Hello everyone, I have a mole on my upper ??? which is quite big and blackish. It makes my whole face look ugly and I want to remove it. I have tried several home made remedies like using apple cider vinegar, iodine and even garlic. None of them worked. So now I have decided to get it removed through cosmetic procedure. But I am little nervous as it is the first time I am going under knife. I don’t have any idea about preparing for such a surgery. So do you guys have any advice to share with me? Thanks in advance.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed commercial URL

I assume you have settled on a Cosmetic Surgeon because you are concerned about how it will look post-surgery? Not a bad option, but have you seen a dermatologist to get it diagnosed? The results of that consultation (which may include a biopsy) may help guide you toward the next steps.

As far as the surgery itself, and "going under the knife", this is technically surgery from a medical point of view, but it's not the surgery you see on TV where a patient is wheeled into an operating room and put to sleep with a team of 4 or 5 people working on her. Both moles and lesions (generally larger, more complex structures) are usually removed with just local anesthesia: a few pokes with a small needle that effectively numbs the area, a few minutes to let that take full effect, and then you just lie still and relax while they do the procedure.

Most importantly, you should be asking these questions - what happens? what can I expect? - of your doctor. No matter what path you choose, you will certainly have an initial consultation, and this is the time to ask these questions.

(And the mole is on your upper... what? "Lip"? Or somewhere else? Wondering why you couldn't say the word.)

Having a mole removed is a relatively uncomplicated procedure Molly.

They just freeze the area then excise the mole.

It's almost exclusively performed by cosmetic surgeons because they have expertise in making small incisions as to leave minimal scarring.

Honestly its really nothing for you to be nervous about :)

I had a mole cut out but not cosmetic reasons. It was done under local anesthetic and took under an hour in the back of a doctors office. Its hurt ja little but more psychological as I could feel the scapel & stitching. I didn't prepare for it in anyway.

I've also faded/reduced a mole using ozonated oil, which was pretty neat, though I'm not going to claim it as a sure fire solution for everyone. I personally don't find moles all that unattractive on women, unless its big & raised and always obvious...like distracting. The cindy crawford mole = no big deal for me.

@Trimmer: a plastic surgeon will simply excise it and send it off for biopsy. No need for a dermatologist on top of it. If they need to go back for margins later, they can, in the event it's something more than just a mole.

Good luck, Molly. It's a simple procedure, no preparation involved. If you want to take a mild sedative before hand, make sure you have someone drive you.

• Like 1
Hello everyone, I have a mole on my upper ??? which is quite big and blackish. It makes my whole face look ugly and I want to remove it. I have tried several home made remedies like using apple cider vinegar, iodine and even garlic. None of them worked. So now I have decided to get it removed through cosmetic procedure. But I am little nervous as it is the first time I am going under knife. I don’t have any idea about preparing for such a surgery. So do you guys have any advice to share with me? Thanks in advance.

Please speak to your family Dr or dermatologist before doing this surgery. And make sure the person doing the surgery is highly recommended and has the experience.

All the questions you are wondering about the Dr can answer.

• Like 2

I would be less of the results of having it removed surgically VS burning at it with apple Cider Vinegar (or any other 'home remedy' out there)

Especially on my face...

• 1 month later...
Hope Shimmers

Dermatologists and even GPs remove moles every day. However, since it's on your face (I'm assuming?) this is a completely different story.

Go to a certified plastic surgeon (NOT a dermatologist). It's not a difficult procedure but if it's on your face you want someone with more surgical finesse and training.

As for diagnosing cancer, it will get sent off and biopsied either way - plus, cancerous moles frequently look very different visually than benign ones.

• Like 1
Dermatologists and even GPs remove moles every day. However, since it's on your face (I'm assuming?) this is a completely different story.

Go to a certified plastic surgeon (NOT a dermatologist). It's not a difficult procedure but if it's on your face you want someone with more surgical finesse and training.

As for diagnosing cancer, it will get sent off and biopsied either way - plus, cancerous moles frequently look very different visually than benign ones.

Great minds!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah if its on your face go to a surgeon, not a dermatologist. i just had 2 ingrown hairs that turned into a cyst near neck and jawline that had to be removed and since it is on your face you will more than likely be put under anesthesia in a surgery center. there are fine nerves running around your face, if someone is inexperienced working near and finding those nerves you can end up with damaged nerves, and as my doc said it.. "similiar to stroke face"