The Dukan Diet: Progress Report

Day 1 -

Weight Code: 20022

Today I ate low fat protein. This is my first day of the Dukan Diet. I was previously very successful on this diet, but I didn't finish the consolidation period, and didn't keep up with the maintenance.

Due to life stress, job, death in family, moving, (not to mention most recently quitting smoking), I did not watch my diet, nor did I exercise.

My weight has skyrocketed, unfortunately.

You know it shouldn't be a problem for me to just tell all of you anonymous internet posters my actual weight that I weighed in at this morning.

But, honestly, I was shocked. I can barely admit this to myself.

So, for now (coward that I am), I will enter this weight amount in code form.

When I've made some significant progress, then I'll eventually share the actual numbers.

But, for now, I'll just say I lost 1 lb. or kilo etc.

Weight Code: 20022

- Feel free to comment about your own weight loss/gain stories

- What worked for you or didn't

- Exercise type/frequency

Someone posted about DDP Yoga which I'm going to check out.

My idea is to do a lot of walking which I've started, and to eventually start jogging.

Though I think walking, biking, and swimming would be the kindest sports considering my weight.

• Author

This morning's weigh-in shows a drop of 4.22 lbs.

I kept myself hydrated yesterday, so I'm not sure if this is just a fluid drop.

It could be, considering the day before the diet I had consumed a lot of sodium which could've led to water retention.

Today is another protein day.

• Author

Although my next official weigh-in isn't until tomorrow. According to the scale I have lost another 1.2 lbs.

• Author

This is the beginning of Day 3.

I just had my morning weigh-in: in 48 hours I have lost 6.42 lbs.

It's another protein day!

• Author

Today's weigh-in.

After 4 days of low-fat protein and keeping myself hydrated: 9 lbs. lost!!!

deathandtaxes

Yay for progress.

I am not a fan of fad diets. But if it works, good for ya! But is it sustainable? Can it be turned into a lifestyle? I did a quick read of the Dukan diet. So many rules.

Besides the numbers, how do you feel, OP?

• Like 1
  • Author

Today's weigh-in (5 days): I've lost 9 3/4 lbs.

I've added vegetables to the protein now, so I'm now in the Cruise phase.

@ deathandtaxes

Yes, in theory, I'm not into fad diets either. People considering this should check their liver and cholesterol levels with their doctor and discuss their plan. Most doctors would probably not recommend this. But, I respond very well to a low carb diet, and that's even during regular times. I find I have less brain fog when I eat less carbs and, although I do not have celiac disease, I do seem to fare better on gluten-free products (clearer head, more energy).

The Dukan is the simplest diet I've come across. In the attack and cruise phases, you can eat as much as you want and when you want. There's no calorie counting or portion control. The hitch, though, is the type of protein and its preparation is very limited, so some people might not be able to do this because it's so bloody boring.

What keeps me motivated is the results! I've not found anything as efficient as the Dukan.

What I didn't do previously was finish the consolidation phase nor practice the maintenance.

It's a lifelong thing. I'll need to practice the maintenance for the rest of my life, apparently. That means one protein day a week.

I've done detox fasting: 7 day juice fast, 3-day Edgar Cayce Apple detox, so I think I'll be able to do it.

But, like anything you get out of it what you put into it, and I'll need to remain committed.

Dukan says once you're on maintenance, then you can eat whatever you want for the other 6-days. Sounds like a dream come true! Imagine Wendy's bacon burgers, Dairy Queen Blizzards, pizza, beer, lol, okay I'm getting carried away. I don't think one should gorge with all of that, but essentially Dukan says you more or less can.

During the consolidation phase, previously, I actually continued to lose weight (albeit at a lower pace). So, I might have to tweak things a bit to suit me.

Maybe I'll only need an every 10 day maintenance instead of every 7. We'll see.

As for how I feel, I must say that I feel pretty good. I was a bit tired, yesterday. But, overall, I'm not hungry. I'm glad I added the veggies today because I was getting bored, but again the results are pretty amazing.

Edited by ja123
  • Author

My weight was the same today. I wasn't surprised as I feel I have some water retention.

I'm thinking of doing the Consolidation Phase for a bit and then head back into to the Cruise phase again. The reason for this is that I don't want to stop the diet. But, if I just eat whatever regular food, even if it's just for a day, it will be a major psychological set-back which could end up derailing this attempt.

Better be proactive, methinks ... even if the weight-loss will be slowed down a bit.

So, 'till the next update ...