Losing Weight to Look Good

I know it's vain and you're supposed to want to lose weight to be healthy, and that is part of it, but for me, I'll be honest….I like looking good and being happy with what I see in the mirror!

My story in a nutshell…got divorced 4 years ago. Lost 20 pounds from stress through the divorce, not healthy, but silver lining…I ended up LOVING the way that I looked!

I loved the compliments. I loved shopping for clothes. I loved how clothes looked on me. I almost fell over when I was shopping in a store one day and the sales girl helping me said "You look like you need a size extra small." What?? I had never worn an extra small….but it fit.

I went on a bender. I bought so many new clothes and my BF bought me all sorts of expensive, designer label clothes that I love!

Now they all hang in my closet, sad and lonely because over the past 4 years I have gained back that 20 pounds, plus a few more for good measure! LOL

I went to a party a few months back. It happened to be an at-home clothes shopping party. Pretty stuff, but I hate how clothes look on me right now so I was hesitant to buy anything.

There was a girl there who had just had a tummy tuck because she had lost 150 pounds on Weight Watchers! She looked great! She was our model and tried on all the clothes for us. It was fun to see how happy she was. It inspired me to get my butt back in gear!

The next day I signed up for Weight Watchers online (which I have done a few times in the past so I am familiar with it), but over the past few months I only followed it half-heartedly at best.

This past week I decided that enough is enough and I started taking it very seriously. Logging everything I eat. Making better choices. Getting my exercise in on a regular basis and drinking plenty of water.

I am happy to report that I am down 3.5 pounds in the first week!

Right now I would classify myself as an average sized woman. But I'm not happy with average. I want to feel GOOD again. I want to wear all my clothes and I want to love what I see in the mirror and I will do it!!

• Like 4

No reason to let anyone or anything hold you back, OP. I imagine there are very few people who workout who don't do so at least in part to improve or maintain their physical appearance.

Consider the fact that you will be mentally and physically healthier to be icing on the cake. Except... except you can eat that frosting.

I like you showing that results are possible when you're willing to be serious and do the work that needs to be done. I always tell people to log their food and almost nobody bothers. It takes 5 minutes a day! If they won't do that then how are they going to put in an hour in the gym, or resist indulging in poor food choices?

Just a few words of encouragement, OP:

A friend's father lost 125lbs on Weight Watchers, despite quite a few factors working against him.

He had limited mobility.

His metabolism had slowed, being over 60 years old.

And his false starts were too numerous to count.

But he found the motivation and dilligently followed the plan.

You sound similarly motivated.

You have this in the bag!

• 3 weeks later...
MercuryMorrison1

When I was in my early 20's (Now 26) I was very overweight...I had gone from a slim/trim 180lbs to a doughy 250lbs, Mostly due to very little physical activity and very poor diet. And finally one day I just got sick of the way I looked, I hated looking at myself in the mirror, I felt weak,slow and lethargic and regularly had bad headache's and other minor ailments, I wore 2XL T-shirts simply to cover up my bloated body,

Then everything changed...I got mad at myself and started forcing myself to work out and I changed my diet drastically...And now I weigh 178lbs of mostly muscle and I can't imagine missing a day's workout. I'm now in better shape than I ever have been in my whole life...Even before I put on the weight, and I'll tell you this OP...Doing this, and knowing that I accomplished it all on my own, is the best feeling in the world. I promise that if you stick to it you will feel the same way.

My point is...So what if you workout because you want to look better...Anyone who tell's you that's vain of you is an idiot. Few things in this life beat a high self esteem!

Must say, I'm not that fussed on my health but definitely just want to look good. Sounds like you're doing great so far. I also lost weight after a breakup and have started putting it back on so i hope to follow suit.

most_distant_galaxy

Keep going! I also gained 20 pounds the last 3 years. Now I eat only healthy foods and exercise. I don't want to lose the weight too fast because I am concerned about loose skin (and this is also why I haven't cut off healthy fats).

Always remember to workout and get in shape for YOU and not for anyone else but YOU.

It does feel great to receive honest unobtrusive compliments about your looks. Don't go fishing for them as well.

I don't think wanting to look good is vain at all. Go for it OP! Never mind what every else thinks; if losing the weight will make you happier, then lose the weight.

Good luck!

Keep up the good work.I lost 30 lbs as well by counting calories. I use Myfitnesspal and its the same thing as weight watchers. The difference is this program is free and its calories in and calories out. weight watchers use the points systeem but they all work the same. Good luck on your weight loss journey