Don't Feel Guilty About Pigging Out On Thanksgiving

I heard a nutritious on the radio earlier tonight talk about the high amount of calories the average thanksgiving meal is each year. They were saying something like 4500 calories and if you add desserts that's 6000 calories.

That's interesting information to know but I hope that it doesn't ruin anyone's fun during the holiday season. It's a special occasion so of course people are going to be inclined to eat more than they normally eat throughout the year.

Sure there will be minor setbacks in weight loss goals if those calories are not burned up but I don't think anyone's in danger of dying from a stroke or a heart attack just because of pigging out on thanksgiving. Usually those things happen because of a pattern of eating more calories than burning and a pattern of eating rich foods. But a pig out day on holidays is not going to be the thing that causes a decline in health.

If I was a doctor I wouldn't give any kind of dietary guidelines on thanksgiving. I say just enjoy yourself and eat until your heart's content. It would be hypocritical of me as a doctor to recommend anything else when I would be doing the same thing of committing gluttony.

Besides it's a proven fact that many doctors eat unhealthy food at the office and probably don't follow their own nutritional recommendations for patients. Doctors get overweight too.

Now for me personally I don't plan on pigging out that much as my appetite has been reduced this year. The way things have been going I'll probably just eat 1 plate and be done for the rest of the day. I don't get as hungry like I used to. On a typical day I eat 1 big breakfast and then a snack 4-5 hours later and then a moderate dinner in the evenings and then I'm done. On days when I go out to eat like at five guys burgers my belly is pretty much satisfied for the next 20-24 hours.

I mean on a day like tomorrow the last thing you want to think about is tracking how many calories you consumed. That kind of spoils the fun to think about those things on a holiday. It only comes once a year. Okay sure we get to do it all over again at Christmas so twice a year even is okay.

Edited by Darren2013
Under The Radar

I just lie to everyone at the table and tell them everything is fat free ...... including the mac & cheese, gravy, and pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream.

You'd be surprised ...... friends and family tend to sleep like babies, guilt free, the rest of the evening ;)

I never pig out on Thanksgiving because I don't like having a stomach ache. Just take a little of everything to sample. Then later on you can have an extra slice of pie or more meat if there are leftovers.

• Like 1
  • Author

I would never serve anything fat free or even lie about it if guests are coming over. They probably wouldn't come back.

Ruby Slippers

I'm on a health and fitness kick lately. I planned out my day before I even ate, figured out how to get everything I wanted in for 1,850 calories total. Including a piece of pumpkin pie!

I never pig out on Thanksgiving because I don't like having a stomach ache. Just take a little of everything to sample. Then later on you can have an extra slice of pie or more meat if there are leftovers.

Yeah, I don't really understand the stuffing yourself like a pig on Thanksgiving that some seem to think you're supposed to do. I just eat till I am satisfied, except it's turkey, ham, stuffing and so on, with family and friends. The whole point is to be with family and friends enjoying a meal and giving thanks to the indigenous people of this land who helped us survive durring a time that we couldn't fend for ourselves. Nevermind the part where we later go on to slaughter them and take pretty much everything they have.

But yeah, I don't overeat on thanksgiving. I don't think of it as an excuse to be gluttonous. Just to enjoy the traditional meals with family and friends.

• Author

I don't think anyone is implying that you have to stuff yourself. The whole point I was making is just relax and live a little once in awhile like on these holidays and yes eat until you are satisfied. Unless you already have a heart condition or are diabetic then there's really no reason not to eat until your belly is full. Overall yes listen to your body because it knows best how to communicate with you and if you still feel hungry after 1 serving of food then there's no reason to ignore the cravings for more if you don't have a health condition. One day of indulgence is very unlikely to result in a serious medical condition over the weekend.

I think that having cheat days to look forward to can be an incentive to stick to a diet plan the rest of the year. Do yourself a favor and cut yourself a break and try not to think about the calories for 1 day.

It turns out like today I had 1 plate of everything and then a piece of cake and ice cream 3 hours later. I didn't have any breakfast or dinner. Just a big thanksgiving lunch. My belly is still satisfied until tomorrow morning. I love turkey dinner. It is comfort food.

Edited by Darren2013
Under The Radar
I would never serve anything fat free or even lie about it if guests are coming over. They probably wouldn't come back.

Oh, they come back.

Like the woman who was sitting next to me at the table (a friend of a friend of a friend) when she asked me if the 3 butter milk biscuits I just ate were carb free?

I looked at her quizzically and shrugged ...... sure I said ...... why not ...... as I started eating my 4th. After all, it's only bread ...... there's no carbohydrates in bread right?

LOL

I think I did okay this year, had one serving of each side dish minus the Turkey. I don't eat meat looking at the Turkey made me :sick:, my father's side of the family likes to eat the organs, especially the butt, watching them eat that turned my appetite off. Blah.

"I don't leave the table when I am full...I leave when I hate myself"

Louis CK.

"But then I have another glass of wine and I am cool with myself"

Dichotomy

I've been eating worst than a piglet for the past few days. I feel disgusted with myself, oh but the food is so good. Back to fasting starting tomorrow.