Beginner tips for gym? Tone up but not lose weight?

Hi everyone. I just got a gym membership, but this is the first time I have ever used a gym. I don't exercize regularly but I eat well and can run a 10 kilometre race.

I have a BMI of 22-23, I do not really need to lose any weight but I would like to tone up and go to the gym twice a week (using the gym or going to the classes there). Just because it's healthy.

Question:

What sort of exercices do you do to tone up but not lose weight? I would actually not like to lose too much weight because I am quite happy with my body and I would HATE to lose any of my boobage :) tips on that? Links to interesting websites with tips to tone up butt, arms, ...?

I am going to ask at the gym of course, but would love to hear your tips. I don't even know about cardio and things like that...

hello!

as you I use the gym to tone up and gain strength on my upper body as I dont need to lose any weight.

I dont know if you are familiar with Crossift but this is what i do at moment.

I do class of crossfit 4/5 days a week and i love it!

in terms of exercises we do lots ( and when i say lots i mean A LOT - like 45 minutes to 1 hour of intense work out ) of bar pull ups, press ups, mountain claiming, burpees, squats, kettlebell workout abs.

I have been doing it for a little more than a month and I already can see the difference in my body shape. not all the gym do this kind of work out though so you need to check with yours if they have these classes.

I highly recommend it ;)

• Author
hello!

as you I use the gym to tone up and gain strength on my upper body as I dont need to lose any weight.

I dont know if you are familiar with Crossift but this is what i do at moment.

I do class of crossfit 4/5 days a week and i love it!

in terms of exercises we do lots ( and when i say lots i mean A LOT - like 45 minutes to 1 hour of intense work out ) of bar pull ups, press ups, mountain claiming, burpees, squats, kettlebell workout abs.

I have been doing it for a little more than a month and I already can see the difference in my body shape. not all the gym do this kind of work out though so you need to check with yours if they have these classes.

I highly recommend it ;)

Thanks for your reply.

My gym does not have crossfit, but they have spinning, pilates, ab classes, bokwa, and something scary looking called 'insaneburner' ;)

I think I will like spinning the most, probably.

• Like 1

If you're already a runner, you probably won't lose weight. You will gain weight at first as you add muscle or you may stay the same weight, but shift your body composition as you get leaner. That little runner's pudge on your middle will shrink, your butt will firm, your arms and shoulders will shape up, and your chest will get firmer as you build your pecs underneath. You will be very delighted at what weights will do for you.

Don't be afraid to go heavy!

Personally I have used P90X for couple years now. Don't need a gym as you can do everything at home and stay in shape. I don't hit it as hard as I used to. In fact, I loaned the DVDs to a friend but I already have my workout routine down. It's about 1/2 hour a day, 5 days a week now.

Honestly nutrition and calories in vs calories out is what matters in regards to weight. Need to burn a little more calories than you take in to lose weight. To maintain, take in the same number of calories as you burn.

Simple formula. The people who cannot lose weight are those who still keep taking in far too many calories without doing enough exercise to offset the intake.

• Like 1

From my 15 years in and out of gyms and the fitness world:

1) Most of your results are determined outside of the gym. In a way, the gym is supplemental to a steady and nutritious diet and proper sleeper. Where are you at for those? I'll throw a mention in for stretching as well.

2) If you can afford it, get a certified trainer who can show you proper technique for basic exercises. Technique isn't so crucial for results as it is for preventing chronic or acute injury. Injuries are very common and most of them are entirely preventable by observing proper technique. Stretching is a big part of injury prevention.

3) Do what you enjoy. If your goal is basic health and you don't have much interest in modifying physique or "hitting" any particular muscle groups then try out different sports and activities. Give each one a go since there may be one in the whole mix that you don't yet know is a good fit. Swimming, racket sports, team sports, cycling, jogging, hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding, etc. You are far, far more likely to stick to a routine that you enjoy doing.

4) In chemistry there's the concept of "activation energy". It's the amount of energy that needs to be inputted to set off a chemical reaction. Exercise is very similar. There's a good amount of effort and will that needs to go into the initial weeks or months to get to the point where you crave exercise and look forward to it. Once you get there it is very rewarding. That being said, if your diet and sleep are poor, then you will find yourself deprived of the key reagents to a very wonderful chemical reaction ;)

• Like 1

You can run a 10k, but do you run 10k regularly? I'm assuming you run several times a week already. Your cardio is already taken care of then.

If you don't want to lose weight, then eat more! Simple.

Forget classes.

Therefore, you can round out your exercise week with resistance training 2x/week at the gym. You'll need to do a full body routine. Focus on strength, meaning heavy weights you can lift 6-8 times, 3 sets per exercise. If you can lift it 12 times then it's too light.

Standard exercises:

Squats

Deadlifts

Bench press

Shoulder press

Rows

Pull Downs

Plus a core routine that will hit: front abs, lower back (deadlift does a bit), both sides.

• Like 3
You can run a 10k, but do you run 10k regularly? I'm assuming you run several times a week already. Your cardio is already taken care of then.

Forget classes.

Therefore, you can round out your exercise week with resistance training 2x/week at the gym. You'll need to do a full body routine. Focus on strength, meaning heavy weights you can lift 6-8 times, 3 sets per exercise. If you can lift it 12 times then it's too light.

Standard exercises:

Squats

Deadlifts

Bench press

Shoulder press

Rows

Pull Downs

Plus a core routine that will hit: front abs, lower back (deadlift does a bit), both sides.

This is a good beginner program, I second this.

I also would like OP to expand more on what she means by saying she "eats well". What is your diet like?

I think for someone that has never done any weightraining, suggesting heavy lifting is a bit ambitious.

Don't know OP what you thought of the article I posted a link on but starting with circuit training and working your way towards weight lifting (after a good 6 months or so) is a good way to go.

• Like 1
  • Author

I eat well, to me, means: Almost exclusively vegetarian home cooked food with lots of vegetables and protein (lentils, eggs,...). No soda, lots of water and herbal tea. And some cookies every once in a while ;)

I am a runner who has trouble motivating herself. I usually to run twice a week and train for a race. After the race I lose my motivation and just stop running until I have another race planned (sometimes up to a couple of months without running).

Basically I just have a good body weight because I'm on my bike at least half an hour a day (my main mode of transport) and because I eat well. I just want to be healthier and stronger.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I will definitely try the strength exercises, and ask more advice at the gym because I haven't done those ever before.

I eat well, to me, means: Almost exclusively vegetarian home cooked food with lots of vegetables and protein (lentils, eggs,...). No soda, lots of water and herbal tea. And some cookies every once in a while ;)

I am a runner who has trouble motivating herself. I usually to run twice a week and train for a race. After the race I lose my motivation and just stop running until I have another race planned (sometimes up to a couple of months without running).

Basically I just have a good body weight because I'm on my bike at least half an hour a day (my main mode of transport) and because I eat well. I just want to be healthier and stronger.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I will definitely try the strength exercises, and ask more advice at the gym because I haven't done those ever before.

If you don't want to lose weight but change your body composition, you will need to weight train and significantly up your protein intake.

You do love that article don't you? ;)

There is a follow up posted last week:

T Nation | Redefining The Female Bodybuilder

Yes I do. It explains on very clear terms what works and what doesn't and why 90% of women in commercial gyms don't benefit from their gym visits.

Have to say I can't stand bodybuilding as such. I recognise that of course when you lift and you care about a balanced physique, you take it into account but focus on bodybuilding is about pure vanity and that doesn't appeal at all. I don't find any of the women in that article attractive, low body fat % and they age badly, in my opinion.

Yes I do. It explains on very clear terms what works and what doesn't and why 90% of women in commercial gyms don't benefit from their gym visits.

Have to say I can't stand bodybuilding as such. I recognise that of course when you lift and you care about a balanced physique, you take it into account but focus on bodybuilding is about pure vanity and that doesn't appeal at all. I don't find any of the women in that article attractive, low body fat % and they age badly, in my opinion.

Ah, now I feel bad for linking that article for you :p

True, though I do think that the women aging badly (not quite there yet, so have no eyes for that) has more to do with suntanning than their lifting regimen.

And yes, I do weightlifting not bodybuilding so I know where you are coming from. But with that I must say it has definitely not helped my physique in the last 2 years or so because a balanced physique/body fat% and stuff was/is not on my radar. Hence the reversed beer gut :p (read = upper gut way larger than lower gut + smaller arms than BB and fairly normal human lats + but I do have an ass and erector spinae so I liken myself to something from Jurassic Park :D)

• Like 1

And yes, I do weightlifting not bodybuilding so I know where you are coming from. But with that I must say it has definitely not helped my physique in the last 2 years or so because a balanced physique/body fat% and stuff was/is not on my radar. Hence the reversed beer gut :p (read = upper gut way larger than lower gut + smaller arms than BB and fairly normal human lats + but I do have an ass and erector spinae so I liken myself to something from Jurassic Park :D)

It's taken me about 6 months to correct the imbalance once I fully realised how to shift training. Some time passed until then but the last 6 months have been good and another 6 months of the same will do good. I have a lot to thank powerlifting for.

• 4 weeks later...

Kickboxing helped me a great deal! I was really thin a year ago and started training in muay thai regularly. Its all round workout, so lots of squats, press ups, planks, knees, kicks, punches, elbows, I found parts of my body I didnt know exist!

I'm still slim but have made gains on my arms, back and legs, without doing weights or changing my diet dramatically (I eat breakfast now whereas used to just eat two large meals a day). If you want to be toned, for me this has worked great because I never wanted to get "big" just fitter.

Its explosive workout, very high intensity so you give your body a real shock. Great thing is you can just do the fitness......or actually learn about the sport. For me I enjoyed the fitness so much I worked my way up to sparring.

Im not sure what your personalities like. For me though I get bored running, and doing weights or swimming loads so its really really suited me, because its a wide variety of exercises without needing much equipment at all!

• 4 weeks later...
MercuryMorrison1

Like Caliguy I use P90x as well, It works wonders, I've done multiple runs of it and it really is like having a Gym at home...You do need some equipment but not a lot, for example, I have...Dumbells (Of various weights) and Bands (Also of various weights).

The Programs a mix of Strength Training and Cardio, Essentially you build muscle and burn fat, pretty simple really. You won't become a hulking mass of muscle doing P90x, but seeing as you're a woman I doubt that's your goal anyway.

P90x is about toning mostly, and weight loss as well, but that heavily depends on your personal diet.

If you want to tone up? High reps very low weight, minimum three sets.

Think 15 - 20 reps, 5 - 7 sets and don't cheat the motions.

If you want to bulk up, do the opposite. Low reps, high mass, 2 - 3 sets.

Forget classes.

Standard exercises:

Squats

Deadlifts

Bench press

Shoulder press

Rows

Pull Downs

I wouldn't say these are beginner exercises, but rather core exercises everyone should do. Mastering these go a long way, and will make it worth your time. Compound exercises ftw.