Time of day that we eat is just as important

For those who are serious about weight control the time of day of eating is just as important as what we eat. I think part of the reason I lost some weight was because I did cut out late night eating. I didn't really change much of what I ate but the time of day.

Most of us sleep at night I assume. Eating before bedtime means those calories do not get burned and stored as fat.

Therefore contrary to how well meaning our parents taught us it is much better to eat desserts at breakfast time instead of after dinner. Sometimes I eat ice cream for breakfast because I have all day to burn off the calories. My job has a moderate level of physical activity so I am moving around and lifting things alot.

Sweets are much better being eaten early in the day. Simple sugars consumed in moderation serve as instant energy. That's what our Military troops need in combat and that's why it is good to mail them candy and cookies when they are overseas.

• Like 1

Well, I still have a bad habit of eating sweets with some coffee before I go to bed (even when I come home late from work)...

Shoot, I usually have sweets with coffee twice a day...:eek:

But, I watch my portions...I'll cut a cupcake in half, split up a slice of cake into smaller portions....but, still will eat a full cupcake or doughnut ;)

I work out and try to watch my weight - but I'm not stopping having my sweets...:D

But yea, having an active lifestyle helps - like in the military - sometimes you are moving around so much that all the calories they make you eat just burns away and you go to bed hungry at times. Now as a civilian I try to continue to stay active by working out, landscaping, walking my doggies, etc.

Care packages - especially with home-made sweets - is nice to do for our service members, cuz you never know if they have access to those things where they're at and/or if they're allowed even the time to do go get it. Besides, aways nice to send them something to remind them of "home". :bunny:

• Like 1

No it does not matter when you eat.

The body burns calories just by existing. Just being alive burns calories.

You can't honestly think that if you have a healthy snack before bed, that it is just gonna turn into fat on your body just because you're not moving.

Losing weight means burning more calories than you consume. Doesn't matter WHEN you eat those calories.

• Like 3

Fitchick and Phoe are correct.

After 4 months of being under a nutritionist guide, there are certain foods that work better in my body . I disagree with Darren simply changing when he eats, it's what you eat primarily and how much. Personally more fluids (water) seem to be key in flushing out the system daily :)

• Like 3
No it does not matter when you eat.

The body burns calories just by existing. Just being alive burns calories.

You can't honestly think that if you have a healthy snack before bed, that it is just gonna turn into fat on your body just because you're not moving.

Losing weight means burning more calories than you consume. Doesn't matter WHEN you eat those calories.

I kinda like to tell myself I can eat whatever I want when I just get out the gym. Mostly for motivational purposes though ;)

• Like 1

I eat carb loaded foods before bed every night, and I've always been thin. If I don't eat before bed, I'll wake up hungry in the middle of the night.

I do think that sleep is important, though. People who sleep more may eat less simply because they are sleeping. On the other hand, people who stay up very late may tend to snack for energy or out of boredom (not hunger).

• Like 1

I agree with a few of the others that it makes no difference at all what time of day you eat something.

My weight always used to fluctuate and for about 15 years I was pretty much always on diets and eating 'light' or 'diet' products.

I quit it all about 11/12 years ago.

I was 3.5 stone overweight at the time but was fed up with seeming to be constantly craving things, feeling guilty an hungry or stuffed as I had cheated and over eaten! :laugh:

I quit all diet food and the diets and just ate normal food.

I lost all of the excess weight from October to March.

I have never since gained nor lost more than about 7lbs and I have very easily stayed at a healthy weight that is proportional to my height.

All I do now is eat only when I'm hungry, I stop eating when I feel full and I eat whatever I feel like at whatever time of day I want to.

If I really fancy a bar of chocolate and a pack of crisps then I have it and then if I am still hungry I will have a real food type snack. If I am not hungry after the choccie and crisps then I will eat hours later when I am hungry again.

Eating real and full fat food has pretty much stopped me eating in between meals though as I'm just not hungry enough and prefer to wait until I have a nice dinner.

I know a lady who pretty much only eats salads, loads of fruit and low fat yoghurts, she also drinks a half litre bottle of juice a day. She is also convinced that eating very little in the evenings works.

She is about 4st over weight and never loses weight andhasn't done in the six years I have known her.

I'm not sure if she is aware that fruit has natural sugars(which are great in moderation), nor that low fat yoghurts contain about the same amount of sugar as a can of coke, as does the amount of juice she drinks too.

Her sugar consumption is really high yet what she eats 'appears' healthy.

• Like 2

I thought eating later at night was supposed to adversely effect your growth hormone levels at night. Your body will expend energy while sleeping digesting your food instead of doing cellular renewal. For me I've noticed I will have a poorer night's sleep (also less quality dreams and no morning boner) if I eat late at night. To what degree it might impact GH release I'm not sure but that might over time play a part in putting on more weight than if the late night meal had been eaten earlier.

The GH factor is the only thing I can think that would impact otherwise really it should be a matter of calories consumed vs calories expended at the end of the day.

evanescentworld

I don't eat or take sugar in anything (adding it myself) but then, I'm not cursed with a sweet tooth.

However, I have found a neat psychological trick I used to play on myself, worked.

I convinced myself that when I brushed my teeth, I could not eat anything until the flavour and sensation of toothpaste/mouthwash had COMPLETELY left my mouth. No trace or hint of flavour or sensation.

That way, I neatly avoided snacking or nibbling on things "between meals".

(I brushed after lunch, too!)

And I ate sensibly.

Soaked Almonds, corn thins with Tahini, cottage cheese, olives....

I find flavour is essential. Something that tastes good, in the savoury sense, will make up for the fact that it may not be calorific.

So I make sure I dress a salad with good olive oil, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Simple, but flavoursome.

I also eat raw salmon (sashimi) with Moroccan preserved lemons, which is a flavour explosion to be experienced.

And I drink a pint of water with Apple cider vinegar, 3 times a day.

I lost 2 stone of unwanted weight that way.

I agree that the time of the day makes a difference for me as well. I try and eat bigger or heavier meals earlier in the day and have a light dinner early in the evening. I avoids carbs after 3pm.

I also get a way better sleep when I my stomach isn't full. I'd rather my body focus on other repairs while sleeping than processing a whole lot of food.

When i first got together with my partner and we were eating dinners quite late I put on a few kgs. I also don't wake up hungry after eating late so i'd often skip breakfast and wouldn't kick my metabolism into gear which is bad.

Since reverting to my older, better habits, the weight is coming off again.

• Like 1
I kinda like to tell myself I can eat whatever I want when I just get out the gym. Mostly for motivational purposes though ;)

Same here! Heck, I'll make a special trip to the gym if I know I'm going to be eating more*

• Like 2

I think this is the only case of 'when you are eating matters'. I was once told that whatever you eat is used by your muscles for recovery. But I didn't research it.

That being said, I have an issue with the whole 'losing weight is all about calories in VS calories out'.

If it was that simple, it wouldn't be so hard to lose weight. I also lost 15 pounds and a lot of inches when I was doing crossfit/weightlifting 3/4x a weeks and never cared for what I ate and regularly picked up mcDonalds or other fast food.

While I spent nearly 10 years trying to lose weight just by eating less calories and was never able to lose even 5 pounds...but to be honest, I never did the whole 800 calories a day crash diets either.

This leads me to believe that the workout factor is more important than the whole 'calories in VS calories out'...

But again - nothing I've researched...

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear
I think this is the only case of 'when you are eating matters'. I was once told that whatever you eat is used by your muscles for recovery. But I didn't research it.

That being said, I have an issue with the whole 'losing weight is all about calories in VS calories out'.

If it was that simple, it wouldn't be so hard to lose weight. I also lost 15 pounds and a lot of inches when I was doing crossfit/weightlifting 3/4x a weeks and never cared for what I ate and regularly picked up mcDonalds or other fast food.

While I spent nearly 10 years trying to lose weight just by eating less calories and was never able to lose even 5 pounds...but to be honest, I never did the whole 800 calories a day crash diets either.

This leads me to believe that the workout factor is more important than the whole 'calories in VS calories out'...

Absolutely!!!

Activity level is the most important thing!....Its the reason you see so many fat kids today and not so many in my time...We ate the same junk, but we did more....a lot more...so there wasnt the same problems...

I train very hard and have a physical profession..I eat practically all day and depending on what I have done that day, if I wake up at 2AM hungry, I eat pretty much what most people have for dinner...Never any adverse affects..Im almost 220 and never get above 13/14% bf...

It doesnt matter what the time is..in my opinion anyway...

TFY

People like to say that muscle burns more calories. I like to think of it as: muscle requires more food. We lose muscle naturally as we age, and need to be active to keep/build muscle. And that requires fuel.

So yes, be active and keep muscles strong. And feed that muscle.

• Like 2

Building muscle. It consumes calories at a fast rate, your metabolism goes up. When you just diet you lose muscle often more than fat. Your metabolism slows down and you plateau out. It's much better to exercise (not pure cardio!) than go on crash diets that destroy your muscles as they are expensive to run if your body has to worry about being starved.

I suppose it's fine to eat a healthy snack before going to bed but if you choose to eat a huge steak with potatoes then that's a totally different story.

• Like 1
I tend to eat after a full moon...

too soon for Halloween jokes?

There is never a bad timing for Halloween jokes...

:bunny:

I agree with a few of the others that it makes no difference at all what time of day you eat something.

My weight always used to fluctuate and for about 15 years I was pretty much always on diets and eating 'light' or 'diet' products.

I quit it all about 11/12 years ago.

I was 3.5 stone overweight at the time but was fed up with seeming to be constantly craving things, feeling guilty an hungry or stuffed as I had cheated and over eaten! :laugh:

I quit all diet food and the diets and just ate normal food.

I lost all of the excess weight from October to March.

I have never since gained nor lost more than about 7lbs and I have very easily stayed at a healthy weight that is proportional to my height.

All I do now is eat only when I'm hungry, I stop eating when I feel full and I eat whatever I feel like at whatever time of day I want to.

If I really fancy a bar of chocolate and a pack of crisps then I have it and then if I am still hungry I will have a real food type snack. If I am not hungry after the choccie and crisps then I will eat hours later when I am hungry again.

Eating real and full fat food has pretty much stopped me eating in between meals though as I'm just not hungry enough and prefer to wait until I have a nice dinner.

I know a lady who pretty much only eats salads, loads of fruit and low fat yoghurts, she also drinks a half litre bottle of juice a day. She is also convinced that eating very little in the evenings works.

She is about 4st over weight and never loses weight andhasn't done in the six years I have known her.

I'm not sure if she is aware that fruit has natural sugars(which are great in moderation), nor that low fat yoghurts contain about the same amount of sugar as a can of coke, as does the amount of juice she drinks too.

Her sugar consumption is really high yet what she eats 'appears' healthy.

Agreed, I see those people eating those diet foods and I've heard they are full of preservatives and sodium. Plus, the servings are soooo small. I couldn't live on that.

I don't believe in fad diets...Over the years, I just tried watching my portions, substituting (i.e. using Pam vs. butter or oil), I bake, broil - rather than fry stuff, etc.

I still have junk food too (i.e. pizza, burgers, wings), I just do it like once or "maybe" twice a week. I mean, I don't think you should just cut out fats all together from your diet.

• Like 1

I still have junk food too (i.e. pizza, burgers, wings), I just do it like once or "maybe" twice a week.

Ah, maybe that's my problem. When I read wings, I see chicken = healthy. Burgers = meaaaaaaaaat. And with pizza I see all major foodgroups on one delicious plate. Lots of vitamins and stuff :D

Junk food for Priv is deep fried stuff...

I should live in the US, I love the mentality. We don't have Taco Bell here.

Is this commercial for real or a spoof?!? This can't be real right?

Protein protein protein. I love protein. Protein rocks. Somebody get this man some protein! And the skinny kids with the wrap... Epic :D

Edited by Priv

I think it depends on your schedule. If you go to bed at 2am, not eating after 7 is not always reasonable.

• Like 1
I should live in the US, I love the mentality. We don't have Taco Bell here.
Is this commercial for real or a spoof?!? This can't be real right?

It seems to be real. However, I'd never heard of it until now, so it might be limited to test markets.

Taco Bell® | TACO BELL® PACKS PROTEIN WITH FLAVOR IN NEW POWER PLATFORM AND INNOVATES ITS BREAKFAST WITH GREEK YOGURT TEST

Agreed, I see those people eating those diet foods and I've heard they are full of preservatives and sodium. Plus, the servings are soooo small. I couldn't live on that.

I don't believe in fad diets...Over the years, I just tried watching my portions, substituting (i.e. using Pam vs. butter or oil), I bake, broil - rather than fry stuff, etc.

I still have junk food too (i.e. pizza, burgers, wings), I just do it like once or "maybe" twice a week. I mean, I don't think you should just cut out fats all together from your diet.

I agree this is all true. My weight has been up and down the past 66 years. Mostly because dietary changes were made when my lifestyle was constantly changing. I do believe that cooking regular food at home with regular exercise is the best way to keep weight off. Diets are only a temporary solution.