Spending money on food!!

PoodleGirl

I was interested by a few comments made in a recent thread (titled: What Can I Eat?) regarding bringing one's lunch to work.

I work really long hours in a large law firm and most people I know (I would say 95%) buy their lunch - and sometimes their breakfast too. Thankfully the firm pays for our dinner when we work late! I buy my breakfast every day, and it is usually between $5 and $10. I also buy my lunch every day, and it usually costs me between $10 and $30 a day. I either go to a gourmet sandwhich place or a restaurant with colleagues. Although it does end up costing me an extraordinary amount of money, it is the one time of day that I really look forward to - I get a short break outside the office and get to enjoy some wonderful food. I'd hate to work hard all morning only to be confronted with a soggy sandwhich for lunch. Urgh.

I leave at 5am every morning (gym before work), and often don't get home until after 9 or 10pm. I rarely have anything in the fridge, let alone time to make myself up a packed lunch for the next day. I have sometimes come across friends in other jobs who act bewildered that I throw so much money away on food but I don't think I really have a choice. The problem is, I have gotten so used to eating quality meals that even when I am home on a Sunday I'll go out to eat at a cafe or something for every meal. Do you think this is abnormal? What are other people's spending habits in relation to food??

dudesomewhere

quality meals, hmm

that's subjective to me...

right now I'm shifting away from bodybuilding and pondering about being skinny...too much hard work, hehe. Anyway, I never ate out because the quality food didn't have enough of what I needed in small enough portions. Too much fat and salt and all that's quality about it is it's craftsmanship, not nutritional content. To me a $1 burrito from the supermarket is higher quality nutrition.

So all depends on your mindset and what you think is quality. I carry my little cooler and have little cups for almonds and soynuts(which btw are frikkin awesome for protein), and I either carry 4 slices of wheat bread and peanut butter or prespread that at home and finish off with my babana in each sandwich. I sometimes make it like a hotdog, 1 slice with half peanut butter and half a banana...roll and eat :D

Here's what ppl should carry for QUALITY easy nutrition. Using those little tupperware like cups(any brand will do :p ). A little almonds, some soynuts, 1 egg and supplies for 2 pb sandwiches, 2 bananas(use in sandwich or not, lol), and if you have space and time any extra fruit like apples, oranges..etc

as far as abnormal goes...you sound like my sister :) . So not abnormal, it's just your taste and outlook on what is considered quality.

pitprincess

Oh I TRULY LOVE THE PEANUT BUTTER AND NANA SANDWICHES!

I agree its worth every chew right to the last taste... :bunny:

I am on a diet right now and its funny you should ask this question because I learned it was a bad habit I had to break because it was breaking me!

I clean houses for a living, always running the kids around and never found my self cooking at home anymore.

When I started getting my head together to start this diet(because I Drive a race-car and needed to loose the weight) I realized just how much money I have been spending eating out in locations that weren't cheap as I thought them to be.

I have two wonderful daughters and my husband and my self and on the first week of my diet we saved 300.00

We ate just about every meal out because it was faster. REALLY I had grown lazy because it was so easy to drive and get something and I didn't have to clean the mess. loll

When you figure 300 times 4 weeks in a month you see why you should eat at home.

NOT TO MENTION the weight that you get from eating outside of your own home. :D

PoodleGirl

I am lucky enough to have a small figure, and if I go to the gym 6 days a week (which I do), I can pretty much eat whatever I want. However, I like to feel healthy so when I buy my meals, I always choose fresh food and salads, and often go organic. It's not like I'm pigging out on McDonald's or take-away pizza. In fact I probably eat healthier if I buy my food because if I make it myself I'll just get lazy and go for stuff in packets or the frozen food section.

I don't know how this thread got skewed towards weight loss or whatever. I just wanted to find out the spending habits of others on their food.

pitprincess

Well poodle it wasnt an issue about weighloss I just though i would tell you something that happend to me how I found to save money and it was when i started dieting and started Making meals at home :)

Anyways you save money eating at home :)

Good day :)

When It comes to FOOD, I don't mind paying the money.

But Not everyday.

Everyday, is overkill. For every meal, is overkill. You have a day off and you

still eat at Cafes?? That's a a bit much. Think of all the money you'd save

if you made a meal or two here and there AT HOME.

Anyway, don't waste too much money on Gourmet food. Eating at cafes and

restaurants isn't the healthiest thing to do, either.