theonlyjuan

In 9 months time I will be a qualified Personal Trainer

I would like your opinions on what makes a good Personal Trainer

You can add what makes a bad PT also

Tell me about your experiences with Personal Trainers

Thank you :)

yellowmaverick

Really listen to your client to fully understand what he or she wants before you come up with a plan. Not everyone wants a huge butt like Kim Kardashian - make sure you are responding to what THEY want, not what you think they should look like.

Good luck!

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Make the client work HARD...If they dont like it, tough...You arent there to be their therapist or buddy....Most of the personal trainers I see at my gym are so busy texting, bullshytting and flirting with their clients....and they go nowhere at the end....Whats the point of that?

TFY

• Like 2
Under The Radar

I'm a career personal trainer ...... been in the field for 2 decades.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Under The Radar
Really listen to your client to fully understand what he or she wants before you come up with a plan. Not everyone wants a huge butt like Kim Kardashian - make sure you are responding to what THEY want, not what you think they should look like.

Good luck!

This is correct. A trainer should never project their personal goals onto a client. This is why knowing your key demographic ...... who you want to work with ...... is absolutely critical.

A trainer working with young athletes is going to need a different approach than a trainer working with deconditioned and overweight baby boomers.

As a trainer it's your job to educate and motivate. You will find that many trainees are open to learning the best way to achieve their goals ...... which for the general population is usually physique transformation (fat loss + building muscle).

An older trainee might just be interested in more energy, reducing aches/pains, and improving overall health.

While a 30 year old female might only wish to work on areas she depots fat ...... which for most women are the glutes, legs, stomach, and sometimes the triceps.

I am usually successful at convincing people to engage and build the entire body ...... as the saying goes ...... you are only as strong as the weakest link ...... balance is everything.

• Like 1
Under The Radar
Make the client work HARD...If they dont like it, tough...You arent there to be their therapist or buddy....Most of the personal trainers I see at my gym are so busy texting, bullshytting and flirting with their clients....and they go nowhere at the end....Whats the point of that?

TFY

As a new trainer to the field you will most likely be working for a large commercial gym. Unfortunately, many commercial facilities are notorious for employing incompetent trainers who are not up to task.

It's true that results will not come without hard work. However, hard work must be cycled up and down for the average individual to succeed. The principle of sustainability should be any trainer's guiding light when working with the general public. I can assure you that "nuking" clients on the weight pile, without a clear plan to balance harder sessions with lighter sessions, will leave many trainees looking for the exit.

Teaching people to work hard, in the gym, is a skill ...... a skill that can be learned and must be taught for success. This takes time, trust, and communication for optimal results. I can get a 75 year old baby boomer, a middle aged soccer mom, or an introverted college academic to work harder than they have ever worked in the gym ...... if they trust and respect me.

I often say that the most important piece of equipment in my gym is the consultation table surrounded by comfortable chairs. The reason being is that much of the rapport building ...... a critical component to building trust and respect ...... occurs there. Yes, results will not come without hard work, but understanding how to motivate people to do so is very much grounded in psychology. The best personal trainers understand this concept and have high retention rates with clientele because of it.

Regarding cell phones and texting: I have a strict no cell phone policy in my gym ...... myself included. I only allow phones for emergencies or the infrequent "I'm expecting a VERY important phone call from *insert utility service, bank, kids teacher, spouse, etc.*" If it is excessive, or I feel the client is taking advantage of my policies, then I attribute it to incompatibility and let them go.

People that REALLY want to train, with a top notch trainer, aren't going to be on a cell phone. The one's that are usually have poor focus, little training ambition, a lack of respect for my time, and an infatuation with instant gratification. Those individuals never share meaningful tenure at any personal training facility.

• Like 3
As a new trainer to the field you will most likely be working for a large commercial gym. Unfortunately, many commercial facilities are notorious for employing incompetent trainers who are not up to task.

It's true that results will not come without hard work. However, hard work must be cycled up and down for the average individual to succeed. The principle of sustainability should be any trainer's guiding light when working with the general public. I can assure you that "nuking" clients on the weight pile, without a clear plan to balance harder sessions with lighter sessions, will leave many trainees looking for the exit.

Teaching people to work hard, in the gym, is a skill ...... a skill that can be learned and must be taught for success. This takes time, trust, and communication for optimal results. I can get a 75 year old baby boomer, a middle aged soccer mom, or an introverted college academic to work harder than they have ever worked in the gym ...... if they trust and respect me.

I often say that the most important piece of equipment in my gym is the consultation table surrounded by comfortable chairs. The reason being is that much of the rapport building ...... a critical component to building trust and respect ...... occurs there. Yes, results will not come without hard work, but understanding how to motivate people to do so is very much grounded in psychology. The best personal trainers understand this concept and have high retention rates with clientele because of it.

Regarding cell phones and texting: I have a strict no cell phone policy in my gym ...... myself included. I only allow phones for emergencies or the infrequent "I'm expecting a VERY important phone call from *insert utility service, bank, kids teacher, spouse, etc.*" If it is excessive, or I feel the client is taking advantage of my policies, then I attribute it to incompatibility and let them go.

People that REALLY want to train, with a top notch trainer, aren't going to be on a cell phone. The one's that are usually have poor focus, little training ambition, a lack of respect for my time, and an infatuation with instant gratification. Those individuals never share meaningful tenure at any personal training facility.

Everything in this post is spot on. I was lucky; I grew up in a household with an exercise and wellness physiologist. (I guess that was lucky, I had no idea people saved bacon fat until I was in my twenties.....nasty).

The best trainer I ever had was a woman older than I am now by about 15 years. She about killed me :) But she was firm, consistent, and kept up with the latest research. Boy do I miss her.

I cannot imagine what my PT would say if I took a phone in with me and started texting people. In any event, I'm so knackered during those short but intense sessions that any opportunity for a slight break sees me flat on my back praying for the whole ordeal to be over. I don't mean that as any slight to my PT. Without the motivation a PT offers my exercise regime will involve walking, slow cycling, slow swimming the odd set of squats here and there and ambling along to nowhere on the elliptical trainer as I watch tv. All quite pleasant stuff.

For me, the point of a PT is to push me up a level. To kick my backside in a friendly sort of way, scolding me when I slack off - but not in the screamy borderline abusive way I hear from some military style trainers in the park (they're my idea of hell). Balancing stopping me from slacking off with an acceptance that I really have had enough when I drop. Also, obviously, to make sure my technique in doing various exercises (especially squats and anything to do with weights) is the correct one and To give me a bit of validation here and there.

• Like 1