Body Type: "Fit" vs. "Athletic"

On OLD, people designate their own 'body type.' What is the difference between "Fit" and "Athletic" ? Thank you for clarifying.

On OLD, people designate their own 'body type.' What is the difference between "Fit" and "Athletic" ? Thank you for clarifying.
By "people" I assume you mean woman (from a mans experience here)? Good luck on this one. It's the same as "I work out 6 times a week". Yeah, but you fogot to mention you eat a pizza and a gallon of ice cream after you work out. It's the same as "Curvy" (another active thread on that right now).

If you are trying to figure out what they really look like, ask for a current pic, ideally that day or a recent head to toe pic.

• Like 1

I think:

Fit refers to regular working out/exercising and generally just taking care of themselves.

Athletic refers to working out and exercising and sometimes training for an event, whether its sports, a marathon or the like.

• Like 4
I think:

Fit refers to regular working out/exercising and generally just taking care of themselves.

Athletic refers to working out and exercising and sometimes training for an event, whether its sports, a marathon or the like.

I can buy this. I am Fit and Athletic. I grew up playing lots of sports and I still do. Like when someone says "You are naturally Athletic and will pick this up quick".

In my experience, some men describe themselves as athletic in OLD when they are overweight. You'd think they'd choose "average" since average means overweight these days.

Yep, ask for current photos. Have them hold up a current magazine or newspaper in their photo to be sure.

• Like 2
  • Author

Sounds like any one can post a photo of themself and self-describe as "Athletic" even if they are overweight. However, to be "Fit" that indicates at least a healthy BMI.

• Like 1
Have them hold up a current magazine or newspaper in their photo to be sure.

You can't be serious. I would never post a false photo, and I most certainly wouldn't pursue a woman who treats me like a criminal before even meeting.

• Like 2

I would see 'fit' as someone who looks like they have good cardio fitness but not necessarily much muscle, i.e slim or runners physique, and athletic as someone who has noticeable muscle strength and definition geared towards certain activities, like rowing, martial arts, gym, or something like that.

• Like 2
I would see 'fit' as someone who looks like they have good cardio fitness but not necessarily much muscle, i.e slim or runners physique, and athletic as someone who has noticeable muscle strength and definition geared towards certain activities, like rowing, martial arts, gym, or something like that.

Agree. I used to describe myself as 'fit' but not more as 'athletic' because of boxing and weight training. Broader shoulders, being more 'built', etc.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

I think most people are so delusional that they'd consider "fit" to be able to walk around the block without having a stroke, and "athletic" if they could walk two blocks without one....:rolleyes:

TFY

• Like 1
todreaminblue

fit means you can tie your own shoe laces without help from another as you walk down to the local rsl and athletic means that you can tie your own shoelaces which happen to be on reebok running shoes with your head between your knees in a yoga position just before you do a triathlon ....maybe.......deb

• Like 1
johnpatric

According to the English language...

The word "athletic" is used to describe athletes. Athletes are people who are involved regularly in sports, people who train for the sake of sport careers or simply for fun, such as marathon runners, martial artists, hikers, any one who is involved in sports.

If you just play a sport for fun with your friends once a week, I don't think that would classify you as an athlete.

When the English language describes "athletic" as an appearance, it is used to describe athletes who have athletic bodies, which depending on the sport, they can be muscular, but for most sports, athletes spend time in both strength training and cardio - so some athletes like marathon runners are not all built with muscle because their sport evolves around fast movement. That being said, not all athletes look "athletic", but they are all physically fit (or at least they should be, or are getting there).

"Fit" derives from the word fitness, and is commonly used in the term "physically fit" which basically just describes attributes a person has that allows them to be physically active. And is commonly used to describe being in shape, it describes people who go to the gym, weight lift, do cardio, and are in good physical shape. But in this day of age, people describe themselves of being "fit" as just being strong, or capable to do physical activity. Or in the appearance of looking "fit".

Which is obviously hard to tell...

For example you can look at a skinny girl who doesn't do any physical activity, and people may say "oh she is fit because she's not fat." But that's not the case, because she has no muscle, what she does have is all fat even though it doesn't appear so, and she won't last that long during physical activity - cardio or strength training at all, because her body is not fit. Likewise you can look at someone who appears to be overweight, and they can be in great physical condition and very fit.

Just because someone is thin does not mean they are fit. And just because someone is fat, does not mean that they are not fit. There are dozens of people above their healthy weights that are fit.

Athletic and Fit are two separate things. For example, a hardcore bodybuilder = physically fit, and weight lifting is not commonly known as an "athletic sport" like basketball. However, most athletes are obviously physically fit, and are very involved in fitness routines. Most are actually. Athletes are dedicated to their goals, and spend lots of time training on the side.

Which one am I? Both! I am physically fit, my endurance is high, as is my strength, I'm an athlete into many sports and a martial artist. In my martial arts we focus a lot on strength training as well as cardio. Being an athlete takes a lot of dedication and work. And also a lot taking care of your body, because you can easily get injured, or over-train. You can also easily become addicted to physical activity. Over-training is not healthy.

learning_slowly

Concerning a girl:

Fit -> somebody that you want to take to bed.

Athletic -> somebody that once in bed, doesn't just lie there.

Lol.

I imagine old is a date site. Why don't they show pictures anyway? If they're not cheating, why not put their photo up?

"Fit" that indicates at least a healthy BMI.

Not so. I am 6'3" 190lbs and BMI says I am overweight every year when I go for my employers health screening.

I get described as fit, muscular, tone, solid, athletic, great shape, nice body, etc. BMI is not your friend here.

King Bowls

I have a chimpanzee body type. Minus all the hair and the knuckle walking

Not so. I am 6'3" 190lbs and BMI says I am overweight every year when I go for my employers health screening.

I get described as fit, muscular, tone, solid, athletic, great shape, nice body, etc. BMI is not your friend here.

Whoever does your screening needs to check their maths. 6'3" and 190 lands you a bmi of 23.7, which is safely within the 'healthy' range.

• Like 3
Ninjainpajamas

The honest truth is if we took these terms literally and to the extreme then hardly anyone would qualify as "fit" or "athletic" because most people aren't investing enough time and energy to be on that level.

So for the sake of OLD and dating mostly average bodied souls, with the exception of the body-builder for men here and there and the pilates girl, you're pretty much have this..

Pilates girl in your head

Pilates girl in real life

Athletic man in your head

Athletic man in real life

Let's face it people, you're probably not doing cross-fit or anything to the extreme....probably just going to the gym here and there taking a class or working out, maaybe rock-climbing once in a blue moon, maaaybe eating right for the most part...but you're more than likely not a true "athlete" or truly "fit" and even if you were it doesn't mean you look anything like the person on the "diet" box of cereal which because of the milk gives you more calories than you probably realize anyway because you're probably drinking 4 cups of vitamin D milk but only counting the number on the actual box...without the milk.

So appropriate to the context of "athletic" and "fit" in OLD and in the real world with mostly average bodied people...

Athletic = someone with a more muscular frame, maybe even noticeably so...someone broad shouldered, larger arms/back, someone who probably played sports decades ago in Highschool or whatever.

Fit = is basically "skinny" with a low percentage of body fat relative to the average fatty population of the planet which is quickly becoming the new average, so in 20 years I suspect fat with will be considered completely average. Fit will be like for people in their late teens - early 20's mostly...maaybe, who haven't gained their grown-up fat yet.

So to refrain...athletic can be fat, just somewhat muscular larger build at some point in that persons life. Fit is essentially skinny, meaning you ate a celery stick and a carrot instead of a greasy burger and fries and because your stomach doesn't roll over your waistline like a landslide of dough, you are considered fit.

You're welcome.

• Like 3

According to the U.S. Dept of health, your BMI is in the healthy range at 23.7 so something's wrong with your employer's health screening numbers.

Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

That's because you're (incorrectly) using body mass index and not body fat percentage. Athletes/being athletic usually fall under 6% to 7% body fat while people who are fit fall under anything from let's say 8% to 15% body fat. At least that's the common metric that people use to distinguish the word athletic from fit. Aside from, you know, things like being a player for the New York Giants.

Edited by ThatMan
thefooloftheyear
That's because you're (incorrectly) using body mass index and not body fat percentage. Athletes/being athletic usually fall under 6% to 7% body fat while people who are fit fall under anything from let's say 8% to 15% body fat. At least that's the common metric that people use to distinguish the word athletic from fit. Aside from, you know, things like being a player for the New York Giants.

I agree with you with the exception of your numbers...Most world class athletes arent under 6-7% bf...Maybe a fighter making weight might, or a distance runner, but those levels are unsustainable over time...Most people cant stay healthy when bf levels go that low..

Speaking of football, there are NFL lineman that have "unhealthy " body fat percentages, yet are athletes in every respect..

Those scales/tables are absolute nonsense...Anyone with the least amount of muscle mass will throw that out the window...

TFY

A picture is worth a thousand words. I recently spotted a photo of a man I had briefly emailed on OLD. I think we may have talked a few times on the phone. The same photo was on his current professional bio. Taken eight years ago. He was going gray back then so his hair must be nearly white by now. He was a bit heavy then, so god knows how fat he is now.

That's why current photos are so important. If there is some local festival or beauty spot or tourist spot, I will tell him to have his picture taken there "so I can get a sense of the local color." More often than not, if they bother cooperating, it will be of other people or just a landscape. Usually I never hear from them again.

I suppose Skype is another way of weeding out the fakers but I am bad at hiding my disappointment or shock.

Charlie Harper

Who cares if you are not perfectly fit? Having a good sized dick, that just wont quit, attached to a guy who knows how to use it, makes all women forget if is BMI is 28...

BTW I think women with a BMI from 23 to 30 are the hottest, super skinny or skeletal is not my type of "hot" body.

Now OLD means

Fit = overweight.

Atlethic = Fat LOL

Who cares if you are not perfectly fit? Having a good sized dick, that just wont quit, attached to a guy who knows how to use it, makes all women forget if is BMI is 28...

So their initial attraction is related to the size of your dong? Do you go around with it hanging out to attract women? :laugh:

Good point about the football players. Not all athletes are fit. And technically even pot-bellied bowlers are considered athletes. But this relates more to skill than athletic ability.

You are fit when you can put on your socks without sitting down. You are athletic when you can put them both on at the same time without sitting down.

• Like 1