Facial sunscreens?

lollipopspot

I read about the value of wearing sunscreen everyday.

I don't do this, but I think maybe I should.

Most dedicated face and body sunscreens say to reapply every x number of hours. Do people do that on their faces, when they're just going about their day?

Some make-ups and moisturizers have sunscreen in them, but I think people usually just put them on in the morning and don't reapply in 3 or 4 hours. Don't you need to reapply to get the sunscreen protection, and if so, that seems like a lot of moisturizer or foundation on your face.

Chemical sunscreens make me a bit uncomfortable, but the mineral ones tend to make your face white.

Curious what people do, who wear daily facial sunscreen.

I just use fragrance free lotion before I put on any makeup (don't wear much anyway) with SPF 15.

• Like 1

I try to find foundations with SPF, but otherwise, I'll use a light daily moisturizer in the morning with SPF. I cannot put too many things on my face as I will break out. I only think it is especially important if you spend a lot of time outdoors.

• Like 1
liquid_amber
I read about the value of wearing sunscreen everyday.

I don't do this, but I think maybe I should.

Most dedicated face and body sunscreens say to reapply every x number of hours. Do people do that on their faces, when they're just going about their day?

Some make-ups and moisturizers have sunscreen in them, but I think people usually just put them on in the morning and don't reapply in 3 or 4 hours. Don't you need to reapply to get the sunscreen protection, and if so, that seems like a lot of moisturizer or foundation on your face.

Chemical sunscreens make me a bit uncomfortable, but the mineral ones tend to make your face white.

i live in a sunny, dry climate, so daily sunscreen is a must here.

if you live in a place where the weather is mostly overcast or rainy, it's not as important to wear sunscreen daily.

as far as reapplyying goes, i never do since i usually wear it under my makeup. i find that applying it once and then applying my makeup over it is sufficient. but i also wear a hat when i'm in the direct sun.

• Like 2

Absolutely. And on my hands (to avoid age spots).

I grew up on the beaches of Orange County and San Diego in an era when all we wore was Hawaiian Tropic OIL - not sunscreen. Now I am paying the price with having started getting basal cell carcinoma spots as early as the age 25 that had to be removed.

Now, close to 50, my luminous alabaster skin is a bit red and splotched and I wear a Neutrogena moisturizer that is SPF 70. I also wear a hat when it is sunny.

• Like 1
  • Author
lollipopspot
Now, close to 50, my luminous alabaster skin is a bit red and splotched and I wear a Neutrogena moisturizer that is SPF 70. I also wear a hat when it is sunny.

Do you reapply the moisturizer every few hours?

What's confusing to me is that sunscreens seem to say that they don't last all day and you have to reapply every few hours. I'm wondering if you still get some residual protection even when you don't. I can imagine that the chemical sunscreen just soaks in and you lose protection. I don't know what happens with the titanium/zinc physical barriers.

I use it everyday but don't generally reapply it because for work I walk from my car to a building, which isn't far. I don't always put on makeup, occasionally some powder foundation with SPF, but I always apply moisturizer with sunscreen.

Last week, I knew I was going to have be outside for work for about an hour, so I brought sunscreen with me and applied it again before I went outside.

If I'm walking or running after work, I'll put on more sunscreen and a hat.

• Like 1
Do you reapply the moisturizer every few hours?

What's confusing to me is that sunscreens seem to say that they don't last all day and you have to reapply every few hours. I'm wondering if you still get some residual protection even when you don't. I can imagine that the chemical sunscreen just soaks in and you lose protection. I don't know what happens with the titanium/zinc physical barriers.

Ideally, you should probably reapply, but if you're in a building all day you're not in the sun anyway and you're not sweating if off or getting wet, so I assume it lasts longer than when you're at the beach.

I reapply anytime I'm outside for an extended amount of time.

• Like 1
liquid_amber

honestly, the only time i ever reapply sunscreen is when i'm out in the sun all day long with very little shade, or if i'm swimming. the rest of the time, i apply it once and it seems to last all day. i suppose it depends what number sunscreen you're using too. i typically use #30 and i never need to reapply unless i'm swimming. then i make a point of reapplying after i've been in the water for maybe 30 minutes or so. but if you're just talking about daily use, i wouldn't worry about reapplying.

• Like 1
  • Author
lollipopspot
I do, actually.

Do you wear makeup over it that you also reapply?

I think if I reapplied moisturizer my face might be too moisturized. Is what you use fairly light?

Thanks for the responses.

I wear SPF facial lotion every single day without fail.

I'm 30 and I look like I'm 21. I get carded everywhere I go, I've even had people tell me that my ID is "fake as hell." :p

I just have an issue because I have terrible skin (oily/combo) and I get clogged pores VERY easily and most SPF lotions contain ingredients that clog up this kind of skin hardcore.

I've used this lotion:

Amazon.com : Eucerin Daily Protection Moisturizing Face Lotion, SPF 30, 4-Ounce Bottles, Pack of 2 : Sunscreens : Beauty

For years. Dermatologist recommended, doesn't clog pores, SPF, barely any smell. I use it in the AM after washing my face, then apply my makeup and that's it.

• Like 2
Do you wear makeup over it that you also reapply?

I wear eye make-up every day and when I wear foundation, I do re-apply after the sunscreen, yes. (I use a Laura Mercier compact for re-application).

• Like 1

Use a mineral sunscreen with tint; that way you don't look white. You need zinc oxide or titanium dioxide for broad spectrum protection anyway. Make sure it has at least SPF 30.

I usually use a moisturizing BB cream with sunscreen, that way I just need to apply one thing on my face and can be off. :) I could probably be better at reapplying, but there is still some benefit in a 3-hour old sunscreen (at least, more than if you weren't wearing any).

• Like 1

I think I'm gonna give this one a try, do you guys also apply it on the neck?

I wear SPF facial lotion every single day without fail.

I'm 30 and I look like I'm 21. I get carded everywhere I go, I've even had people tell me that my ID is "fake as hell." :p

I just have an issue because I have terrible skin (oily/combo) and I get clogged pores VERY easily and most SPF lotions contain ingredients that clog up this kind of skin hardcore.

I've used this lotion:

Amazon.com : Eucerin Daily Protection Moisturizing Face Lotion, SPF 30, 4-Ounce Bottles, Pack of 2 : Sunscreens : Beauty

For years. Dermatologist recommended, doesn't clog pores, SPF, barely any smell. I use it in the AM after washing my face, then apply my makeup and that's it.