Coconut Oil - Is It Worth It?

The Like Fairy

So I bought some organic Coconut Oil, and the bottle recommends working up to 4 tablespoons a day. That seems like a lot. Has Coconut Oil helped anyone here with any issues they were having? I bought mine mainly because I know it's really popular right now for good health. Plus I read it helps get rid of worms/parasites, should you have any. And apparently, according to some websites, we all have parasites, but may not know it......

Never heard about the parasite thing...:sick:.

I love coconut oil. I use it for oil pulling in the morning and at night. But I don't eat it by the tablespooon. I use it for cooking pancakes though :love:.

• Like 3
  • Author
The Like Fairy

I love coconut oil. I use it for oil pulling in the morning and at night. But I don't eat it by the tablespooon. I use it for cooking pancakes though :love:.

It does smell divine, doesn't it? I will have to try it for the pancakes, that sounds great :)

What is the oil pulling you mentioned? I've vaguely heard of this.

The reason I am eating it by the spoonful, is that they say you can do that without a problem (eat by the spoonful), and/or use it in cooking/recipes.

I should add, the coconut oil I bought, is not really liquefied, it looks like lard in a jar, but it's getting liquid around the edges. It say on the jar that it liquefies at 76 degrees, which is right around my indoor house temperature.

Yeah, you got the good stuff if it's solid below a certain temperature.

Oil pulling is an ancient practice. Google it. You'll find a wealth of knowledge. Basically it cleanses the toxins out of your body. And it can improve a host of ailments. Different oils do different things.

• Like 2

I love it!!!

Oil pulling

Moisturizer

Baking

Roasting veggies

Body lotion.

Conditioner

Whipped as a Honeybutter for pancakes, toast.

I have a friend that scoops it into her coffee.

• Like 4

I love it, and do take it off the spoon when I'm unable to keep anything down, or to chase off a fever/cold symptoms. I brushed my teeth with it earlier on, and should start using it on my skin again, but I can't afford to use it for all of that, all the time.

Shredded coconut is supposed to be better for parasite cleanses. You can cook it like oatmeal, add a bit of low-sugar fruit (I use mango), but I haven't done a proper cleanse.

• Like 2
Snakechammah

I use it mostly for hair growth. Rub into scalp for thicker, luscious hair, and once a week on my brows too so I'll have thicker brows to shape with.

I don't consume it though... does it taste good?

• Like 2

Never heard of it, and if its a fad I'd be doubly weary.

If its gently introduced into the diet then I can see its benefits.

Enzymes, parasites and micro organisms are necessary in the digestive tract. Some actually break down substance and remove it quicker or more efficiently.

If it works for you and you find it rejuvenating your system proper, then continue. I'd be curious how it affacts the arteries...

• Like 1
So I bought some organic Coconut Oil, and the bottle recommends working up to 4 tablespoons a day. That seems like a lot. Has Coconut Oil helped anyone here with any issues they were having? I bought mine mainly because I know it's really popular right now for good health. Plus I read it helps get rid of worms/parasites, should you have any. And apparently, according to some websites, we all have parasites, but may not know it......

I'm big on organic beauty. Here's a list of must haves:

Coconut Oil (Hair Conditioner and Skin Moisturizer)

Avocado Oil (Skin Moisturizer and Helps heal Cuts)

Olive Oil (Hair Conditioner, Skin Moisturizer and Furniture Polish)

Sunflower Seed Oil (Combine in your hands with Dr. Bronner's Organic Castile Liquid Soap in Lavender for the BEST skin cleanser ever created)

Vegetable Glycerine (Skin Moisturizer and Nail Strengthener)

GorillaTheater

I don't know about taking it by the tablespoon, but it's the best dang lubricant on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 5

In my opinion, anything is good as long as it is in moderation! I believe every food product has its good and bad sides, so too much of anything is not always beneficial.

I have some on hand that I use for banking and as a replacement for butter sometimes. It really works as a "butter" on pancakes as well. :)

Clearly the people here love it, but I think it's overrated. It's just fat. Would you eat butter by the spoonful?

• Like 1
Clearly the people here love it, but I think it's overrated. It's just fat. Would you eat butter by the spoonful?

It's fat that helps the immune system.

I don't take it by the tablespoon, unless I'm trying to rid myself of the beginning symptoms of a cold, or lower a fever. I haven't experienced weight loss, but when I remember to take it, it helps with my mood and energy levels.

Nutiva brand tastes like coconut when I brush with it, but not when I eat it off the spoon, and swallow it quickly. I'm not always keen on the smell of it when it's in a frying pan, or of using it on my whole body (I like that squeaky clean feeling that's bad for the skin, but its also nice to see and feel how soft it makes it).

• Like 1

Challenge accepted! ;)

I need to try some coconut oil on my crazy hair.

I love the stuff!

It staves off colds.

It's great for my skin.

It's great as an overnight conditioner for my hair.

It's great for my teeth and gums.

It's the best thing to take off eye makeup.

It's not a fad and has been used for thousands of years!

ETA: I use it on my nails too!

• Like 1

I ate a spoonful once, it was not fun.

Its alright on toast or in a hot chocolate, actually quite nicely compliments it.

As for benefits? Psh.

I know this thread is Coconut oil specific, although I'd like to add Coconut anything is very good

I have a jar of it in my fridge but I can't even remember what I bought it for....

Maybe I'll start using it before I go to the beach and does anybody know will I end up like Kramer?

regine_phalange

Oil pulling is awesome for teeth! And indeed coconut oil is the best oil because of the flavor. Sometimes I use sunflower oil too.