Bad knees, bad ankle?

Hi there!

I've been trying to lose weight recently and I'm currently at 116 lbs (At 5'2"). I wanted to know some exercises to do, like cardio, but I have bad knees and I sprained my ankle recently and my doctor told me to be careful about it. I can't really run. Any suggestions? I've tried to cut out sugar and processed foods but it doesn't really seem to be making a difference at all.

Thanks!

Use an elliptical machine? It's easy to use it for an hour and burn like 300-400 calories. And it doesn't put much stress on the knees or ankles.

• Like 2
I've tried to cut out sugar and processed foods but it doesn't really seem to be making a difference at all.

Probably because you don't need to lose any more weight. 116lbs is very slim. I am 5'3" and 126 and I'm about done losing weight. Keep exercising and eating well. You're fine. :) Anyways, I have bad ankles and arches so therefore I cannot walk or run long distance, elliptical helps very much. Get a good quality pair of shoes to help and also try swimming.

• Like 2
  • Author
Probably because you don't need to lose any more weight. 116lbs is very slim. I am 5'3" and 126 and I'm about done losing weight. Keep exercising and eating well. You're fine. :) Anyways, I have bad ankles and arches so therefore I cannot walk or run long distance, elliptical helps very much. Get a good quality pair of shoes to help and also try swimming.

I feel huge. Since I switched BC, because I can't take combo pills, I've gained 6-7 lbs. Now I feel stuck at this weight. But thank you for the suggestions! I'll get to the gym to try the elliptical :3

What kind of BC made you gain 6-7lbs? At one point, I really did think my BC pills made me gain weight, but one year out of 6-7 didn't make sense.

• Author
What kind of BC made you gain 6-7lbs? At one point, I really did think my BC pills made me gain weight, but one year out of 6-7 didn't make sense.

I'm on a POP, Nor QD. Its only been some months on it, and nothing else has really changed. Same level of activity, same amount of eating. So, that's the only thing I can really think of. So now I decided to try and change my diet, but that's not really working. I was hoping I could lose weight that way or by exercising more.

Edited by sooniechan
added info
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi there!

I've been trying to lose weight recently and I'm currently at 116 lbs (At 5'2"). I wanted to know some exercises to do, like cardio, but I have bad knees and I sprained my ankle recently and my doctor told me to be careful about it. I can't really run. Any suggestions? I've tried to cut out sugar and processed foods but it doesn't really seem to be making a difference at all.

Thanks!

I'm guessing your running technique is bad and your ligaments/tendons are weak. Have you consulted experts over your running style?

• 2 weeks later...
Forever Learning

I have bad knees and arthritis throughout my body and back. I'm 43, and apparently prone to arthritis. It's mild to moderate, but in the mornings I start out pretty stiff and have to stretch alot to get moving right.

I don't run, I walk, much easier on my knees, and I bicycle (stationary or regular). Also leg lifts and such while on the floor, weight lifting, and swimming.

When walking, whether treadmill or regular walking, have a very cushiony pair of shoes to absorb impact, and thick socks.

Walk on grass (a field that is kept mowed, is great) or a track that is designed to absorb shock (I like grass better though), rather than concrete. THis is what I do, and my knees love me for it. Cheers!:)

The best thing is to watch your intake, keep up with the bike and swimming those are both very good cardio. The problem is that some peoples bodies just hit a point where they plateau and cant lose anymore weight unless they take even more "drastic" measure to lose the fat but i wouldnt suggest it if you have a weak knee/ankle as then you could cause even more damage then it is worth. Also incorporate some toning excercises (low weight/high rep).

I only walk and do endurance weight workouts by Margaret Richard. I've never looked or felt better. I have bad knees and her workouts have really helped me.

Get orthotics or arch supports for your shoes.

Perhaps ask your doctor to switch brands of pills?

Edited by FitChick
  • 2 weeks later...