Paleo Lifestyle....Anyone doing it?

I started the paleo lifestyle last wednesday, and I have to admit that it's tough on my body, yet I have stuck to it since the. Why did I decide to try this?

I am in my 40s, run 10km+ every lunch in all weather, 5ft 9" at 165lbs. I also run marathons and ultra marathons...I came from a track and field background.

I use to eat a lot of potatoes, bread, cereals, milk with not enough protein and vegetables. As a runner, it's pretty obvious that the less weight you are carrying, the quicker you are likely to be on your feet

Note: I am a sub 3hr runner and have done marathons round the world. My 5km is also 20mins or less. I'll just like to go down to 145 or 140...is this realistic and appropriate for someone my age and height?

For those doing the Paleo lifestyle....how have you found it, and what is a typical daily meal plan for you i.e. do you care to share your meal plan please?

I am open to suggestions relating to grocery shopping, and how to get the weight off quicker. any links to materials and books online

Also, I am not the gym type....but will like to know which machines / exercise are appropriate for someone like me to help supplement the lifestyle

Thanks in advance

thefooloftheyear
I started the paleo lifestyle last wednesday, and I have to admit that it's tough on my body, yet I have stuck to it since the. Why did I decide to try this?

I am in my 40s, run 10km+ every lunch in all weather, 5ft 9" at 165lbs. I also run marathons and ultra marathons...I came from a track and field background.

I use to eat a lot of potatoes, bread, cereals, milk with not enough protein and vegetables. As a runner, it's pretty obvious that the less weight you are carrying, the quicker you are likely to be on your feet

Note: I am a sub 3hr runner and have done marathons round the world. My 5km is also 20mins or less. I'll just like to go down to 145 or 140...is this realistic and appropriate for someone my age and height?

For those doing the Paleo lifestyle....how have you found it, and what is a typical daily meal plan for you i.e. do you care to share your meal plan please?

I am open to suggestions relating to grocery shopping, and how to get the weight off quicker. any links to materials and books online

Also, I am not the gym type....but will like to know which machines / exercise are appropriate for someone like me to help supplement the lifestyle

Thanks in advance

I am assuming you are a man?

No, I don't think its healthy or wise to get down to 140/145...Muscle mass is vital, especially at later stages of life and quite frankly, at that height/weight you would have almost no muscle mass..

TFY

• Like 4
Under The Radar

You will not be able to train or run competitively without complex carbohydrates. Fruits and vegetables will not sustain you in the long term. Endurance athletes are well known for carbohydrate front loading before their bodies are pushed.

In addition, if you are looking to strength train as a supplement for endurance based exercise, then complex carbohydrates are critical for fuel. Glycogen is the preferred energy source for resistance training. Your dietary regimen should match your exercise requirements; you cannot out train a bad diet. Strength training would GREATLY improve your body composition and make you much more resistant to injury.

Since running is your primary interest, and base exercise protocol, how you program strength training is critical. In other words, don't zap your recovery ability, for running, by overtraining in the weight room. This applies especially to legs since they will be used so heavily in you endurance activities.

Twice a week, IMO, would be plenty adequate for resistance training. Of course this assumes good form, proper progression, and the right exercises are utilized. Then, the other days could be spent on endurance training and/or restoration.

• Like 4

I envy you. I tried jogging but had trouble breathing and had to pause into walking a lot because of my stupid asthma. :mad: Absolutely no Olympic lungs.

Thank God that swimming fares far better, 45 minutes without pause, breathing problems or exhaustion. :D

• Author
Runners World is a great resource.

I am aware of all the running sites, like I said...I run marathons and do ultra marathons...being doing it for over 20yrs. Oh, and I have over 90 marathons and ultra marathons under my belt both in Europe and North America, but I do it for fun and as a n excuse to travel

That is not what I am asking for

What do you think is wrong with potatoes?

It's not Paleo

Edited by Tayken
  • Author
Well so what? Why do you think that being paleo is such a good thing? What's wrong with potatoes?

Read my thread again, and unless you have anything related to add...vacate the thread

I read your thread, and it's not clear to me why you think that paleo is the answer for you. But knock yourself out with it, I don't care.

• Like 2

On the potato issue- I don't eat them, but certainly would if necessary, especially in winter (root veges). On digestion the starch is converted to sugar and technically speaking it is no longer a complex carb. The process is the same as refined white foods, and linked to diabetes and all things interrelated.

I did paleo for about 8 months in my early 20's. All pro's about the experience were taken away because it stopped my cycle, completely f'd my hormones, even though I maintained a healthy weight. Anything that can do that is not so good imo

• Like 2

It's not Paleo

And we aren't cavemen anymore with the life expectancy of 30. This Paleo diet is a fad.

If you ignore everyone, at least listen to Under.The.Radar. He tends to know what he is talking about when it comes to training athletes.

Surely it makes sense to become stronger in order to improve or maintain your performance - rather than become even skinnier because that's the only way you are able to carry yourself at speed at your current strength.

• Like 2
  • Author
You will not be able to train or run competitively without complex carbohydrates. Fruits and vegetables will not sustain you in the long term. Endurance athletes are well known for carbohydrate front loading before their bodies are pushed.

In addition, if you are looking to strength train as a supplement for endurance based exercise, then complex carbohydrates are critical for fuel. Glycogen is the preferred energy source for resistance training. Your dietary regimen should match your exercise requirements; you cannot out train a bad diet. Strength training would GREATLY improve your body composition and make you much more resistant to injury.

Since running is your primary interest, and base exercise protocol, how you program strength training is critical. In other words, don't zap your recovery ability, for running, by overtraining in the weight room. This applies especially to legs since they will be used so heavily in you endurance activities.

Twice a week, IMO, would be plenty adequate for resistance training. Of course this assumes good form, proper progression, and the right exercises are utilized. Then, the other days could be spent on endurance training and/or restoration.

You are right...and I'll just like to correct some stuff from my original post. When I said the gym, I was referring more to the dumb bells, medicine ball etc that I happen to have at home also. Since am not looking to bulk, heavy lifting is not for me

I did my usual 10km lunch run yesterday and included some cross training in it....I was winded half way through and felt dizzy when I got back to the office...never felt like that before

I am currently looking at other options, as I think this paleo might not be the right lifestyle choice for someone like me. I have over 90 marathons under my belt, came from a track and field background, do bungees, sky dive, hike etc

I was just looking to take my weigh down a bit from 165lbs (mostly muscle) to 145lbs ish

I will continue to reduce my calorie intake though by eating more protein with low calories, fresh fruits and vegs, water, green tea and no sugar

seekingpeaceinlove

I started reading a paleo diet book late last year and while I've taken a lot of great info from it, I can never go strictly paleo. The most important point for me with the diet was to pretty much cut out processed/refined foods and gluten and eat as much "whole foods" as possible.

My objective was to see if I could remedy my chronic digestive issues and just be healthier in general. It worked. Not only am I 30 lbs lighter, I've also fixed my "leaky gut."

:D

I've been eating "paleo" for the past 10-12 years. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking about. Don't overcomplicate things; eat meat, veggies and a little fruit. That's the basic idea. There are lots of books and websites out there that can teach you the basics. They're all pretty much the same. Mark's Daily Apple is one of the more popular sites.

There's no specific dogma about what to eat. I remember many years ago when I was first learning about the paleo diet after I had been diagnosed with celiac disease (paleo started out in the 70s as diet for celiacs) and reading about The Great Tuber Controversy, ie whether potatoes "were paleo". Worrying about that kind of stuff is just silly to me. (For the record, I eat potatoes, rice and beans -- just not very often! And I do not wear fur loin cloths or hunt animals with my bare hands.)

I agree that 145 sounds awfully skinny for 5'9". I say that because I'm 5'10" and 175lbs, and that puts me around 10% body fat. I can't imagine being too much skinnier.

At your age (and I'm 10 years older than you), there's no point in doing the chronic cardio thing. In fact, it's pretty dangerous if you keep doing it. I don't know what you look like, but my basic suggestion for exercise would be to eliminate the chronic cardio and focus on weight training for a few years until you've developed some balance in your training. Again, there are tons of books and websites on weight training, so I'd start looking there. Focus on compound lifts like the squat, deadlift, bench, rows and shoulder presses. Look for info on "abbreviated training" to learn the basics.

Good luck!

I'm trying recipes for my stomach, but not adopting the diet as a whole. (I have a stomach problem, a bad one that's been ongoing for over four years now.)

I'm trying recipes for my stomach, but not adopting the diet as a whole. (I have a stomach problem, a bad one that's been ongoing for over four years now.)

Has your doc tested you for H Pylori? I haven't but probably should be. I am looking up natural remedies to try. DGL is deglycerized licorice. I need to try that. It soothes and repairs the stomach lining. The apple cider vinegar cure burned my stomach so I'll skip that.

• Like 1
Has your doc tested you for H Pylori? I haven't but probably should be. I am looking up natural remedies to try. DGL is deglycerized licorice. I need to try that. It soothes and repairs the stomach lining. The apple cider vinegar cure burned my stomach so I'll skip that.

I don't have a doctor - no insurance - so I've been handling it as best I can. A lot of things still make me sick - occasionally even things that initially helped - but I have been taking coconut oil again, which apparently combats H. Pylori.

Over the past week, one thing that has helped has been grassfed gelatin added to something like pot noodles, or soup/broth. I managed to keep down the noodles, which I never do anymore. So, I hope it continues to help. I'm taking one teaspoon at the moment, and need to get back to my liquid probiotics (nondairy).

• Author

Oh look at that, my thread has been hijacked...but it's OK, don't ever say I don't care/share :D

Oh look at that, my thread has been hijacked...but it's OK, don't ever say I don't care/share :D

Oh, there was no intention for that there - sorry. :) I was just adding my comment. I have a few books out of the library, and have been reading blogs about it. I can't handle most meat, but broth is okay unless I'm having a day when everything comes back up.

notyouraveragebabe

I did Paleo 2 months ago and it's great. I normally watch what I eat, but with Paleo I cut out diary, bread, and I also added sugar. I felt great, my skin was glowing and my hair also. I lost 8 lbs the first month and I wasn't trying to lose any weight. I'm 5"5" 130 lbs of mainly muscles. I cheated a few days ago and had ice cream, and my stomach disagreed :sick:

• Author
I did Paleo 2 months ago and it's great. I normally watch what I eat, but with Paleo I cut out diary, bread, and I also added sugar. I felt great, my skin was glowing and my hair also. I lost 8 lbs the first month and I wasn't trying to lose any weight. I'm 5"5" 130 lbs of mainly muscles. I cheated a few days ago and had ice cream, and my stomach disagreed :sick:

Naughty Naughty :D

You added sugar...why?

Maybe you are lactose intolerant? Good reason not to eat dairy.

And we aren't cavemen anymore with the life expectancy of 30. This Paleo diet is a fad.

Clean eating is not a fad...and that's what Paleo is, just take away the name.