Is it bad to be underweight?

I'm slightly underweight (5'9" and 116 lbs) and people constantly tell me that I should eat more. But I think I look ok and I feel ok and I'm just not that hungry, so I don't find the idea of eating more appealing.

From a medical viewpoint, is it really necessary to gain weight or can I continue like this as long as I feel ok?

Are you healthy, strong, and energetic? Skin, hair, and nails look healthy? If so, you're probably fine.

I've been underweight at times. I nursed babies while underweight according to the charts. The babies were fat :D My doctors never mentioned concerns about my weight. My blood work and vitals were all healthy.

Do you exercise?

I think you should check with your doctor. They can run tests and see if you are actually healthy.

IMO, "thin" does not necessarily equate "healthy". Also, it may take time for you to start having bad/brittle hair, bones, etc.

Depends on how far underweight you are. Being underweight is not good for the immune system. Cancer patients especially cannot afford to be underweight. Doctors recommend a liberalized diet for them during treatments to keep their weight up because protein and fat is necessary for fighting cancer.

It's kind of ironic that I needed to lose weight before I came down with cancer but now the cancer seems to be doing the job for me slowly. The body uses up the fat stores in an effort to fight the cancer. While I can afford to lose more weight in the short term I just have to make sure I don't get too skinny either. So in a way being overweight before the cancer came kind of worked out in my favor as it had a hand in helping me live this long I think.

And yes being underweight can shorten one's lifespan.

If you're healthy and being monitored, then it doesn't have to be a big deal.

But being underweight is, in a lot of cases, worse than being overweight.

My step sister is anorexic and has been for years, refusing help and to even acknowledge her problem. Her blood work has been horrific for about 2 years now and since this summer she's been in and out of hospital, with potassium levels so low her doctor said she had never seen them this low on someone that wasn't dead. Plus her kidneys are starting to fail. So it is now a real worry that she could potentially die in the very near future, if she doesn't change her behaviour (which she uses to manipulate her parents and have them wrapped around her finger).

So I would keep in mind that it could potentially get really bad really fast.

I'm slightly underweight (5'9" and 116 lbs) and people constantly tell me that I should eat more. But I think I look ok and I feel ok and I'm just not that hungry, so I don't find the idea of eating more appealing.

From a medical viewpoint, is it really necessary to gain weight or can I continue like this as long as I feel ok?

what is >> 5'9" and 116 lbs in cm and kg?

• Author
what is >> 5'9" and 116 lbs in cm and kg?

1,75 m and 53 kg.

I don't think that I'm that skinny. But recently someone told me that this is "dangerously low". I don't really believe that?

1,75 m and 53 kg.

I don't think that I'm that skinny. But recently someone told me that this is "dangerously low". I don't really believe that?

you weight like me and I am 1.60 m :eek::eek::eek:

to find out the best way is to go to the doctor and have a check though. :)

some people can be skinny and still in good health.

i still cant believe you are 15cm higher than me and weight the same.. i feel like a little whale now :lmao:

1,75 m and 53 kg.

Well... it is kinda low. You are quite tall. If you check your BMI, it will tell you you are quite underweight.

Have you had any blood work done recently? It's not about how you look, really, but whether your levels are healthy. If they're not, it could lead to severe health complications (more so, and faster than, being overweight!)

thefooloftheyear

Its really hard to tell if someone is over or under weight without at least a photo...there are far too many variables to consider...There are 150 lb guys my height that are "fat" and there are 230 lb guys that are lean....And vice versa...

I will say that I disagree with most of the "scales" or "standards" that tell what people should weigh....Only a very small percentage ever fall into those zones, yet live completely healthy lives...

Some people that are chronically underweight may suffer from joint problems as their frame is too frail for the general rigors of an adult life..especially as they age..

TFY

Its really hard to tell if someone is over or under weight without at least a photo...there are far too many variables to consider...There are 150 lb guys my height that are "fat" and there are 230 lb guys that are lean....And vice versa...

I will say that I disagree with most of the "scales" or "standards" that tell what people should weigh....Only a very small percentage ever fall into those zones, yet live completely healthy lives...

Some people that are chronically underweight may suffer from joint problems as their frame is too frail for the general rigors of an adult life..especially as they age..

TFY

Exactly. That's why I asked about recent blood tests. They are the only thing that could tell him/us whether he's healthy or not. Being underweight has a much bigger impact on your health than being overweight. But it can be that the OPs weight is still ok, even though he is very tall.

But without that information, we can't know.

• Author

I haven't had any blood work done recently ... (Actually, I'm not sure if I've EVER had a blood test my life before.) But I guess I'll do that soon, just to be sure.

You consider 1,75 m as tall? I feel tiny ^^

I haven't had any blood work done recently ... (Actually, I'm not sure if I've EVER had a blood test my life before.) But I guess I'll do that soon, just to be sure.

maybe we all thought you were a girl! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

because you are a guy i think you are underweight then.

Maybe you should do some sport to build some muscles mass up and gain some weight.

:)

thefooloftheyear
Oh.

No, sorry, I'm a guy. ;)

Actually, I probably dont need a pic...That weight at that height is too underweight for an adult male...I just cant imagine that...To put that in perspective, when I was 15 years old, I wrestled at that weight...And I was 5'4" tall then...My bodyfat then at that height was probably 4 or 5% and I was sick the entire season...It was crazy...I am 5'6" and around a solid 216-220 now(about 14%BF)

Id go on a heavy duty gain program...You will add some fat along with some muscle, but you would probably need to at your weight...It will help you in the end...Id think that 150 or so would be minimum...but im no doctor...

TFY

• Like 1

Yes, do that. It's always good to check up on your health. And this way you'll know if your weight is having an impact on your health or not.

It's not tiny though... you have nearly 20cm on me! I think 1,75 is quite average for men. And the fact that you have 20kg less than your weight is also a factor.

Tall enough I think, waist 30. 65-70 kg.

I should enter Miss World.

Op, I wouldn't worry. Everyone is different.

whats that in cm and kg? lol

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

May I ask how old you are?

Yes, get a full physical, blood work to check your iron and B12 levels as well.

Your Dr will let you know if you need to put on a few pounds.

MercuryMorrison1

According to the Internet BMI calculator. You pretty underweight. I agree that you should probably go the Dr and get checked out. He can tell you definitively if you need to put on a few pounds or not.

Being a thin as it sounds like you are though, can be damaging to your body in some cases more so than being overweight.