This is what happens when you give up sugar

Wheat, oats and rice can be just as bad. Quick carbs are basically sugar.

Oatmeal is labeled as "healthy" and "slow digesting" but I don't buy it. Before my paleo days would be crazy hungry 45 minutes after a huge bowl.

I think the hardest part for me would be condiments. I could make mayonnaise and salad dressing, but mustard and BBQ sauce? Other than that, give me pies on the holidays and a weekly ice-cream indulgence during Summer and I'm good.

• Like 1
  • Author

I noticed that, too. Any word ending in -ose is sugar.

You don't have to be fanatical about sugar. The tiny bit you'd get in ketchup, for example, won't hurt. It's eating lots of desserts that is bad. I can definitely feel a difference - I get tired and spacey.

I am back on track as of yesterday, with no cravings. I felt like I had a hangover after a day of eating Easter candy that I bought on sale. I can never resist a bargain. Milk chocolate makes me want to eat more, while I can eat a tiny square of bittersweet and that satisfies my chocolate cravings.

I always have to have something with flavor. I know it's not good when I add 4 packs of Splenda to my coffee in the morning and one scoop of powder iced tea for my 16fl oz water bottle.

• Like 1

I stopped eating virtually all sources of carbs except vegetables and milk over three years ago and along with regular exercise it completely changed my life. My health is better than it has ever been, I feel like a million bucks most of the time, I no longer crave sugar, I no longer eat antacids like candy [i NEVER need them any more], my bp dropped from 135/90 to 120/80, 30+ years of joint pain has all but disappeared, I lost almost 70 pounds, my confidence continues to grow, I feel twenty years younger, I am highly motivated to work out and now I am blowing away guys half my age on the elliptical. And I haven't been sick for three years. I used to get sick twice a year like clockwork.

Oh yes, and I have a nice set of man boobs now [the good kind]. :lmao:

Of course, that is only half of the story of how I recaptured my life. :)

Edited by Robert Z
  • Like 1

Never in a million years!!! :lmao:

I'll exercise, i'd exercise 4hrs a day, 7 days a week if I had to, run a marathon once a month, climb a mountain twice a year, compete in decathlons every weekend, before I ever cut out a food!

I love food, ive got a sweet tooth,

I love breakfast, I look forward to lunch and I spend a large proportion of my day thinking about dinner! Don't get me wrong I mostly eat healthy food, I enjoy cooking, even eat organic where I can BUT chocolate cake at work - you bet, takeaway on a Friday - absolutely, sticky toffee pudding on my night shift - guaranteed, BBQ sauce on my hot dog at the footie - of course, sugar in my tea - necessity!!

Ahh......what's the point in life without that stuff? How boring would that be!!!

I might get hit by a bus tommorow and my god would I regret not having my sticky toffee pudding the night before!!! :laugh:

Guess its different strokes for different folks, some folk obviously don't value food as much or dislike exercise, are unable to exercise, or would just simply rather change the way they eat that work out more. I never have been and never will be a skinny guy, I've got a broad frame but I've never been out of shape either, I'm at 185lbs, 14% body fat and I'm happy with that, I wouldn't let myself get out of shape I intend to be the 78yr old man running marathons but not the 45 year old counting his calories!! :D

• Like 2

I haven't eaten added sugar in years. After a while, your body adjusts and I can't even stomach sweets anymore. Sometimes I'll grab something like a Larabar or a red delicious apple and it's too sweet for me to eat. Things like candy make my mouth feel like it's burning.

Supposedly, Americans eat about 150 lbs. of added sugar per capita each year. I feel guilty about not eating sugar sometimes because some poor schlub out there has to eat 300 lbs of sugar a year to make up for me! :(

• Like 2

While I personally avoid sugar filled junk drinks and food, the extremism in the article is off-putting and begs for failure if people aren't as determined as this woman.

It's annoying when one parent wants everyone else in the family to abide by any of their stringent preferences. Even though I personally avoid junk drinks and food, H and the boys enjoy them intermittently. To help, I will bake relatively healthy loaves and cookies, so they can alleviate their sugar cravings in food that also include nutritional ingredients like oatmeal, bran, wheat germ, whole wheat flour, blueberries, bananas, etc.

• Like 2

I received this woman's book for my birthday, so I'll be reading it. I'd added it to my wish list as a reminder to look it up at the library.

I like this. After my pregnancy I'm going to implement this at my home.

I was looking at the book "I Quit Sugar" on Sunday. You might want to check it out. the author is Sarah Wilson, and she has a blog. She only cut it out for a period of time, and uses things like brown rice syrup.

• Like 1
This sort of thing really annoys me. Before about 1600, most human beings went through their whole lives without ever even tasting sugar. You certainly don't need sugar to have a happy, healthy life.

Also, no one is advocating never eating fruit. The key word is "added" sugar. Eating an orange is good; chugging orange "juice" full of high fructose corn syrup is not.

It's really not that hard, people!!!

• Like 2
This sort of thing really annoys me. Before about 1600, most human beings went through their whole lives without ever even tasting sugar. You certainly don't need sugar to have a happy, healthy life.

Also, no one is advocating never eating fruit. The key word is "added" sugar. Eating an orange is good; chugging orange "juice" full of high fructose corn syrup is not.

It's really not that hard, people!!!

It's not hard, no! But why would I take away something I like from my life? I'm not a monk!

When these scientists and nutritionists and health advisors stop every single person smoking, drinking and doing drugs then maybe they can try and force the way they choose to live on me - though I still don't like there chances!!

Till then pass me the double chocolate cake! :love:

Live and let live!

We're lucky not to live in a regimented society where we are able to make our own decisions about what we eat, when we eat and how we choose to stay fit!

• Like 1
It's not hard, no! But why would I take away something I like from my life? I'm not a monk!

No, but you are being poisoned by the food industry. You can choose to be a happy test rat for bliss point engineering or choose to live a healthy lifestyle. Either choice will be with you for the rest of your life. At some point there will be an accounting for your choices.

No, but you are being poisoned by the food industry. You can choose to be a happy test rat for bliss point engineering or choose to live a healthy lifestyle. Either choice will be with you for the rest of your life. At some point there will be an accounting for your choices.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing, that's the point!

On like a meal by meal bases I probably eat more healthily than most people I know! Will I ever cut out sugar, no! Will sugar in moderation kill me, no!

It's not a case of if you refuse to cut our sugar you must eat ready meals and cream cakes everyday of your life!

There are other ways, other ways that I happen to love, to stay healthy that don't involve take something away from yourself you like.

Sure ifyou cut out sugar after a while you won't be able to stomach it - I think that sounds like a great shame! If i didn't play football for a whole season and then went back to it id be way off the pace - doesn't mean that I the love would of gone anywhere.

Life's short, it's for enjoying and finding a way to stay healthy you enjoy! I'm sure theres folk who give up sugar and still can't run a sub 3:30 marathon - as long as I can do that and hang on to the sticky toffee pudding on the night shift then I call that striking a great balance!

Alcohols bad for you, does that mean you should never ever touch a single drop? Paint fumes are bad for you, should you never ever paint? A roof tile could fall on your head, should you always wear a saftey helmet?

Life's full of danger, sure cavemen didn't eat added sugar but they had sabre toothed tigers on their backs!

Moderation & balance is the way - not abstinence.

• Like 2

When these scientists and nutritionists and health advisors stop every single person smoking, drinking and doing drugs then maybe they can try and force the way they choose to live on me - though I still don't like there chances!!

Till then pass me the double chocolate cake! :love:

Live and let live!

We're lucky not to live in a regimented society where we are able to make our own decisions about what we eat, when we eat and how we choose to stay fit!

No one's forcing you to do anything.

If the governments were trying to ban sugar or make it illegal, then you'd have a legitimate point. People saying that sugar is bad for your health isn't a regimented society. It's people giving you information so that you can make smart decisions.

No one's forcing you to do anything.

If the governments were trying to ban sugar or make it illegal, then you'd have a legitimate point. People saying that sugar is bad for your health isn't a regimented society. It's people giving you information so that you can make smart decisions.

I know there not! That's what I'm saying!

I'm just saying these fad diets come and they go and everytime they come people will swear by them....and in the end of the day there'll be the folk who just rode the wave, listened to there body, ate sensibly not extremely, and had a little luck, that'll still be kicking when there 80!

I don't understand becomeing a monk either or a vegan, if people want to let them, but it'll never catch on universally and neither will this

• Like 1
SoonMyFriend

I agree that in general, people consume too much sugar & salt.

The biggest problem is "convenience" food. Once you start cooking your own meals from scratch you can achieve a lot of what the author is talking about without going hardcore ZERO sugar.

I believe eveything in moderation. I also run and stay very active. I eat about 10 servings of fruit/veggies (more veggies than fruit), eat my fibre, my protein, etc. I rarely add salt to my meals when cooking. (I do have an addition to fresh cracked pepper though). I avoid pop, but I do put sugar in my tea. But I also drink A LOT of water every, single day. I have a tiny amount of juice with my morning dose of iron.

But do I chow down on cupcakes when they're brought into the office? YOU BET. Do I occasionally get ice cream from the parlour down the street that makes it fresh in-house? HELLZ YEAH.

I didn't grow up eating a lot of sugar (my dad kept it away from me until I was about 5 or 6), so I don't have a high tolerance for it.

But I see no reason to shut it out entirely. Every now and then, you gotta enjoy the sweeter things in life ;)

• Like 3