Just for the sake of curiosity - what is your take on women who do weightlifting?

Not your standard 3X12 reps weights in a gym.... Actual heavy olympic type weightlifting...

todreaminblue

if a woman is strong and can lift heavy weight....it does not make her less of a woman...definitely means that she doesn't need as much help moving the fridge or the tv stand.....deb

• Author
Honestly, I don't like a lot of muscle definition on women.

I prefer toned.

toned = muscle definition...no?

You can hardly have one without the other...

• Like 1

If a woman wants to lift and get big, let her. Who's concern is it anyway...They enjoy it, that's enough!

• Like 2
todreaminblue
This is beyond toned.

Too much.

As for the fact that she lifts. The first thing that came to my mind of a woman who lifts was what her body would be like.

The very thought of a woman lifting to get big just doesn't work for me. I also wonder why she even wants to do it.

that is an awesome body somedude.....fit and athletic i have seen bigger women than this who lift weights......like this

http://www.gaiahealthblog.com/wordpress1/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/59635_425658570822041_1340152117_n.jpg

• Like 2
that is an awesome body somedude.....fit and athletic i have seen bigger women than this who lift weights......like this

http://www.gaiahealthblog.com/wordpress1/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/59635_425658570822041_1340152117_n.jpg

Wow.

In my opinion that if far too much.

Sure she has every right to get as big as she wants, and she obviously put in a ton of effort.

But at the very end, I just don't think it's attractive or feminine.

todreaminblue
Wow.

In my opinion that if far too much.

Sure she has every right to get as big as she wants, and she obviously put in a ton of effort.

But at the very end, I just don't think it's attractive or feminine.

while training the muscles and veins pop.....but if that woman were wearing a nice dress and heels somedude you would just see a fit athletic woman...but you have every right to be attracted to whatever you are attracted too...do you see them beautiful though....fine forms somedude.....beautiful lines ....look at the curves and the def....thats art....many many hours of art........deb

• Like 1
Just for the sake of curiosity - what is your take on women who do weightlifting?

In a word?

"Impressive" :cool:

An ex-bf was a hockey player. He was a big kid.

I went to Ohio and met the family, including his sister who was a high school power lifter and in training to make the Olympic team.

I always finagled my way into sitting next to her at dinner, so I could watch her forearms flex while she handled cutlery. :)

She was big (naturally AND from weights) but still retained her femininity.

Edited by cerridwen
  • Like 3
  • Author
while training the muscles and veins pop.....but if that woman were wearing a nice dress and heels somedude you would just see a fit athletic woman...but you have every right to be attracted to whatever you are attracted too...do you see them beautiful though....fine forms somedude.....beautiful lines ....look at the curves and the def....thats art....many many hours of art........deb

Come on now. Somedude has a right to his opinion.

So basically a woman with muscle definition doesn't look feminine...a man with no muscle definition doesn't look masculine.

Wanna hit the gym Somedude? (I tease, I tease!)

Great article. I personally don't lift as it is doesn't add anything to performance in my chosen sport and means I can't walk for days.

But I think women who lift are awesome. What I don't understand is how "high weight low rep" gained so much traction but in reality you are better to lift heavy to get lean - but that doesn't seem to gain traction at all.

What i like about the article is that it is true, it is SO hard for women to "bulk up" and anyone who manages to knows how much work it involved.

But I like anything that gets people moving and focusing on their wellbeing.

And here is a video of anna meares, who a lot of people call fat and a 1m box jump in preparation for the London Games

I think she is amazing.

• Like 1
  • Author
that article was a joy to read, so succinct.....thanks for posting maleficent.....deb

My pleasure! I started lifting not too long ago and while it opinions like this donMt really bother me, I still find it sad that a woman who lifts is still defined on her body.

I mean. I could probably squat with Somedude on my shoulders - but whatever - as long as my body still pleases his retina.

• Like 2
  • Author
Great article. I personally don't lift as it is doesn't add anything to performance in my chosen sport and means I can't walk for days.

But I think women who lift are awesome. What I don't understand is how "high weight low rep" gained so much traction but in reality you are better to lift heavy to get lean - but that doesn't seem to gain traction at all.

What i like about the article is that it is true, it is SO hard for women to "bulk up" and anyone who manages to knows how much work it involved.

But I like anything that gets people moving and focusing on their wellbeing.

And here is a video of anna meares, who a lot of people call fat and a 1m box jump in preparation for the London Games

I think she is amazing.

can you clarify the bolded part?

Though, personally, lifting has affected my performance in my sport (roller derby) greatly!

I am much more stable than I used to be and hit a lot harder...

I also find it pretty darn awesome to be able to push 125 lbs above my head lol

Come on now. Somedude has a right to his opinion.

So basically a woman with muscle definition doesn't look feminine...a man with no muscle definition doesn't look masculine.

Wanna hit the gym Somedude? (I tease, I tease!)

In my opinion, a woman with muscle past a certain threshold starts to look less feminine.

And yes, men with very little muscle can look less masculine. That's not my problem as I do lift, even though I'm not as developed as I'd like to be.

BTW, when you ask for people's opinion, it's not very cool to make fun of them for it.

If you don't care what other people think, then just make a thread saying, "I lift. And I don't give a damn what you say."

• Author
In my opinion, a woman with muscle past a certain threshold starts to look less feminine.

And yes, men with very little muscle can look less masculine. That's not my problem as I do lift, even though I'm not as developed as I'd like to be.

BTW, when you ask for people's opinion, it's not very cool to make fun of them for it.

If you don't care what other people think, then just make a thread saying, "I lift. And I don't give a damn what you say."

I ask for people's opinion but this is a discussion. If you don't want your opinion discussed, don't post it.

todreaminblue
My pleasure! I started lifting not too long ago and while it opinions like this donMt really bother me, I still find it sad that a woman who lifts is still defined on her body.

I mean. I could probably squat with Somedude on my shoulders - but whatever - as long as my body still pleases his retina.

when i was younger i stopped lifting and rowing the same time i got called a man from the back......but today.......i have no hesitation in going back to lifting...i dont care for the guy's who dont like it thats their choice...but for em its better i be fit and active....ill live longer...........its becoming more appreciated maleficent...that women are fit and healthy......and strong...my ex was a bodybuilder he had massive arms so when i trained i was never bigger than him........he had biceps the same size as arnolds......he liked it when i got my muscle def.....he was a trojan training...still is...i just have to find a guy i guess who likes me for me and not my muscle mass.......i really would like to train again......lose some weight get fit......i have started the healthy eating......ill get there......deb

• Like 1
can you clarify the bolded part?

Though, personally, lifting has affected my performance in my sport (roller derby) greatly!

I am much more stable than I used to be and hit a lot harder...

I also find it pretty darn awesome to be able to push 125 lbs above my head lol

Sure thing, I hear many women avoiding lifting heavy weights because they fear getting bulky. So they stick to high rep, light hand weights or pin loaded machines. When the real gains with weight training come with heavy free weights. Women shouldn't fear the squat rack! But the mantra of don't lift heavy! men won't like your massive thighs! Seems to prevail.

I don't think I can even do a push up on my toes so 60kgs is impressive!

My sport (road cycling) is endurance based but I need to find a bit more punch in the sprint so will probably head to the gym or the velodrome in the off season. I have an enduro build and find it really hard to develop that explosive kick, its just my body type.

• Like 2
I ask for people's opinion but this is a discussion. If you don't want your opinion discussed, don't post it.

That's what you think a discussion is?

Obviously you only want people to post here who agree with you.

Enjoy your thread.

todreaminblue

Enjoy your thread.

no you have a right to what you like some dude and what you dont....everyone does......deb

• Like 1
  • Author

Enjoy your thread.

Yes that is because I totally bashed you for having this opinion. Oh wait. i didn't.

Lighten up. Besides, if I didn't discuss with you and only with people who agree with me, you'd still be saying I only want people who agree with me to post here.

What did you think? That your opinion would make me change my mind? You've made your opinion pretty clear. It's all about how the woman looks. I'm not gonna agree with you.

I think it's sort of attractive in a weird way, depends on the person (height, proportions and age), but if they overdo it, it can be repulsive.