Progress report: quitting smoking

Does anyone want to join me in this endeavor?

I feel I need to come clean to others about how much I despise myself for smoking.

I almost quit last week (48hrs), but then took it up again.

My task today is to read as much as I can of Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking".

I also need to make a "clean lungs" chart that I can post on my wall and tick every day I've gone without a cigarette.

Honestly, I am completely disgusted over what I am doing to my health, not to mention my pocket book.

I had a date with a non-smoker last week, and was able to go without cigarettes. Maybe the endorphins from the date gave me the boost I needed because that kick-started my 48 hr abstinence.

Maybe I need some sex to help me quit smoking! lol

• Author

Okay, so I'm opening the Allen Carr book now ...

I'm on page 60 of 219.

I'm posting this because it's a beautiful day, here ... and I want to do everything I can do to procrastinate.

But the hatred towards this terrible addiction is really getting me down and affecting my self-esteem.

I'm just sooo angry at myself.

Anyhow, I shall move my butt away from my computer where I'm too tempted to surf the net ...

I'll be back to post a progress report of where I'm at with the book, a little later.

I'm trying to stay honest here.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 2

I never smoked in my life, however, for the past 3 months I've been smoking more than a magic show. I must quit as evidently this terrible habit is only detrimental to my health. I lasted 48hrs a few days ago as well but caved in to the bad habit once again. I don't find myself addicted to it, it's just a terrible habit of having something on my hand and blowing smoke out. I smoked my last cigarette this morning and hope to stay off it at least for a little while.

• Like 1
TylerDurdenn

You smell disgusting, your nails and teeth look nasty and your lungs are probably ****ed.

Please stop smoking!

Good luck :)

• Like 3
CrystalCastles

Print off a picture of healthy lungs.

Then print off a picture of smoker's lungs.

And print off a picture of what lungs look like when they have been consumed by a cancerous tumour.

Look at these pictures whenever you feel like you need a smoke.

To do something with your hands, keep a rubber band in your pocket. Or a bouncy ball. Or something to occupy yourself with when you're stressed. My dad was a smoker for most of his life. 5 years after he quit, he got cancer in his tongue, and in a lymph node. The tumour was cut out, so he's fine now. He used to smoke when he was stressed or in company. Keep smoking and you'll regret it when you end up in a hospital because it will kill you.

• Like 3

Everything kills at some point. I do not condone smoking at all. But my old man was a life long smoker. Didn`t get him the end. BUT I think its a good thing to give up.

And print off a picture of what lungs look like when they have been consumed by a cancerous tumour.

To do something with your hands, keep a rubber band in your pocket. Or a bouncy ball. Or something to occupy yourself with when you're stressed. My dad was a smoker for most of his life. 5 years after he quit, he got cancer in his tongue, and in a lymph node. The tumour was cut out, so he's fine now. He used to smoke when he was stressed or in company. Keep smoking and you'll regret it when you end up in a hospital because it will kill you.

• Like 1
  • Author
But it looks cool.:p

Honestly, that's one of the things I like about it. Not that it looks particularly cool on a woman, but the images of the tough guys (e.g. Bogart) and the days when life seemed more carefree (e.g. no seatbelts) are appealing.

Carr has an answer or this, too. I just need to let his message sink in.

• Like 1
  • Author

I will do this tonight and incorporate it in my "clean lungs" chart that I will post on my wall.

Thanks!

• Like 2

It does look cool on a woman. A Marlboro between the old filter tips is a ....... But yes give up.

Honestly, that's one of the things I like about it. Not that it looks particularly cool on a woman, but the images of the tough guys (e.g. Bogart) and the days when life seemed more carefree (e.g. no seatbelts) are appealing.

Carr has an answer or this, too. I just need to let his message sink in.

• Author
Everything kills at some point. I do not condone smoking at all. But my old man was a life long smoker. Didn`t get him the end. BUT I think its a good thing to give up.

You must be a non-smoker, eh, Haydn? If not, then you are a confirmed smoker who is in denial.

As per Carr:

- Lots of people point out that "Uncle Fred" smoked 40 a day and lived to 90. But the reality is 50% of smokers will die or be crippled health-wise due to this addiction.

- It's true everyone dies from something. That's another common argument from smokers. But would you willingly jump in front of a bus to shorten your life? Jumping in front of a bus is less expensive even. Why bother looking both ways when crossing the street? Smokers want to live. But they're playing a very dangerous game of Russian Roulette.

I am playing a very dangerous game of Russian Roulette.

And I hate myself for it. :(

• Like 1
  • Author
You smell disgusting, your nails and teeth look nasty and your lungs are probably ****ed.

Please stop smoking!

Good luck :)

Thanks!

You're right. I shudder to think about what my lungs look like. I'm disgusted and I feel so ashamed of myself.

How could a smart person engage in such *STUPID* behavior?

I hate myself for it!

I never smoked in my life, however, for the past 3 months I've been smoking more than a magic show. I must quit as evidently this terrible habit is only detrimental to my health. I lasted 48hrs a few days ago as well but caved in to the bad habit once again. I don't find myself addicted to it, it's just a terrible habit of having something on my hand and blowing smoke out. I smoked my last cigarette this morning and hope to stay off it at least for a little while.

Good for you! You've not been smoking long enough to have incurred major health effects.

I'm scared sh*tless ... I have a tight chest and pain. I'm going to quit and get myself a lung scan. Honestly, I feel like sh*t and I'm terrified.

Good for you for stopping for 48 hrs and again today. You can do it! The trick is never to take another cigarette again because that one more time cigarette leads you to the next one and the next one.

I think the most difficult part right now is feeling hopeless. And also admitting to myself that I've been such a fool and I hate myself. I feel like sh*t.

But, I'm now at page 85 of the book.

I'll go back to reading ...

And no, Haydn, I do not have a sexy slim cigarette in a long holder ... I just have a nasty ol' fag between my lips...

• Like 1
  • Author
It does look cool on a woman. A Marlboro between the old filter tips is a ....... But yes give up.

I wonder what Morrissey would say about smoking?! :p

• Like 1

Denial, every time. I stopped 8 years ago. But have dipped in and out since. But the craving does go. I think i smoke at least one every year. I got a plastic ciggie that worked pretty well.

But you are right. Try to quit and do something else with you hands?

You must be a non-smoker, eh, Haydn? If not, then you are a confirmed smoker who is in denial.

As per Carr:

- Lots of people point out that "Uncle Fred" smoked 40 a day and lived to 90. But the reality is 50% of smokers will die or be crippled health-wise due to this addiction.

- It's true everyone dies from something. That's another common argument from smokers. But would you willingly jump in front of a bus to shorten your life? Jumping in front of a bus is less expensive even. Why bother looking both ways when crossing the street? Smokers want to live. But they're playing a very dangerous game of Russian Roulette.

I am playing a very dangerous game of Russian Roulette.

And I hate myself for it. :(

• Like 1

My bf has successfully quit smoking since April 1st (no joke) with the help of an electric cigarette. His whole extended family is on them now and even most of his friends. It looks a bit weird (definitely not cool) but it seems to do the trick for them.

He even sometimes forgets to take the thing along now when he goes out; something that would have never happened when he was still on the cancer sticks...

His smell and taste have drastically improved too.

Good luck with your effort.

• Like 5
  • Author

Good for you for stopping, Haydn! I can only imagine it must have been hard with the cosmopolitan, artistic circles that you hang with ...

Congrats to your BF, TAV. Does his electric cigarettes contain nicotine? I've tried the vapor ones, but it's just not the same.

I'm up to page 104 of the book (yay!) and he says that we shouldn't have to use willpower because if we do, then we'll still be smokers who deny themselves cigarettes; thus, at considerable risk for relapse. He also makes arguments against replacement strategies.

I'll take a break for coffee. Take Advil for my headache, then back to reading ...

CrystalCastles

Everything does kill because life is not forever. But smoking is a serious issue for me because of my dad's health problems and my grandfather passed away because of lung cancer as a result of his smoking habits. It was a very painful thing for my family to go through. Maybe it didn't kill your old man but it killed my grandpa and did damage to my dad. There is nothing "cool" about that.

:(

• Like 1

Fine. Then they should not have smoked. But they did. i said it looked cool not that it was cool they died of smoking related illnesses. Sort it out.

Everything does kill because life is not forever. But smoking is a serious issue for me because of my dad's health problems and my grandfather passed away because of lung cancer as a result of his smoking habits. It was a very painful thing for my family to go through. Maybe it didn't kill your old man but it killed my grandpa and did damage to my dad. There is nothing "cool" about that.

:(

todreaminblue

Hey, i have started to quit smoking smoking a lot less nearly there ....wish i would have started earlier, I have to go under general soon......i dont respond under anesthetic and smoking doesnt help me....i stop breathing......so ...it would have been really good if i could have completely given up.......i didnt know i would be going under general so soon.......hopefully it will be ok.......if not ....i think that this might be an incentive for lots of people around me to stop smoking.......they are pretty worried at the moment.......so am i.....my family needs me.......so if you dont want to quit for you which you do.......the people around you will be glad you are around longer.......best of luck i hope you quit never to return to ash and the smell of stale ashtrays....deb

• Like 1
Good for you for stopping, Haydn! I can only imagine it must have been hard with the cosmopolitan, artistic circles that you hang with ...

Congrats to your BF, TAV. Does his electric cigarettes contain nicotine? I've tried the vapor ones, but it's just not the same.

I'm up to page 104 of the book (yay!) and he says that we shouldn't have to use willpower because if we do, then we'll still be smokers who deny themselves cigarettes; thus, at considerable risk for relapse. He also makes arguments against replacement strategies.

I'll take a break for coffee. Take Advil for my headache, then back to reading ...

Nope, only nicotine flavour he's got, no actual nicotine.

Tbf, I never thought he would keep it up since he has had a lot on his plate this last half year and I figured it would be the wrong time to quit something he had been doing for some 20 yrs. Of course I supported him but I had my doubts.

I think his kids constantly nagging him about what they learn in school about the effects of smoking might have had something to do with that. :p

As for the replacement strategy thing; now his body is no longer craving the drug, the fact that he keeps leaving his fake ciggie at home is a very good sign I think. I think he mostly just needs something in his hands when he is nervous etc.

• Like 1

That's also something I noticed when eating food I couldn't taste anything. I tried ecigs and find them to be disgusting. It feels like I'm in a steam room inhaling menthol. With that being said, I'm determined to put the cigs down. Day one here we go.

• Like 3
  • Author

@ deb I'm praying for you for your operation! Stay strong, sweetie. Quitting smoking would be good beforehand, yes, but the doctors will keep a good eye on you during the op. Maybe afterwards, you won't feel the need to smoke! Have you read Allen Carr's book "Easy Way to Stop Smoking"?

@ TAV - so, your bf is over the physical addiction. Apparently, it only takes 3 days to rid our bodies of nicotine, but 30 seconds to become addicted again if we take another smoke.

@ JDPT Keep it up! And keep posting about your progress: you are inspiring me!

@ Crystal Castles As Allen Carr is explaining in his book, smoking is not just a bad habit, it's an addiction. He really doesn't blame smokers at all which is good because we've been shame enough. Mostly from ourselves if we're honest.

I guess that's where I'm at ... I have to let go of the shame in order to let some hope into my life. It is only through transformation that shame can dissipate, though, and for me it is really facing up to this smoking predicament. I feel so awful about it, and I am afraid to face the 50%-plus probably chance of disease.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement, Everyone! If I didn't post here, then I would've given up trying to read the book already...

CrystalCastles
Fine. Then they should not have smoked. But they did. i said it looked cool not that it was cool they died of smoking related illnesses. Sort it out.

Ok how about you relax. There's no need to be rude or insensitive.

You wrote "because [smoking] looks cool". I am allowed to disagree with that. It doesn't look cool when you're in a hospital dying. There's nothing cool about abusing one's health.

Not too sure why you decided to take a jab at me. I thought the OP wanted encouragement to quit. So that's what I was trying to do.

sorry,just really needed a

toke.

Ok how about you relax. There's no need to be rude or insensitive.

You wrote "because [smoking] looks cool". I am allowed to disagree with that. It doesn't look cool when you're in a hospital dying. There's nothing cool about abusing one's health.

Not too sure why you decided to take a jab at me. I thought the OP wanted encouragement to quit. So that's what I was trying to do.