I had located a MMA place to try a ways back, but waited for various reasons over the past two years to try it out . The place looked like a positive, fun place to train - very qualified JKD and Filipino MA teachers. Not the old school stances and white uniforms and obtaining belts - or MMA fighting in rings or using classmates as punching bags - more show up in sweat pants, have fun, work hard, and learn real world stuff.

Went in for my first "trail" adult classes, before the U.S. holiday here expecting a bit of standard punching, kicking class...maybe serious tone...and instead was treated to a hour of instruction on..... knife fighting. First instruction from joking instructor "see a knife - run away". :laugh: Then I proceeded to learn how to "slice and dice".;)

I am dealing with a sprained tendon, but this was not too bad.They tell me next week will be more structured JKD and more vigorous which is kind of what I was hoping to try out.

Assuming this tendon does not bother me more, I am going to try this out for the rest of the summer. Main goal is to loose some weight, increase my balance and body movements, confidence and self defense, and have some fun. I was told I will need to get some boxing gloves soon. My wife thinks it's a bit strange for my age, but I think its never too late for a happy childhood... or try something new.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 7
sterlingarcher

I'm 29 and started boxing a year ago. It's very fun and great workout, the hardest I've ever tried I think.

In the beginning the focus was on using proper punching and stepping techniques. It wasn't until after almost 2 months we started getting into proper sparring sessions. Very fun indeed.

• Like 1

Glad you're having fun!

Are you planning on fighting though? It's called mixed martial arts for a reason; fighters are fully trained in various fighting discipline.

If you don't do the same, you'll get your ass handed to you in more ways you can imagine...

But hey! If you're doing this for fun and to stay in shape, knock yourself out! Pun intended

:)

• Like 2
  • Author
Glad you're having fun!

Are you planning on fighting though? It's called mixed martial arts for a reason; fighters are fully trained in various fighting discipline.

If you don't do the same, you'll get your ass handed to you in more ways you can imagine...

But hey! If you're doing this for fun and to stay in shape, knock yourself out! Pun intended

:)

they have all the main martial art styles - including stick and weapons work. Its a interesting mix of really well qualified school and instructors, with real world training, but its not about competition fighting...more about just sparing and handling yourself and being fit. They specifically advertise as "you won't be treated like a punching bag"...... But yes eventually once I have my movements and foot work down - I expect to take and give few hits - but I am not there really to try to knock someone out - or get knocked out....maybe just a good hit or throw or two to the mat ...later in my training:p

I am older and this primarily to get in better condition, including mentally, have some basic self defense skills/confidence, have some fun in a group setting.

We will see how it goes.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Author
I'm 29 and started boxing a year ago. It's very fun and great workout, the hardest I've ever tried I think.

In the beginning the focus was on using proper punching and stepping techniques. It wasn't until after almost 2 months we started getting into proper sparring sessions. Very fun indeed.

That's what I hope for.....fighters seem to be in great shape. This place teaches boxing - monkey and muay thai - if I want to try those styles.

Lots of focus on my foot work last night...man I am clumsy.

Sounds similar to when I did Krav Maga. Boxing is my favourite though, I love that sport.

• Like 1

I do judo and kickboxing, I love them! I did MMA sparring which was awesome, it was so much fun, especially combining the two martial arts!

Definitely spar though, its extremely useful to be able to use what you've learnt in different situations! I started sparring within a couple of weeks of taking up kickboxing, I used to try spar with the best in the club, I learnt a lot very quickly!

• Like 1
Ninjainpajamas

Sounds like a fun and interesting way for you to get back into shape, just take it slow, real slow...the last thing you want to do is injure yourself trying to be a Bruce Lee.

I could imagine your wife is raising an eye-brow just waiting for you to come home with bumps and bruises, she's probably not going to be too happy about that. I wonder if she'll get onboard with it, so keep yourself safe and fake any kind of pain you're in so she doesn't get upset...Espon salt baths are nice.

Hopefully these guys are real competent when training people and assessing their age, health and experience...not sure what kind of condition you are in and how long you've been out of physical contact sports or physically grueling conditioning but if you're starting from scratch there's a lot of muscles and ligaments that haven't been stretched out in quite a while, expect to be hurting but hopefully in a good way.

I'm not much of an MMA type myself, I'm more interested in traditional boxing, that would be great to get into shape with. I'm 33 now though, I've taken a lot of punches in my life with real fights and playing sports, probably smashed my head into another persons head thousands of times...probably why I can't remember a damn thing, but otherwise I feel perfectly fine and experienced no other side affects...

where am I again? no you can't take my pink scooter to the park, I already told you the muffins are in the oven.

• Like 4
ThaWholigan

Sounds awesome!

Can't wait to do this myself! (Feels like I've been banging on about it for years! SOON!)

• Like 1
  • Author

1) Just take it slow, real slow...the last thing you want to do is injure yourself trying to be a Bruce Lee.

2) I could imagine your wife is raising an eye-brow just waiting for you to come home with bumps and bruises, she's probably not going to be too happy about that. I wonder if she'll get onboard with it, so keep yourself safe and fake any kind of pain you're in so she doesn't get upset...

3) Hopefully these guys are real competent when training people and assessing their age, health and experience...not sure what kind of condition you are in and how long you've been out of physical contact sports or physically grueling conditioning but if you're starting from scratch there's a lot of muscles and ligaments that haven't been stretched out in quite a while, expect to be hurting but hopefully in a good way.

1) Yep - this is actually one of the few accredited places for JKD (bruce lee students) in my area. But didn't good old Bruce injure is back seriously with too many "good morning" back lifts? I know back issues all to well and have worked hard in my training to strengthen avoid and minimize back issues. In fact you can say its a core focus - lol. But yes, I need to take it easy.

2) Wow - you hit a bigger point than you can imagine with this recommendation (WAY BIG huge complicated back story). I am following your advice here In fact I did not say a thing about knife fighting - only that I had fun. But this may change if I get my daughter involved.

3) The trainers and school is really impressive. The website is all about teaching of all ages and fitness levels and not beating people up. I am in my late 40's. Part of the reason I delayed trying MMA was that I was terribly unfit (and overweight) several years ago. Over the past 4 years, I have gotten in decent enough shape through strength training, mild jogging/interval running, and yoga and other related flexibility and core exercises that I am ready to try. But injuries at my age crop up more than I want and take a while to go away. I recently strained my tendon in my foot/ankle with trap bar deadlifts and interval running.:o I am sure this place will tax me a bit with new moves and efforts, but that's all good if I focus and know my limits.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 1
Never heard of any weapon training in an MMA class?

I did it for a couple of months, it was extremely hard. Kudos to those who can stick at it (and fight in the ring!!).

Like other martial arts MMA has become its own thing. The knife fighting components of Filipino based styles was adopted to get around Spanish soldiers breast plate armor. And some say the attacks on the extremities style was adopted by Bruce Lee in the development of JKD and Americans in the development of Kenpo Karate. It's a visually flashy style as opposed to in close grappling and Muy Thai thus good for movie work.

It does seem as if the owners took two similar styles and tagged "MMA" to their name.

• Author

Second class. Better, more intense, still some knife work, but good warm up work, and also punching and blocking. My forearms and shoulders are slightly sore from minor hits and locks. There is even a proper way and tricky to get up once your put on the floor and someone might be coming back at you.

In reading more this is class and school is really a JKD "concepts" plus with Filipino arts, accredited by Dan Inosanto. They have also have kick boxing, BJJ, and Krav Maga classes I will explore. I think for now the JKD and maybe a KM class will be all I can fit in my schedule. These two "systems" seem most real world.

I am glad I waited a bit to get in shape, at my age, I was at least able to keep up (mostly - not completely embarrassed) with the younger guys. One of the instructors that was working with me had a kind of thin/wiry build....but he had amazing arm and grip strength on me and an intensity in focus and attacks - it got my attention for sure. I would not have given him a second thought if I saw him outside the gym - but he could do some damage quickly.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 1
Grumpybutfun

Keep working the program and don't forget to practice in between classes. Regular boxing also will assist in endurance and stamina. Remember to perfect the technique as skill and strategy are important in MMA. I'm competitive so I actually like the sparring, but if that isn't for you, then you picked the right place for you. Have fun with it. Age has little to do with it. It is about fitness level, strategy and skill.

Good luck,

Grumps

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dich:

Don't expect weight loss from a JKD class

now for the MMA class

look up BJ Penn's

"Fight gone Bad - workout"

Have fun - -stay motivated (age means nothing -- but just a little slower is all)

• Author

Thanks for that reference - found the video for that workout.

One day was 10-15 mins of bird dogs, planks, pushups, body weight squats, etc as a warm up and then 30 mins of mitts and gloves work (boxing) with my partner. I was sweating up a storm !

yesterday was kicking boxing after warms ups, followed by stick work. Not so good with the sticks, prefer kicking and punching work.

I already do 5x5 SL program on the off days. Yoga on mornings before JKDC at night. Hill sprints once a week.

I am sore lately. this is the main issue with age - I don't recover or heal like I used to. Plus minor ailments that come to most. :( but grappling work starts in a two weeks....:eek:;)

Different feelings doing MMA - interesting to explore this. Will see how it goes.

Edited by dichotomy

So glad your giving it a go!! Its the mental benefits that have outweighed the physical for me, more confidence, focus, less stress, my brain seems sharper for learning something new that is challenging my body in terms of reflexes, coordination and memory.

Ive been going to an mma gym for near a year but only do muay thai and boxing, also slightly older (mid thirties).Still feel very much like a beginner but my fitness and body made rapid gains quickly as did explosive power (from thousands of sprawls,burpees, abdominal word and heavy bag work). Probably dont weigh more (have always been slim) but my arms, back, shoulders and pecs seem bigger while rest of my body is more toned, pretty happy!!!

ps first three months I got a lot of pains - wrists, legs, lower back etc, it was generally linked to technique and lack of use of certain muscles than anything serious - it passes once your technique improves and body gets used to it - swimming has really helped with lower back and other issues, both as a warm up and warm down

Whats sparring like in the martial arts you have chosen? is there much body weight exercises as well?

• Author
So glad your giving it a go!! Its the mental benefits that have outweighed the physical for me, more confidence, focus, less stress, my brain seems sharper for learning something new that is challenging my body in terms of reflexes, coordination and memory.

Ive been going to an mma gym for near a year but only do muay thai and boxing, also slightly older (mid thirties).Still feel very much like a beginner but my fitness and body made rapid gains quickly as did explosive power (from thousands of sprawls,burpees, abdominal word and heavy bag work). Probably dont weigh more (have always been slim) but my arms, back, shoulders and pecs seem bigger while rest of my body is more toned, pretty happy!!!

ps first three months I got a lot of pains - wrists, legs, lower back etc, it was generally linked to technique and lack of use of certain muscles than anything serious - it passes once your technique improves and body gets used to it - swimming has really helped with lower back and other issues, both as a warm up and warm down

Whats sparring like in the martial arts you have chosen? is there much body weight exercises as well?

A year of muay thai? You must have learned a lot. I was taught last week about kicking from the waist and trying to go through the person. I actually kind think I would like muay thai more than JKDC, but this style includes some kick boxing anyway.

I agree with the mental and physical challenges you list. Would add that for me there were some other reasons for me to explore this kind of class, lets just say its an experiment and a bit of mental therapy to try this... outside my comfort zone and personality - but that's the point to finally try this.

Its only three weeks and I got a decade on you in age, so it is expected I would get sore. I got my first major bruise on my forearm from one of my practice partners. I am flat footed and uncoordinated on moves at this point. If I can get the sequences down, and foot work (stay off my heals) I would do better. But while fit for my age, I am currently a bit overweight, and need to loose some fat for sure to get lighter on my feet and feel better.

I am not sure of the term sparing? We team up, and practice moves, and it involves some hand arm contact (hence bruise), we have also used mitt and gloves to practice hitting, and held up out gloves while someone slaps us at the head with their mitts (blocking practice), I did kicking into a partner holding up kick pads, and in two weeks we practice grappling. But I have yet to see to people actually put on gloves and protective gear and really go at it.

Depending on the night - body weight exercises are part of the warm ups. Nothing I don't do anyway for the last several years, but more rapid fire without rest.

The dojo has many other classes and styles I could explore ( muay thai, BJJ, Krav Maga, etc) than just JKDC, but JKDC in itself is a blend and I will try it for a while longer and see how this all works for me.

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • Author

Update - I passed my first formal testing. An hour of demonstrating boxing, kicking, grappling, trapping, stick and knife techniques. Over 20 different techniques I had to show I knew. One of the techniques itself had 17 different movements. I was a sweat ball and huffing after demonstations.

All of this for just one stripe on my white belt. Three more and I can get a yellow belt. Maybe by next summer. They make you earn your belts at this academy.

My youngest daughter has joined me at the academy in the kids class earlier in the evenings. She watched me test last night. We practice together at home. Nice daddy daughter times.