How old is too old for piercings?

How old is too old to get something pierced? Like for instance a nose ring, a belly button ring, lip ring, etc. Does age matter to you? Give me your opinions. When does it seem mid-life crisisish? How do you guys feel about all that?

When should a man stop wearing an earring? When does it seem mid-life crisisish for a man?

Pyrannaste

To me any age is either too young or too old for pierced lips and pierced tongue. I have a strong dislike for pierced lips.

I also dislike pierced eyebrows, or piercing halfway the lips and the chin (I don't know the english word for that part of the face). IMO they are gross at any age.

I dislike pierced nose unless the woman looks extremely classy, and has an extremely beautiful face. No matter what her age is. I actually love the idea of a beautiful classy lady who is 40 years old, wears a beautiful, expensive tailleur and has a nose piercing.

Men wearing earrings..... it' about the same thing. If the man looks nice, keeps care of his appearance, a piercing is fine at any age.

But I like them better on very young guys (younger than 25).

Button rings....awkward on any 40+ lady who does not look like a model.

just very personal opinions.

Personally, I LOVE piercings. I don't think there's a too young or too old to get them--as long as you want them. And they're not like tattoos--you can have them taken out. Sure, some people may consider a person's actions suspect if--oh--say...they got a tongue piercing, an eyebrow ring, and a couple of tattoos at an older age to match the new ferrari--but who cares? It's your body and you can make any fashion statement of your choice with it. Besides, it's interesting to learn the deeper meanings behind the piercings themselves. :) So I say YAY to piercings!

I disagree that all piercings look tacky. In India, many women used to (still do, I think) pierce their noses at a younger age and keep them throughout their life. One of my good friends in college was Indian and she was 50 something with her nose ring/piercing. I thought it was beautiful!

I still have my nose pierced and I'm in my mid 30s. I don't think that one needs to be beautiful to maintain this.

With men, earrings look good at any age to me. Especially if both are pierced.

Extra ones on the face? To each their own. I'm not into them. I would think (just a guess) that many people (not all, I'm sure) get rid of these somewhere in their 30s. Do they have to? Doesn't matter to me.

DerangedAngel

Ok. Seriously? I might get flamed by middle aged folks for this, but:

Nose ring: 30.

Belly ring: 30.

Lip ring: Females - 30. Males - 35.

When should a man stop wearing an earring? When does it seem mid-life crisisish for a man?

Never. Never. Always good.

Still, even though I don't think some piercings look good past those ages, who the hell cares? If you want to pierce something, do it. No matter how old you are.

O! I want my nose pierced. Was it painful, shamen?

-Deranged

Hey DerangedAngel: Nope, not painful. But I've had mine pierced for so long that it was pierced with a gun (kinda stupid, in retrospect). Now they are done with needles (safer so they don't pierce your septum). What are you asking me for though? I'm a 35 year old with a nose piercing; too old! :)BTW, I still like the way it looks and foresee no reason to take it out. I'll leave it in till I go grey, along with my 5 ear piercings...

Oh, forgot to mention, I took out my other "more personal" piercing in my mid 20s. I still have a scar!

DerangedAngel

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking pretty seriously about getting it (nose) pierced a while back, but my boyfriend and family flipped.

I have my belly button pierced, and my ears (regular & left cart.). I also had a "more personal" piercing a few years back. Ouch! It never left a scar, not like it would matter though. Might actually be kinda cool. :)

Should I just pierce it and cause everyone to flip out? :p They make such cute jewelry for noses! *sigh*

-Deranged

I have nothing but admiration for people with nice piercings and I also associate them with very in shape bodies and beautiful faces!

I was - and still am tempted by them. But I'm too scared of needels. They freak me out, although both my parents are doctors and my mom is very popular among my friends for "helping out"!

And the very reason I find them so attractive is the huge amount of jewelery!!! Again, just a watcher - I'm very selective about those too! Oh, well, untill I'll grow a will, I'll be settling with admiring it at other people, no matter the age or sex!

Speaking of men, women and age: I think every person ages in a different way! As long as there is harmony between that and their look, it's great! My only concern regards men, age, ear rings and... looking ridicoulous!

Deranged: Do what you feel is right for you. If you feel that your family and bf's misgivings about it are a truly bad thing, don't do it. If you want to do it and you feel good about it (w/o all the worrying), do it. Again, this all sort of depends on your age. I was 21; I did it because I thought my Indian friend's piercing was beautiful.

Earrings look weird on older men? I don't know; I don't think that they do. I've been known to like 'em with lots of tats too though... maybe it's just me.

You know, I plan on keeping my piercings until I die. I think I'm going to be a very weird old person. HAH! I have 6 ear piercings, 1 navel piercing and a tongue piercing. I wanted to get my nose pierced, but everyone is doing it, and I really don't think it will look good on me, but it's just a personal opinion.

Originally posted by Shasta

You know, I plan on keeping my piercings until I die. I think I'm going to be a very weird old person. HAH! I have 6 ear piercings, 1 navel piercing and a tongue piercing.

I'd bet money that the tongue piercing will go at some point, all the people that I know that have had them end up chipping a tooth.

And this is from a guy with a wife that had her tongue pierced and loved it...until she cracked a molar while on vacation.

I kind of agree with DerangedAngel as far as the ages. I was thinking about getting my nips pierced last year (I've never had ANYTHING pierced in my life) but decided against it. If I was 25 maybe...but at 35 I simply felt that it wouldn't have been for me.

blued-mama

If you want it pierced get it done(as long as your over 18). It's your body and you are the one who has to live with it. May peace with your self and tell rest of the world to sit and spin.

Good Luck

Hey wideawake, did your wife have a metal ball on the top of her tongue piercing? I actually have an acrylic one at the moment, and will be getting a rubber one as soon as i get some cash. It helps with the tooth chipping situation.

Originally posted by Shasta

Hey wideawake, did your wife have a metal ball on the top of her tongue piercing? I actually have an acrylic one at the moment, and will be getting a rubber one as soon as i get some cash. It helps with the tooth chipping situation.

Yes she did. She had the metal stud with a metal ball at either end. Rubber sounds like a great idea though!

Kind of wish she had thought of that!

Originally posted by wideawake

Yes she did. She had the metal stud with a metal ball at either end. Rubber sounds like a great idea though!

Kind of wish she had thought of that!

How long has she had it out? Depending on the length of time she's had it out, they may just be able to use a taper(sp?) needle to re-open it. She'll have to take care of it like it was a new piercing again, but it works. I had to have it done to my navel piercing. Just a thought. :)

If you're into it then don't let anyone stop you from doing it. I'm 24 and I just got my nose peirced a couple weeks ago. When I was 19 I got my tongue and both nipples peirced.

I love peircings and don't think any age is too old to peirce.

I do have a little advice though, make sure you don't peirce your nipples until after you have kids, I didn't think of this when I had mine done, it will effect breast feeding.

:) if you want to get pierced, get pierced!!! :)

i have my nose and a nipple pierced (as well as the standard ear piercing). i LOVE my piercings! i have wanted a pierced nose since i was in the third grade...it was a long time coming. but i NEVER thought i would get my nipple pierced.

well...i wanted to get something pierced this year, but i didn't feel like another facial piercing, and i don't want to get my bellybutton pierced, so it was pretty much either my clitoris or my nipple. i was much less afraid of piercing my nipple. the more i thought about it, the more i loved the idea. i certainly didn't do it for shock value, but boy was everyone surprised when they found out! i come across as pretty conservative (sexually) :laugh: and so no one thought that i would get that piercing.

it didn't hurt when i got my nose pierced, but when i got my nipple pierced it hurt so bad that i told my friend who was holding my hand that i was never ever going to do anything like that again. but when i looked at it that first time in the mirror, it was worth it.

i looked into whether having a pierced nipple would affect breastfeeding, and all the information i found said no. but, MS, you said you wished you had waited? was it impossible to breastfeed with them pierced, or just difficult?

cI have it (or all)pierced... you are never too old... :p and I am going to be 30 this week!!! :confused:

Derranged....my Father freaked when my sister and I came home with piercings and tats... (southern man)......... but he accepts our choices even though he may not like them.....he still loves us...

I will say this on belly piercings... if you can not flaunt it please do not do it....

If you get a labree..(sp) pierced go for the smallest possible ball you can it it (big ones look tacky)... I have one and I swear noone ever notices it!! (same people I have seen at work for a year always ask me if I just got it... had it for 4 years now........ :confused: could it be because they are drunk)

Originally posted by lydiamarie

i looked into whether having a pierced nipple would affect breastfeeding, and all the information i found said no. but, MS, you said you wished you had waited? was it impossible to breastfeed with them pierced, or just difficult?

It made breastfeeding difficult. The main thing I hated was that it would leak a lot. I was constaintly having to use breastfeeding pads and change my shirt.

About a year after my daugher was born I was able to put my rings back in. I just had to use a smaller ring.

~Sarah

so you left your rings out for a year and the holes stayed? i had heard of women who breastfed with barbells still in-any thoughts?(sorry that this is a bit off topic)

Funny that I just saw this topic. My wife is 37 and she is wanting to get her belly button pierced with her Sister-in-law, ( They are too close if you ask me, you can look up my other posts to find out why ).

I asked her if it was just because Mandy wanted to or if she always thought about it. Well, she says she's always wanted to so I told her to go for it!! BUT, I want to be there to make sure the guy or gal doesn't talk her into anything else getting pierced, ( If you know what I mean!! ).

So any age if you ask me, personally, I don't pierce or tatoo anything on myself, I've done enough damage to body..... :o

I took mine out while breastfeeding only because breastfeeding is painful at first and it just seemed to me that the jewelry might make it hurt worse.

I got them peirced with a 14g. When I put them back in I used 18g. So they were quite a bit smaller. But I kinda like the look of the smaller ones.

Baby Beaver

no age is too old, if you want to keep a piecing in till you are 60-what the hell, it's your body!

I have my nose, labrett (lip), tongue, bellybutton and ears pierced- there were 8 holes in my ears in total, but now i generally just wear 2, i think more looks over the top!

I draw the line at nipple piercings- I think they look great but my friend's got ripped out at a gig which kinda put me off!

OUCH

i just wear a barbell, i hope that means that my chances of that happening are greatly reduced!