We can all be ripped Supermodels.

georgejungle

I'm sort of joking but kind of serious.

Had this discussion with my co-worker who is a petite 5'5" gal and is always talking about how she could never be super thin or super "ripped" like Sports Illustrated Swimsuit girls because that's just not how her body was made; so she tends to complain about it, "why do I even try" kind of attitude yet she's not overweight, she looks great. I've told her not to shoot for that magazine ideal because those people can exercise and probably are on strict diets and it's a sham anyway

Me, I've never been super defined in the ab area, but have tried throughout my adult life. I'm slim in that area now, but not completely "Abs blazing" or really "cut" as they say. I'm sure I could be but the thing we see on Magazine Covers is maybe some airbrushing but a lot of sacrifice at the dinner table and constant toning and exercise, not just a jog and some crunches a day, I'm talking total exercise program.

I know we can't really "sculpt" our bodies to exactly the way we want them (naturally that is ) but we can get in the ballpark, don't you agree?

Edited by georgejungle
I'm sort of joking but kind of serious.

Had this discussion with my co-worker who is a petite 5'5" gal and is always talking about how she could never be super thin or super "ripped" like Sports Illustrated Swimsuit girls because that's just not how her body was made; so she tends to complain about it, "why do I even try" kind of attitude yet she's not overweight, she looks great. I've told her not to shoot for that magazine ideal because those people can exercise and probably are on strict diets and it's a sham anyway

Me, I've never been super defined in the ab area, but have tried throughout my adult life. I'm slim in that area now, but not completely "Abs blazing" or really "cut" as they say. I'm sure I could be but the thing we see on Magazine Covers is maybe some airbrushing but a lot of sacrifice at the dinner table and constant toning and exercise, not just a jog and some crunches a day, I'm talking total exercise program.

I know we can't really "sculpt" our bodies to exactly the way we want them (naturally that is ) but we can get in the ballpark, don't you agree?

I wouldn't want to be a super model. I would rather be big and powerful. Some guys train to be pretty, I train to be the strongest man. Then again, I'm already pretty

• Like 5
Under The Radar
I wouldn't want to be a super model. I would rather be big and powerful. Some guys train to be pretty, I train to be the strongest man. Then again, I'm already pretty

Make sure you get a mani and a pedi this week ...... we want you to be extra pretty ;)

• Like 1
deathandtaxes

Being 'ripped' or 'abs blazing' or 'cut' just takes a lot more time than I want to devote to exercise. And I like food and beer too much. You have to get rid of a lot of body fat to get that cut, and that's just not what I am for in my fitness. I like my weights, my yoga, my dancing classes. To each their own, but 'ripped' is not my goal. A healthy living existence is.

• Like 1
Ninjainpajamas

How she feels about herself has nothing to do with how she looks first of all (which you probably already kind of know and are just talking about physique) but unfortunately her perception of herself likely changes little.

I think we're all capable of a lot, people just make a lot of excuses and discourage themselves because they fear failing. When in reality you should do the best you can and see where it takes you, but there's a lot of self-doubt involved, and plus, there's a lot of work and motivation it takes not to just hit the gym, but to maintain that strict diet, most people consider that an non-negotiable situation...they feel food is too big apart of their lives, which is understandable, it's hard to be strict on your diet.

But knowing that myself, I know I won't ever reach my goals without a good diet. I've already lifted plenty in a gym to know that lifting won't give you results, I never got huge or bulky as a teenager lifting more than most grown men will ever lift in a weight room, didn't change as I got older, I got bigger because I got older and became a man, my body has changed through the years but I've never got the diet down.

So if you want to get that super model body, it's going to take more work in the kitchen than the weight room I'm sad to say..I really am, because I have goals and would like to look a certain way, but I have a hard time staying committed to my diet, and everyone seems to want to try and get you off of it as soon as you start :p

But to make excuses? not really my thing, I feel I can do what I want if I really commit myself to it...and I believe that's what most people have a problem with, assuming they want it bad enough. That's why only some people accomplish that end goal with their bodies, I'd like to do it just once to say that I did, for myself, not to be validated by anyone else.

• Like 1

You can never out-perform your genetics, but everyone is capable of getting to a very good standard of strength/fitness/physique.

Me for example, genetically I'm a skinny-fat ectomorph... I've got a small frame/bone structure, struggle to gain muscle, and gain fat easily. At school I was picked last in sports and had to hang at the back with the fat kids in running class. From knowing mine and others exercise/diet routine, it feels like I have to work twice as hard to build half the muscle as anyone else, and work twice as hard to achieve half the cardio fitness too.

But I do it anyway.

I'm in better shape now than most guys ten years younger than me. And I will continue to see how far I can push myself.

• Like 3

One of the women at my gym recently did a fitness comp. She has quite low BF levels for a woman, but did not look as cut in the lower torso as a number of others competing. Yout petite friend could look at a recent photo of her and think, that's good that's the look I want. She would not realise she was on a fairly strict diet for like 13 weeks I think beforehand + did a few saunas + was on thermo fat burner supps + on diuretics + in the gym minimum 5 days a week. It takes a lot of commitment. She said she will tire of it in a few years.

• Like 1
Bruce Leigh
You can never out-perform your genetics, but everyone is capable of getting to a very good standard of strength/fitness/physique.

Me for example, genetically I'm a skinny-fat ectomorph... I've got a small frame/bone structure, struggle to gain muscle, and gain fat easily. At school I was picked last in sports and had to hang at the back with the fat kids in running class. From knowing mine and others exercise/diet routine, it feels like I have to work twice as hard to build half the muscle as anyone else, and work twice as hard to achieve half the cardio fitness too.

But I do it anyway.

I'm in better shape now than most guys ten years younger than me. And I will continue to see how far I can push myself.

Ecto's are typically hard gainers but a hard gainer gets more respect in the body building world than someone who finds it easier, a mesomorph.

I am a mesomorph by the way.

Ecto's are typically hard gainers but a hard gainer gets more respect in the body building world than someone who finds it easier, a mesomorph.

I am a mesomorph by the way.

I've a friend who is an endomorph, the contrast is incredible. As a teenager he could run the 100m in less than 12 seconds, and although only 5'6 he's built like a tank. Never exercised, he's a genetic freak. Now in his early thirties, he's still got calves twice the size of mine and can come close to my lifts without having done any exercise for 15 years. Of course he likes his food so he's very overweight now, but I have no doubt if he trained he'd be out lifting me in a couple months.

You can optimize what you have, but you can never escape your genes. No matter what most of us do, we will never look like the genetically blessed.

• Author
georgejungle

A lot of great opinions here. Thanks for sharing..

I too think we're all capable of so much but it's up to conquering the excuses and sacrificing a lot at the dinner table if you want to look like those Magazine Covers and you'd need to really live it, to keep it. Most people don't want to and that's ok.

I am one for exercising to be healthy and feel good. I know I COULD get "ripped" but I like pie and milk shakes from the malt shop. :)

• Like 2

The choices made while growing up play a huge role as well...it's quite easy to set yourself up for failure, and I constantly see parents doing this to their kids...truly unfortunate...

• Like 2
Most of the people that others feel to be genetically blessed just worked their butt off to look that way. I was acquainted with a young model who almost never eats a slice of bread, and wouldn't even consider eating ice cream. between that, and working out, that's how she appears so genetically blessed.

I was told last week at work that I was genetically blessed. I explained that no I wasn't, far from it as it happens since I'm an ectomorph, I just choose to educate myself and I know how to train while most people in the gym don't.

• Like 2

Genetics do indeed play a huge factor. The way around it is thru correct eating habits, proper excercise and a regime that fits your lifestyle.

My hips aren't going to shrink , the bone structure is what it is. Instead I concentrate on keeping postive on other areas, from eating well & drinking water.

When you hit mid age, you are happy to lift and properly excercise. The Body doesn't need to be abused with bulky muscles, Just good muscles that maintain stability. My heart is the best muscle and it doesnt need to be ten times bigger, just stronger to maintain:)

• Like 1
rocketman122

theres no secret to get a great body. its very simple.

-HARD work, not going to the gym, but going to the gym to work, not socialize. I train 2 times a week but my mind set is to make it count. my sessions are short heavy intense. im in pain for 1-3 days. I should be going every 5-7 days to the gym according to HIT. not many can train like this.

-food, the stricter you are the better and faster your results. this is a huge area to discuss, but basically quality unprocessed food. good protein and complex carbs, low sugar, low salt, low fat. I eat to live, I dont live to eat.

-not working crazy amount of hours at work. it will affect your nervous system if you work a lot of hours. everyone is different, but me personally, over 37HRS, my body doesnt recoup fast enough. dpeneds what kind of work though.

-enough sleep. some need 6 hours, some more. I prefer 7 and another 2 in the afternoon. you heal at your fastest rate when you sleep. even sitting in a chair and looking at wall is about a 1/10 speed wise compared to sleep.

-I know many will say diet is 50% of achieving a great body. imo, a focused and determined mindset is much MUCH more important. if you dont have the mindset/will power to do what you need to to get that physique then food and training is only done half assed. if you have the hunger and rive to do the necessary tasks OVER A LONG PERIOD, thats more important and food/training is not an issue because you have the mindset to get there.

people are looking to reinvent the wheel. I believe in basic hard work and being consistent. everyday the same food. everything is calculated and weighed. genetics is not an issue because most people wont do the necessary tasks to get the body theyd like. hey, better for me. I stand out from men around me.

Edited by rocketman122

No, we cannot all be ripped. After losing a lot of weight or having a baby, some people have lose skin or 'pouches' that can only be removed with plastic surgery. I am 'ripped' everywhere but my stomach. It's so frustrating. My doctor told me it doesn't matter how strict of a diet or training program I follow, I will never have a flat, ripped stomach without plastic surgery. :(