Latest diet research from Harvard

I agree with the overall study findings and not so much with the article itself. The dreaded "Starvation mode" myth made an appearance by that "doctor" claiming if you start starving your body holds onto fat. Man people in concentration camps sure came out round and plump! I also disagree about grains, I don't think grains are ideal for the human diet even whole and unprocessed, but I suppose making the switch to whole grains from bleached stuff is a good enough step for most people.

Anyways, ultimately, yes, controlling your blood sugar is a better path to health than just limiting calories or eating low fat.

• Author

I have a friend who has always eaten low fat yet her triglycerides are sky high. I eat about 30-40% fat in my diet (butter, olive oil, nuts, cheese, full fat Greek yogurt) and my triglycerides are low. Eating more fat also satisfies you so you eat less overall. However, I would never do the Atkins diet which is too extreme. A friend did the whole ketosis thing and became ill. The Zone Diet and Mediterranean diet are low glycemic and tasty. My cousin is a diabetic and always eats low glycemic foods and is very thin.

• Like 2