect.

I hate to disappoint you, but medication is not natural, and they all have side effects. Last thing I wanna be is a slave to the medical industry.

People say they don't have time to exercise and stuff, but it only takes a minimum of 30 min to 1 hr a day and the studies show the effects are worth it. Just like sitting down and tracking your spending habits. I bet if you made a journal of what you did from sunrise/sunset, you'd see where you have room to fit in some working out. I mean, the time you are spending on this forum could be used taking a walk.

We humans weren't created to be so sedentary, but technology has made us this way.

BTW, the "moderate" physical activity at work you speak of won't cut it. One of my favorite magazines came out with an article that even scared me - which is, that even though I work out, cuz I spend 8 hrs in a chair in a cubicle at work, that's just as bad as not working out at all. So, they encourage you to move around in the office (i.e. walking to speak to people instead of e-mails/calls, using the stairs instead of elevators, and/or walking on breaks).

http://greatist.com/fitness/how-to-fit-exercise-into-a-busy-work-schedule

• Author
I hate to disappoint you, but medication is not natural, and they all have side effects. Last thing I wanna be is a slave to the medical industry.

People say they don't have time to exercise and stuff, but it only takes a minimum of 30 min to 1 hr a day and the studies show the effects are worth it. Just like sitting down and tracking your spending habits. I bet if you made a journal of what you did from sunrise/sunset, you'd see where you have room to fit in some working out. I mean, the time you are spending on this forum could be used taking a walk.

We humans weren't created to be so sedentary, but technology has made us this way.

BTW, the "moderate" physical activity at work you speak of won't cut it. One of my favorite magazines came out with an article that even scared me - which is, that even though I work out, cuz I spend 8 hrs in a chair in a cubicle at work, that's just as bad as not working out at all. So, they encourage you to move around in the office (i.e. walking to speak to people instead of e-mails/calls, using the stairs instead of elevators, and/or walking on breaks).

How to Fit Exercise into Your Routine?No Matter How Busy You Are

I don't sit in an office all day. I am standing and walking much more than I am sitting down actually. It depends on the kind of work one does. Big difference in physical activity between office job vs. working in a warehouse for example.

Besides that I am only 5 pounds overweight now. At the rate that my weight is dropping without exercising I will be at my ideal weight in 2 months. I weigh 226.5 pounds this morning. There's been a big drop since early March. I was at 250 pounds back then.

• Author

How to Fit Exercise into Your Routine?No Matter How Busy You Are

Well yes all medicines have side effects but it is just a matter of degree and which side effects you can live with. Some of those side effects can be counteracted with other meds and also with home remedies. I get dry lips from some of the meds I take. It is a benign side effect and one I can manage quite well with the proper blistex and Vaseline on my lips. Memory loss side effects? That's a moot point for me as I have already been losing my memory. But again that's benign too and can be managed by writing notes to myself.

Each person has to decide whether the benefits of the meds they take outweigh the side effects. Just like with cancer treatment. Some patients refuse cancer treatment because they don't think the benefits are worth dealing with the side effects which is their perogative.

I don't sit in an office all day. I am standing and walking much more than I am sitting down actually. It depends on the kind of work one does. Big difference in physical activity between office job vs. working in a warehouse for example.

Besides that I am only 5 pounds overweight now. At the rate that my weight is dropping without exercising I will be at my ideal weight in 2 months. I weigh 226.5 pounds this morning. There's been a big drop since early March. I was at 250 pounds back then.

And lots of construction workers have pot-bellies. And, they do a lot of physical stuff, all freakin' day.

Just cuz you're moving around doesn't mean you are elevating your heart level to become fit, burn calories, and/or lose weight.

Also, "thin" does not equate "fit".

But, you do what you believe you believe is best.

• Author

Alot of construction workers also eat fast food on their lunch breaks too. That's just my observation. I don't see them eating salads. Of course physical activity alone is not enough to lose weight. Even if they did additional exercises at home it won't help them at all if they are eating fast food everyday at work. What they are eating has to be taken into account. Going to the gym won't do anything for someone eating fast food 5 days a week on the job.

Edited by Darren2013
Alot of construction workers also eat fast food on their lunch breaks too. That's just my observation. I don't see them eating salads. Of course physical activity alone is not enough to lose weight. Even if they did additional exercises at home it won't help them at all if they are eating fast food everyday at work. What they are eating has to be taken into account. Going to the gym won't do anything for someone eating fast food 5 days a week on the job.

I'm not just talking about weight loss, cuz yes, weight loss often begins with changes in dietary habits.

Exercise builds our physical endurance, helps with circulation - something someone with heart issues could use. Exercise is not just to lose weight.

Ever hear about people who survive surgery and/or being shot or stabbed or in an accident? You'll often hear the doctors say that their "physical conditioning" is what helped their body deal with and/or survive the trauma.

• Author

Well there's good news. Over the last 3-4 days my blood pressure levels have been normal. I documented it in my phone notepad.

The last 4 readings were 127 over 85. Then 117 over 80. Then 115 over 72. The most recent one was today at 106 over 75. That right there is a perfect level.

I have not done anything different. I haven't changed any doses in my medication. Physical activity is still the same.

There's only one possible explanation to why I had high readings for awhile and that is maybe it is stress related. I do have alot of anxiety over some things going on in my life. Those high readings come randomly and intermittently and are not consistent pattern.

• Like 1

A few things:

What is your age? What other cofactors do you have, cholesterol? diabetes? family history of heart attack or stroke?

Too much salt doesn't make healthy peoples' blood pressure skyrocket. Further, Asian cultures consume even more salt than the western world but they have very low incidence of cardiovascular disease. If it has that effect in you, then there are genetic or disease factors at play.

You need to stay on your meds. Your pressure was crazy high. Unless you were in the middle of intense exercise your levels should not be anywhere at those numbers. Did you take your reading immediately after running up a flight of stairs?

The natural route is not for you in the near term, if ever. To suggest so is irresponsible. Your numbers are so high that they will cause damage to your heart and kidneys. I'm all for a healthy lifestyle over taking meds, but you're clearly not there.

What is your height? At 225 pounds I'm guessing you're more than 5 pounds overweight. Probably, more like 35 pounds over. Get the weight down, keep a healthy diet, and maybe the BP will alleviate to some degree. You might not get completely off the meds but you might be able to switch to a less aggressive drug or use a lower dose.

signed,

A health fitness professional with multiple clients in heart or kidney failure; and who loses around 5 patients a year to stroke, diabetes, and heart attack.

A better guide to your real blood pressure is one of those 24 hour ones, it takes a reading every half hour so should be able to give a more realistic "average". Ask your doctor for one.

Its a bit of a pain and at the end of it your arm feels like a punchbag but it is worth it.

I am 6 ft 3 inches tall. According to most charts I should weigh in the 195- 217 range.

Medically, for you, going over 200 lbs is increasing your risk.