What's the most weight you've lost in a month? Gained?

Miss Awesome

Yeah, I know rapid weight loss/gain is not healthy, but sometimes it happens. What's your experience with it?

• Like 1

I was really sick last year in June. I am not sure if the weight loss is valid, but I do very much believe my weight gain was kick ass!

I actually almost died from this, and lost 21 lbs, after being in the hospital for 14 days and in an induced coma, on a ventilator for the first 6 days.

I went from 130 to 109 in less than 2 weeks. I was skin and bones. I am naturally very muscular and have very little body fat, especially for a female. 15% is about what I would max out at even weighing 130. NO FAT! Lol. I didnt have the weight to lose. I was very weak, moved very slowly, and my muscles were just exhausted from me being in a coma for a week. I was also in so much pain from all the testing they had done, like a spinal tap... those hurt a few days later when you have been laying on your spine for days on end!

I came out of the hospital and was still very sick and very weak for a few days, had pains everywhere, a lot of nerve problems I still suffer from on the front of my thighs, my hips, a large circle of skin over my sacrum, and in my feet from bedsores on my sacrum. My problems are ongoing. However, I did manage to put my weight back on almost as quickly.

I was back up 15 lbs in 2 weeks, and was back to my 130 within 2 months. I certainly plateaued trying to get back to 130. I did hit 130 again though!!! It has been a struggle to get there and stay there. 125lbs is about what my body seems to love in the summer and 130 in the winter. If I can manage that, I am a happy girl.

I have trouble keeping weight on, not taking it off. It has always been a struggle to gain weight, without gaining too much muscle and decreasing body fat percentage too much.

• Like 1

Just a guess, 10 pounds up or down max...maybe... but that's not much on my frame.

• Like 1

I lost 8kg in 2 weeks on holiday, a couple of days before I developed a stomach problem where I just couldn't eat very much or I'd get a lot of discomfort.

It was horrible because I was in an all-inclusive hotel where I couldn't eat anything! I wasn't exercising regularly then but I wasn't overweight, after I came back, my friends commented on how much thinner I looked!

I ended up putting the weight back on in about a month or two when I went back to university, the stomach problem went away on its own, it was strange.

Ninjainpajamas

Not a big fan of fad diets at all, but a friend of mine convinced me to try the "maple syrup diet" or it was something like that, where you only drink maple syrup, and drink water and i don't remember what else.

Well I wasn't ever convinced, i kinda b**ched the entire time saying how ridiculous it was to do something so drastic and it couldn't possibly make sense or be good for you, but she really wanted me to try it so I did it anyway. I was worried about my health, but I stayed on it for about a week instead of the two weeks she wanted as a compromise. I don't know how much weight I lost but I think it was about 10 pounds, I had gained some weight as I had an injury that kept me from moving around much and started eating badly as I was sitting around all day...but I did want to "test" out my body since I was doing this, I was able to make a decent hike up a hill using a bicycle although my injury bothered me. I wanted to see if my body would shut down, it didn't even in the hot California sun.

After about 3 or 4 days I wasn't even hungry, which was quite weird, I was actually feeling "ok", felt like I had energy. I felt the sugar from the maple syrup was keeping my mind in tact, but as for everything else my body was doing without I didn't want to do it for too long.

I will probably never do the diet again, but I learned that fasting might actually be somewhat useful although I don't believe in cleansing and stuff like that...I was surprised how my body dealt with hunger after it realized it wasn't going to eat, and then when I started eating again I got full much easier...so because I didn't want to waste this as just a fad diet I kept on going on my own and lost another 10 pounds or so the "normal" way. So for me it did kick start the diet.

What bothers me about people is they only want to lose the weight for a short period of time like for a wedding or what not, they don't actually want to live or eat differently or do something that will last, so they go back and gain the weight if not even more after the fad diet...and I think that's a really f**ked up way to treat your body personally, I don't know how people see their body as this separate thing or enemy, like it's some kind of separate entity working against them, it's only doing what you're telling it to do for the most part...and after all you've been through together it still fights for you after all the criticism, but then some people continue to blame their bodies not themselves for what happens to it or because you don't have a super high metabolism that allows you to eat like a cow, it's a real shame. It makes as much sense as me blaming my car for breaking down all the time when I never take care of it, I just expect it to run and do all these things I want it to without giving it any help to do that whatsoever.

• Like 1
leavesonautumn

I lost 15 pounds in a month. I went from 130 to 115 and it certainly wasn't my intention.

After the first break up with my ex I didn't have a job around this particular time. I couldn't eat anything except for eggs and I'd walk around for hours at a time. I was in a haze. Didn't even see any friends or family.

The good news was that eventually I snapped out of it and gained it back and more quite quickly.

GorillaTheater

Outside of a couple of pretty serious illnesses, never more than five pounds either way in a month.

tried packing on muscle and could only do 2lbs a month

keeping same BMI

2lb a month of muscle is great. I'm up 12lbs in 8 months, and that's been damn hard work.

Most lost was 45 lbs ( but that was due to giving birth ;)

Lost 20lbs though in seven weeks when I was majorly stressed and dealing with a family loss.

I really do think age and slowing of metabolism is creating this change and forcing the issue to resolve it now with healthy changes...and long term health regime

Outside of preganancy...perhaps 2 lbs over the last 35 years. At 5'4 always been between 116 and 120. Usually 118 as I am now.

Adults over 25 or so should not have fluctuation in weight. Weight fluctuation Is one of the first things we ask patients.

I lost 25 lbs in one month when I was getting divorced- 50 lbs in total over the span of 4 months. I went from 155 lbs down to 105 lbs. It stayed off for years. The heart break and the stress took a toll on me- I couldn't eat. I literally went days without eating, I had absolutely no appetite. I finally started forcing boost drinks into me in order to stop the rapid weight loss. I survived mostly on diet pepsi, a banana or two a day and adrenaline for a long time. I don't recommend the divorce diet:sick:

• Like 2

had severe food poisoning and lost about 4-5 pounds in one week. horrible. with true food poisoning you can't even keep water down for days, it's awful.

Bruce Leigh

Seriously, ppl, count ur blessings.

My mate in work lost 24lbs in one week.

One month later he died of cancer.

Don't mean to be a downer on things but ffs ppl, keep things in perspective.

Be thankful of what we have, not what we may lose.

• Like 2
Outside of preganancy...perhaps 2 lbs over the last 35 years. At 5'4 always been between 116 and 120. Usually 118 as I am now.

Adults over 25 or so should not have fluctuation in weight. Weight fluctuation Is one of the first things we ask patients.

Care to expand on this "should not fluctuate in weight" criterea? Based on age? Seems that in this era of wiser eating regimes the medical profession would endorse a patient in fluctuating to a healthy weight level. Just curious what parameters would make this a red flag?

had severe food poisoning and lost about 4-5 pounds in one week. horrible. with true food poisoning you can't even keep water down for days, it's awful.

True. However, if you are a healthy weight before your unfortunate ordeal, you should regain it within a week. Any weight loss is usual water...in the form of liquids coming out of all orifices.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
The Like Fairy

Going by recollection I once lost like 10-15 pounds in 10-14 days, I just stopped eating to see what would happen. I did eat one apple along the way and I drank lots of water. So that was pretty much fasting I guess.

Another time I lost 20-25 pounds in about 6 weeks (maybe only a month). That was more like very aggressive dieting and heavy exercising.

I recently lost 7 pounds in about 10 days. It's mostly water weight though I think.

Really, the best weight loss strategy for me is a pound a week for the long term. I don't like being hungry, and losing 2 pounds a week is even a bit much in my opinion.

Short term 'crash' diets, like for a wedding or reunion, are a different story though. They are crazy and meant to be, but only for short term. I don't like crash diets anymore, but they were so popular in my 20's for everyone (mostly the partiers who put on some weight from too much drinking and eating at restaurants etc)

Edited by The Like Fairy
  • 3 weeks later...

2 stone when i was dumped, over a relatively short space of time. Went from 11 stone to 9 stone. I looked a mess and not sexy. Sexy now though.

• Like 3