4 body shapes for women? Why are there only 4 to 5?

Nickierose19

I never really knew to apply how to dress considering I'm not really any of the standard shapes. I have used body shape calculators that try to help with attire and how to dress. They'll usually get obsessed with my big shoulders/chest being so much bigger than my hips it get assumed I need to hide the waistline because I get the apple category or inverted triangle but my mainly issue with dressing my figure is my hips not aligned with the shoulders but the waistline isn't included in the problem. I can't achieve a true hourglass figure because my hips don't compare to my shoulders in size.

The thing is with this is the apple shape mainly has weight in the waistline.

Inverted triangle have no definition in the waistline. Otherwise I have similarities to this shape.

Pear are my opposite. Only time I've ever been confused for pear is when I do my whr lol. It's funny because it's my opposite. I have wide shoulders big bust slimmer hips in comparison.

Hourglass makes sense in description. My bust and hips are significantly bigger than my waist. And my waist is the smallest part of me well defined when I'm at a light weight. I tend to also gain weight like this shape in the bust then thighs and butt waist last. I tend to dress like this shape but it can over exaggerate my broad defined shoulders. My shoulders are the same size as beyonce's hips supposedly 38" while my hips are smaller than Candice swanepoel by an inch supposedly. My bust is pretty full 32Dto DD. 38/36.5/23/33. That's the difference between my shape and an hourglass. Since none of my dimensions are about the same size. My shoulders always are way large than my hips. But my hips tend to have an effect on my waistline still so it's like wearing a shirt that cinches in at the waistline and it shows how small the waist is but also shows how big my shoulders and bust are compared to my straight hips. How does one obtain a balanced look if I don't want to minimize my shoulders. I'd rather make the illusion of wider hips. I have a bigger butt as it is. It doesn't really help my front figure. I'm also turning more into this shape as time goes on I have lost about an inch and half off my waist at the same size. without losing weight 98-101 lbs on average. Which I seemed to start out as an inverted triangle at 18 and 19 now in the past 5 months my waist has just shrunk for no reason. Back then I still dressed like an hourglass basically accentuate the waistline to bring out curves my waist has always seemed to go "in" even with straight hips. Is that even possible or normal to change shapes?

Advice?

I'm also no a rectangle since neither my bust or hips are less than 10 inches bigger than my waistline.

Edited by Nickierose19
Look for a celebrity with the same shape and copy their style.

NOOOOOOOOOO! What we don't need is one more unoriginal person in the world. The most attractive women are the ones who have a unique appearance. It's also a sign that they don't follow sheepishly the latest BS to come from television.

Edited by M30USA
Lernaean_Hydra
NOOOOOOOOOO! What we don't need is one more unoriginal person in the world. The most attractive women are the ones who have a unique appearance.

Oh come on now, how "original" can an adult woman's style get? There are standard forms of dress and styles that you can wear without looking like a clone of someone else or some dreary uniform. What is a unique appearance" to you anyway? I mean good lord, you get too "unique" and you'll start looking like something out of the Hunger Games :confused:.

I think FitChick is right on the money. By finding a celeb with a similar shape at the very least you can best see which cuts and styles are most flattering.

• Like 1
  • Author
Nickierose19
Oh come on now, how "original" can an adult woman's style get? There are standard forms of dress and styles that you can wear without looking like a clone of someone else or some dreary uniform. What is a unique appearance" to you anyway? I mean good lord, you get too "unique" and you'll start looking like something out of the Hunger Games :confused:.

I think FitChick is right on the money. By finding a celeb with a similar shape at the very least you can best see which cuts and styles are most flattering.

Some celebrities I found similar were Erika eleniak and Angelina jolie when I was young.

Now I haven't really seen a woman with extreme measurements like my own especially in the shoulders.

I have shoulders like about the size of jessica biel's katey perry's bust size.

And lower half would be like Candice swanepoel's as of lately only my hips are an inch smaller I have a slightly rounder butt and my thighs touch. 23/33. She's 23/34.

• Author
Nickierose19

Well I guess I fit the hourglass the most. I have a defined waist though and I gain weight on my thighs butt though after the bust. My hips are 10 inches bigger than my waistline and 8 inches larger right at the bones above the bust. So most of my hips measurement is how wide I am rather than my butt. But they don't have fat on them it's just bone. Plus I have broad shoulders... So Idk I'd be a mix of lollipop goblet and very little hourglass.

• Author
Nickierose19
That's awesome! I'm an hourglass. :)

lol I meant lollipop. I always identify as lolli.... But I have broad shoulders. And I have been losing my waistline. It's about 23" nowadays from 24-25. I have 33" hips to match that so it gives me an hourglass look. 36-23-33 is technically an hourglass measurement since it's over 10 inches. But my 38" shoulders give me a more goblet look. I don't gain weight on my hips. You can feel my hip bones are very hard. So when I gain weight I eventually look straight and top heavier even more. I have a small frame so all the clothing I wear gives me a top heavy look because my defined features aren't that prominent with clothing on if it doesn't hug my hips and cinch in at the waistline. In legging though I look straight... My hips don't curve at the bottom. They curve at the top near the waistline right at the hip bones I have high bones. I have long legs. So I have a lot of lollipop features only my hips are actually 10" bigger than my waistline (hourglass feature) along with wide shoulders (goblet characteristic)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Nickierose19
Nickie, are you and I about the same size on top?

I'm short idk my size. I'm a small but that size is too long for me since I'm short. I fit the extra small better in height but I'm too big for it. If I had one tailor made it would probably medium. I'd probably be medium if I was were average height.

• Author
Nickierose19
Ohh okay but I mean bust size lol.

yeah right now I'm a 32D. I've been a 32C 15 lbs smaller. And a 32DD-F cup 10 lbs heavier. So my size fluctuates a lot.

• Author
Nickierose19
Oh yea I apologize you said that in an earlier post on another thread (one of mine). You said mine look similar to yours. :)

yeah tey do and it's alright.

• Author
Nickierose19
I think my body shape on the whole mostly resembles Jessica Biel. Or Kristin Davis with a bigger bust. Or the reverse of that, Britney Spears with bigger hips & butt.

Kristin davis is a small B cup 32/34B cup. But I get what you mean waist to hip you're in the 25-35/26-36 range. Jennifer Lawrence is around that size too plus bigger breasts.

I also always thought of myself as a small version of Jessica biels. I have the same proportions as her sorta 39-26-36. Mine are 36-23-33 I have the butt but just on a smaller level.

• Author
Nickierose19
Wow Jessica Biel's got a 39" bust?! Okay that I don't have. I have like Mira Sorvino's bust with Jessica Biel's butt. Lol.

well it says she's a 36C... So I guess. She doesn't really look it imo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author
Nickierose19

Btw I added photos to my gallery on how I look now. I'm not a traditional hourglass but I'm a top hourglass

• Like 1

I think you look great.

Here are some things to explore for your shape.

Joggers: they will give you a Lil extra hip to match your shoulder width and bust. http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=86138893

An Aline dress would also suit your shape. http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/560480065/Free-Shipping-Women-s-KM-Ruffle-Collar-Big-A-Line-Sleeveless-Stripe-Evening-Prom-Mini-Dresses.jpg

Adding a belt will help too

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/623980038/-font-b-Discount-b-font-Free-Shipping-2013-Women-s-Fashion-New-font-b-Designer.jpg

Aline skirt, busy pattern or pockets or pleated would suit your shape

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/4/9/0/7/1537094/image4xl.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQW4rFW807CGbWEvyDedShM7DfY695Ft2dE2NMWQGknpg-aHACjSA

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlU6O_nd20JooW-9tP3rrFyKFi3sXVCerzAbKa36JOYo0To2M_

Obviously your own style, likes etc. These are the kinds of clothes I like to wear. Perhaps you could use these ideas and go try on a whole bunch.

• Author
Nickierose19
I think you look great.

Here are some things to explore for your shape.

Joggers: they will give you a Lil extra hip to match your shoulder width and bust. http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=86138893

An Aline dress would also suit your shape. http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/560480065/Free-Shipping-Women-s-KM-Ruffle-Collar-Big-A-Line-Sleeveless-Stripe-Evening-Prom-Mini-Dresses.jpg

Adding a belt will help too

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/623980038/-font-b-Discount-b-font-Free-Shipping-2013-Women-s-Fashion-New-font-b-Designer.jpg

Aline skirt, busy pattern or pockets or pleated would suit your shape

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/4/9/0/7/1537094/image4xl.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQW4rFW807CGbWEvyDedShM7DfY695Ft2dE2NMWQGknpg-aHACjSA

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlU6O_nd20JooW-9tP3rrFyKFi3sXVCerzAbKa36JOYo0To2M_

Obviously your own style, likes etc. These are the kinds of clothes I like to wear. Perhaps you could use these ideas and go try on a whole bunch.

I didn't add them yet lol. I got side tracked posting my other thread. But I just posted how I presently look my shaped has changed by a few inches here and there but anyhow I am still interested in increasing my hip width since my shoulders are about 5 inches bigger. My bust though is about the same size 36-23-33. Which is why most calculators say I'm hourglass or top hourglass if that's an option. Of the twelve shapes I'm kind of confusing though. Because I can be similar to a vase at times but I'm also similar to a lollipop. And my measurements in hips and bust aren't that far apart either. But I take tips from both shapes really.

I didn't add them yet lol. I got side tracked posting my other thread. But I just posted how I presently look my shaped has changed by a few inches here and there but anyhow I am still interested in increasing my hip width since my shoulders are about 5 inches bigger. My bust though is about the same size 36-23-33. Which is why most calculators say I'm hourglass or top hourglass if that's an option. Of the twelve shapes I'm kind of confusing though. Because I can be similar to a vase at times but I'm also similar to a lollipop. And my measurements in hips and bust aren't that far apart either. But I take tips from both shapes really.

I did see your new pics. Probably just as you posted them.