TheFinalWord

Lots of Internet rumors that Joe Weider has passed away.

https://twitter.com/FLEX_Magazine

If you're not sure who he is, he is the one that discovered Arnold Schwarzenegger and pretty much invented the bodybuilding industry. If you've ever drank a protein shake, you have Weider to thank lol (pretty much)

90s bodybuilding legend Nasser El Sonbaty died a few days ago...

Well, he lived a long, successful and no doubt a good life. My first bench and weight set was a Weider. Red wobbly junk bench made in China (nothing against the Chinese workers, they manufacture what the designs call out for...which is as cheap as possible usually) with cement encased in grey plastic for weights. I was just a broke kid and it was what I could afford, so no complaints. An actual high quality set-up would have been cost prohibitive so I am thankful that Joe made stuff I could actually afford. It got me going though and I still used it even when I started getting hex dumbbells and working out at the school gym. So yeah, Joe got me started and I thank him for that. Rest in peace.

• Author
TheFinalWord
Well, he lived a long, successful and no doubt a good life. My first bench and weight set was a Weider. Red wobbly junk bench made in China (nothing against the Chinese workers, they manufacture what the designs call out for...which is as cheap as possible usually) with cement encased in grey plastic for weights. I was just a broke kid and it was what I could afford, so no complaints. An actual high quality set-up would have been cost prohibitive so I am thankful that Joe made stuff I could actually afford. It got me going though and I still used it even when I started getting hex dumbbells and working out at the school gym. So yeah, Joe got me started and I thank him for that. Rest in peace.

Yeah, I remember Weider's guide to bodybuilding...and that first Weider protein powder lol He lived a long time!

Guy was pretty smart...I mean he trademarked biomechanics. It's like when you look back on bottled water and say to yourself "why didn't I think of that" haha