Okay, so this is going to seem like a strange post for this community but since we have such a broad cross-section of humans with so many different experiences, I figured I'd ask.

I just had massive surgery on the 21st of last month, and have had no problems with water retention at all, until today. I'm fairly certain that this sudden edema is linked to the removal of my surgical drains yesterday morning, but this is the first (and hopefully the last) major surgery I've had so I don't know how common this is or what I can safely do about it. I had my first real sweat this morning, which was awesome, but I'm finding a lot of information on the internet (from MDs) stating that exercise can actually exacerbate post-surgical edema. Does anyone have any experience with this? What sort of things did you do to get your fluid balance sorted?

Right now, I'm increasing my protein a bit, limiting my carbs to fibrous fruits and veggies, drinking a ton of water, and adding a little bit of caffeine. Any other things any of you might suggest?

I realize this will likely pass eventually on its own, I'm just kind of uncomfortable and am trying to do everything I can to hasten the process and minimize further swelling.

Cut sodium intake if necessary. I'm wondering if you're body is out of wack from the tubes draining off water. I would imagine that things will return to normal once your body has to adjust to getting rid of the water. If not ask your physician.

• Author

Thanks trevzilla. I appreciate the response. :)

I finally called the doctor yesterday and got the same advice as you've offered. That, and to be patient. Apparently this can last up to two months. It's pretty common according to the surgical nurse. When the JP drains come out, the fluid in that area which has been draining suddenly doesn't have anywhere to go (all of my incisions are tightly closed, even the the little holes from the drains were just tiny dots by the end of the day they were removed) so it accumulates in the area.

The generalized swelling, from what I understand (I'm not a doctor so this part of the equation is way beyond me), is from a combination of the surgery itself (which was massive... 4 hours) and the imbalance caused by the combination of the drugs used, saline, and normal healing processes. I've never dealt with anything of this scale so I had absolutely no idea what to expect. I guess I'll get used to being a smooth gal for a little bit.

• Like 1

I am glad to hear that your surgery went well and that this is not a red flag.

Sodium intake can vary depending on what you eat so just be careful if you do cut some of it out.

Can you personally function on only carbs from fruits and veggies?

I have never done that and am curious on your energy level because I can do that for a cut before summer.

• Author
I am glad to hear that your surgery went well and that this is not a red flag.

Sodium intake can vary depending on what you eat so just be careful if you do cut some of it out.

Can you personally function on only carbs from fruits and veggies?

I have never done that and am curious on your energy level because I can do that for a cut before summer.

Thanks. :)

Normally, I definitely could not function on carbs solely from fruit and veggies. Under the circumstances however, with my physical activity so limited, it hasn't been bad at all. I am including things like sweet potatoes (technically this is a starch, but with all the fiber, it's a tough call), pineapple, and avocado to make sure I get the necessary calories, as well as the nutrients, I need. Also, I have been adding things to my protein (I made chili with black beans last night...there's a link to the recipe in the Water Cooler section) to sort of fluff it up a bit, but I definitely won't be doing this once my water levels are closer to normal. Today is better than yesterday or the day before, but I have a ton of reconstruction work ahead so I will probably have to really toe the line, dietarily speaking, for some time. As with everything, consistency and patience are going to be key.

When I get the go ahead to get back into the "real gym" (I'm just doing cardio, very light weights, resistance work using my own body weight, and working with resistance bands) I will return to my usual diet which includes lots of complex carbs. If you're looking to clean up for summer, you might try something in the middle. More carbs on days when you're training hard, and the modified lower carb diet (fruits and veggies) on the days you're taking it easier. You really can't sustain yourself for too long on just fibrous fruit, veggies and protein unless you're eating massive quantities of all of them or adding fat into the mix. It's great if you want to clean up for a competition (though even the fruit has to go at the end), but if you want to live like a normal human, it's pretty miserable.

Edited by monicaelise
  • Like 1